Greenhouse Dreams

I don't know. I was talking to the builder who built the homes in my neighborhood and he gave me the impression that it would be prohibitively expensive. But there seems to be a local phenomenon of folks just not wanting to spend money. Everybody rolls their eyes about how warm I keep my home, but my gas bill is far lower here than it ever was in Washington. Maybe it's a Midwest thing. I could look into the actual cost farther and not rely on anybody else's perception of what "expensive" means.
We've been considering putting in a horizontal loop ourselves.

Google's campus was built in 2015, and I just now found out that it bases all on greenhouse environments...
1644162383301.png

Google is building a giant greenhouse utopia for it’s new campus in Mountain View, California. The campus will feature giant biodomes covering the huge expansive office spaces and will be covered in greenery, shrubs, trees and plants. Google already supplements their power usage with solar power. There are hundreds of solar panels on the roof of their current office buildings. More pictures here: Google's New Campus is a High-Tech Greenhouse Utopia

And in Montreal, the largest rooftop greenhouse in Canada? What a wonderful use of space in cold country winters.
1644164021005.png

I ran across this odd sky shot of Ottawa greenhouses search--
The three-phase plan, outlined in a planning application filed at city hall, details how 549,000 square feet of greenhouse space
would be converted from food production to marijuana production. A second production facility would also be added to the property.
1644541364166.png

They're testing the production of marijuana in there?
So of all places in Canada where they could go, the truckers are driving to Ottawa? lol

Attachments

• 1644540871297.png
    1644540871297.png
    22.9 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
I don't mean to swiftly go from the world's larger greenhouses conveniently placed on old or new factories, to the smaller ones, but I thought if one wanted to profit from their green thumb, having a portable greenhouse might be the ticket to paying for the high prices for meat and potatoes these days of unheard-of Congress' agressive spend-a-thon. making or investing in a portable greenhouse as a sales tool for a community plant sale day... Here are some ideas others have executed well:

This guy has a great page of how his design evolved into a portable greenhouse that was blown over in the wind to one that works better by just making one change:

Last year's homemade greenhouse:
1645005667006.png

He said:​

Last winter I built a wheeled greenhouse/coldframe/potting bench hybrid. My goal was to build a mobile cold frame with the performance of a greenhouse. Empty, it should be light enough for one person to move. It also had to be well insulated and with some stone or water inside able to maintain temperatures above freezing for one or two cold sunless days. It performed well enough to keep the inside above freezing for at least one day following a sunny day, although last spring there were often several consecutive cold and cloudy days. This picture shows the unit with the door propped open. There’s an earthbox inside and a block of stone to absorb and store solar heat. The little box held a remote temperature sensor.

The one that blew down due to being too tall, and the change that made it sturdier, then the changes that made it more efficient:
1645005905365.png
1645006022273.png
1645005968735.png

Now all he needs to do is equip it with a portable light.

On my land, I'd need tractor wheels because of the mud in the winter's rainy season, lol!

You must visit his website above to see all his amazing ideas for life on the land. It's an experience!

Last edited:
Seattle's decorous Biodome Grreenhouses:

1645270405450.png

Plan, things to come, skeletal beginnings of the downtown Seattle Biodomes
1645270610400.png
1645270690202.png
1645271235337.png

First plant arrives, Getting Biodome open for guests, Grand Opening Crowd at Dedication
1645271474587.png
1645270320299.png
1645271743788.png
1645272028324.png

Oh, somebody loves flowers around themselves outside the greenhouse. I so love this one's aesthetic floral artistry:
1645352347383.png

I want this one out by my lake. *sigh* It's so pretty it must be in Heaven, though.​

Half my dream orchids in a place like this one would have to be vanilla...which comes from "beans" that grow inside the blossoming orchid part of the plant

1645352893754.png

1645353395441.png

Dec 04, 2018 · For 300 years, no one was able to get the orchids to bear fruit. Then, in 1836, it was discovered that a miniscule bee (the Melipone) was the sole pollinator of the vanilla orchid.
Everyone knows the scent and taste of vanilla… at the very least we smell it in perfumes and enjoy it in ice cream! But did you know that all vanilla comes from the fruit of an orchid? Of the tens of thousands of orchids known to the world, Vanilla planifolia is the only orchid to produce an edible fruit and what an amazing fruit that has turned out to be…

Vanilla-flower-300x300.jpg
drying-vanilla-pods-300x300.jpg
Green-vanilla-bean-orchid-300x300.jpg
vanilla-hand-pollination-300x300.jpg
1645354214144.png

Ok, ya can't get vanilla beans if you don't have the right bee...the Mexican Melipone Bee, to be exact. *sigh*​

Some of the earliest known use of vanilla was in temples around the Gulf coast of Mexico. The Olmeca people were perhaps the first to use vanilla as a flavoring in drinks. The Totonaca people of the Gulf coast of Mexico were likely the first to domesticate vanilla. The plant and the spice continue to be a sacred and important part of their culture as they consider it given to them by the gods.

In the 1520s, vanilla left Mexico on ships bound for Spain. It was originally imported as a perfume and later it was discovered to also be an excellent flavoring for beverages and sweets. For 300 years, no one was able to get the orchids to bear fruit. Then, in 1836, it was discovered that a miniscule bee (the Melipone) was the sole pollinator of the vanilla orchid. Outside of their native habitat of Mexico, vanilla plant flowers must be hand-pollinated in order to produce the fruit. This means all the vanilla coming from other countries is hand pollinated. You can understand why vanilla is the most expensive spice after saffron!

Each orchid blossom lives for only one day before the next one on the stalk opens. So even though you have just a day to pollinate a flower before it dies, don’t worry, there will be another the next day. Once a flower has been successfully pollinated, the petals don’t fall off but wither to a dark brown (see blog header photograph). The former flower stem elongates into a 6-10” skinny green bean-like fruit. The fruit then matures on the vine for the next 6-9 months before it is ready for harvesting. When the pods are firm and fully formed, they are picked and cured. Some producers prefer to just let the pods dry in the sun, but many growers scald the beans in hot water or steam before the drying process.

1645353997244.png
1645354043610.png
1645354336820.png
1645353957939.png

Sweet dreams are made of this....

1645354077204.png
1645354683542.png
1645354452270.png

Last edited:
For someone who wants a greenhouse seed planting area, and shared with a garden tools kit, I found the do-it-yourself building plan at Ebay for under $30. It looks ideal if you're just growing a family-sized garden and want to do your own startup planting before the freezing weather ends, this would be a nice addition to yard or small acreage to get things moving. If you were to plant a citrus tree, though, you'd need a lot bigger building.

1646164899076.png

I was going to look at a house that had an indoor pool with a glass roof, which would have made a spectacular greenhouse, but I had a realtor investigate it and it was on swamp land, so it was a no-go.
Yep you need to watch out for swampland and hurricane areas if close to the coast or wherever a swamp prospers.

This looks like really cold country, and they're overwintering perennials inside. Every cold country farmer has a few problems with plants...
1646165394988.png

Found this at the BBOG (big blog of gardening)
They had on the same page this if you have an indoor with not much sun: "Supplement winter sun with grow lights."
One of their pages broght back memories of the 35 years I lived in Casper, Wyoming, and this is about the time crocus and hyacinths come up:
1646165873238.png
I just loved the people in Wyoming. They were so wonderful.

Last edited:
Yep you need to watch out for swampland and hurricane areas if close to the coast or wherever a swamp prospers.
This was odd. It was in Wisconsin, on land that had a little creek and I would never have guessed if I hadn't had someone experienced doing the research.

Forum List

Back