Green, Clean, Energy Fails California

elektra

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2013
Jewitt City, Connecticut
Yes, California has suffered the worst blackouts in years. Yet they brag they have thee most clean energy more than capable at meeting their needs.

Well, it looks like that all that planning, ruling, and regulating has destroyed the grid and resulted in blackouts all throughout California.

As you can see, the total of geothermal, biomass, biogas, small hydro, and wind is sweet Fanny Adams … and now, notice when the solar started to run out in the evening. Just about the time that our power went out.
But as we know, correlation is not causation. So here’s the other relevant CAISO chart, showing the net demand with and without renewables …

And the worst is yet to come! A cloud!

The main concern is people running air conditioners longer will put a strain on the power grid. Power supplies also could be even tighter, as cloud cover is expected to cause a drop in solar power.
cloud.jpg

Last edited:

Texas’ grid operators struggled to meet the record demand for electricity.

Many of the wind turbines could not operate because the wind was stagnant, a common occurrence on very hot days. As a result, energy costs skyrocketed. In Houston, wholesale power prices spiked 49,000% (to $9,000 per megawatt-hour). The Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) warned that reserve margins were so low that it might have to institute rolling blackouts, or controlled interruptions of power service. The independent system operator called for the construction of more gas-fired generating plants.

Texas’ grid operators struggled to meet the record demand for electricity.

Many of the wind turbines could not operate because the wind was stagnant, a common occurrence on very hot days. As a result, energy costs skyrocketed. In Houston, wholesale power prices spiked 49,000% (to $9,000 per megawatt-hour). The Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) warned that reserve margins were so low that it might have to institute rolling blackouts, or controlled interruptions of power service. The independent system operator called for the construction of more gas-fired generating plants.

I've heard that before but I havent witnessed it.
Texas has the biggest wind farms in the country...so if it doesnt work here I dont see it working anywhere.

Texas has the biggest wind farms in the country...so if it doesnt work here I dont see it working anywhere.
They have certainly failed in California, with some of the best places in the country for wind. Instead of admitting failure, the companies go bankrupt, sell the assets. Another company runs the Wind Turbines until they breakdown, then they go bankrupt. I have watched the California Wind Farms get torn down and rebuilt three times now. Each time they get taller, bigger.

Wind energy is marvelous, here to stay, works night and day. The problems with the grid are nationwide and stem from cost saving measures gradually degrading its quality. The grid was built upon solid electrical scientific principles that are no longer taught, that few even comprehend any longer. The noise now flowing through power lines is ridiculous. Add ever increasing demand for precise low voltage DC to power digital electronics. These problems are not going away any time soon no matter how base electricity is generated.

That said, I agree that making windmills larger is not the way to go.

They have certainly failed in California, with some of the best places in the country for wind. Instead of admitting failure, the companies go bankrupt, sell the assets. Another company runs the Wind Turbines until they breakdown, then they go bankrupt. I have watched the California Wind Farms get torn down and rebuilt three times now. Each time they get taller, bigger.

All with the help of the federal government.

Yes, California has suffered the worst blackouts in years. Yet they brag they have thee most clean energy more than capable at meeting their needs.

Well, it looks like that all that planning, ruling, and regulating has destroyed the grid and resulted in blackouts all throughout California.

As you can see, the total of geothermal, biomass, biogas, small hydro, and wind is sweet Fanny Adams … and now, notice when the solar started to run out in the evening. Just about the time that our power went out.
But as we know, correlation is not causation. So here’s the other relevant CAISO chart, showing the net demand with and without renewables …
What DOESN'T FAIL California?

They have only been able to cover for it by continually throwing more and more of other people's money at the problems!

Now everyone is running out! :oops8:

He said $1 trillion in infrastructure investment needed just keep our existing grid going as built. No upgrade or expansion. That's a lot of neglect for no good reason.

Really? Last I checked, farming takes huge amounts of water and guess what California is running out of?
electricity to pump the water is what california ran out of.
Silly fool. Electricity is the least of your problems. You are pumping all of the aquifers dry and Lake Meade / Colorado river is nearly out as well.

Really? Last I checked, farming takes huge amounts of water and guess what California is running out of?

Ah ... water falls from the sky in California ... weird, I know, but true ...

I have no idea why you think the Sacramento Valley is running out of water ... care to explain? ...
Do your purposely plan your stupidity or does it come natural?

Most of California is a desert most of the year, especially the populated areas. You get one rainy season then drought all the rest of the year while water consumption goes on day after day more and more as you drain most of your water from underground and have run out of places to damn up for surface water.

Must be why Month to date columns for Ca are all 0.00.

Forum List

Back