Gospel of Judas

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
The Coptic Ps.Gospel of Judas (Iscariot)

Definitely worth reading. Note, the bracketed bits are scholarly 'best guesses' since the actual texts are fragmented by age so there is no surviving text for these bits. In fact, all Biblical texts are like this because of hwo old they are. Better Bibles use bracketed best guess text, poorer versions don't. Further, the original is in Greek, so that this one in English 'flows' so well should indicate it's not a 100% literal translation. Language would be very 'clunky' if translated word for word.

Np. I s alot of good worth reading texts that weren't canonized simply because they weren't discovered in time. That they aren't canonized though shouldn't be seen as necessarily saying they aren't legitimate.

Np. I s alot of good worth reading texts that weren't canonized simply because they weren't discovered in time. That they aren't canonized though shouldn't be seen as necessarily saying they aren't legitimate.
Can you imagine trying to get every scroll into one book? I can't.

Can you imagine trying to get every scroll into one book? I can't.

That was one of the reasons for the Niecine council that came up with the KJV of the Bible. They thought that it was too big, and also that some texts were a bit provocative and could send the wrong message to the masses.

Matter of fact, the Book of Daniel is HEAVILY edited. Seems that everyone liked the story of the lions, but those in power didn't like the basis of the story, which was to question authority.

The pseudepigraphal Gospel of Judas purports to the work of the Apostle Judas. In it Jesus affirms to Judas that his betrayal of Him to His enemies was doing the work of God’s plan, a deliberate contradiction of the writers of the four Gospels.

In fact, the Gospel is false not authentic. A pseudepigraph (pretend writing) purports to be Biblical, but the Gospel of Judas was produced by a Gnostic author many years after the death of Jesus and Judas; thus Judas could not have written it. Gnosticism, a heresy that is beginning to revive today, glorifies the spiritual and denies the flesh.

Several of the USMB members are latter-day Gnostics.

One thing that has always bothered me about the New Testament is the treatment of Judas. No one at the time ever seems to ask why did Judas do what he did. Was it simply out of fear, or greed, or was Judas simply fulfilling his destiny and/or Jesus' orders? Someone had to betray Jesus according to the prophecies and set in motion the execution. So does Judas get damned for this act or was he pulled aside by JC and told was what Judas had to do?

Definitely worth reading. Note, the bracketed bits are scholarly 'best guesses' since the actual texts are fragmented by age so there is no surviving text for these bits. In fact, all Biblical texts are like this because of hwo old they are. Better Bibles use bracketed best guess text, poorer versions don't. Further, the original is in Greek, so that this one in English 'flows' so well should indicate it's not a 100% literal translation. Language would be very 'clunky' if translated word for word.

There are the acts of Pontius Pilate that adds a different perceptive as well. Judas is an authentic book, Pilate has been debated.

there were around 250 gospels, acts and other text, but only four gospels and "acts" made the canon.

There are the acts of Pontius Pilate that adds a different perceptive as well. Judas is an authentic book, Pilate has been debated.

there were around 250 gospels, acts and other text, but only four gospels and "acts" made the canon.

More outside the Bible than in it I like to say.

Judas is pseudepigraphal not authentic. It was written by a Gnostic pretending to be Judas

Judas is pseudepigraphal not authentic. It was written by a Gnostic pretending to be Judas

Not the way the gospels titles work. None were written by the chosen of jesus, Luke never knew Jesus.

The books were written in the name of the apostles not by the apostles

Judas did not have to have written the book himself. It does bring a valid perceptive of the reasons and actions behind the arrest and crucifixion. Judas did not betray but was part of the plan that jesus and presuming god had intended. If Jesus did not die on the cross there would have been no christian movement at all.

Experts have said it is not a forgery.

I absolutely loved the "Testament of Solomon", even though it most most likely wasn't written by Solomon... still a badass read

Not the way the gospels titles work. None were written by the chosen of jesus, Luke never knew Jesus.

The books were written in the name of the apostles not by the apostles

Judas did not have to have written the book himself. It does bring a valid perceptive of the reasons and actions behind the arrest and crucifixion. Judas did not betray but was part of the plan that jesus and presuming god had intended. If Jesus did not die on the cross there would have been no christian movement at all.

Experts have said it is not a forgery.
Forgery? That is a very poor and worthless deflection? There are no Gnostic interpretations having validity.

Forum List

Back