Grocery stores..................your jobs are next..........

Chicken-Little syndrome. :dunno:

Btw, Obama's president......is this supposed to be Trump's fault or Obama's fault???

Could it possibly be that grocery stores are being regulated out of business???

Could it be that Democrats pushing a $15 minimum-wage are causing this???

Hmmmmmmmmm???

Unionized checkers have been pulling down $45 an hour for decades.
Maybe in your part of the country, but not mine.

I absolutely refuse to use the self-service checkouts until I have no other option. Damn! I go to the store, look at the produce that's going bad or gone bad, search high and low for something I KNOW was in a certain place in the morning as I did shopping for my person who I'm taking care of and that same night go back to get the same thing for myself ... and it's been moved six or seven aisles over; look at empty or half empty holes on shelves because stock people aren't keeping tabs on what needs to be restocked, pay excessive prices for what I do get ... and then check the shit out myself?? Fruck no! A cashier can check the stuff out for me. Yes, I have to stand in line because only two out of 16 registers are open and a dozen people are standing in those two lines because the front end manager isn't doing their job. Most of the issues are due to poor management.

I leave the grocery store most of the time so damned mad that the steam going off me could cook all the food for me before I even get home.
then you should love this new innovation

So what kind of jobs are we going to get for the workers who are replaced by computers?
What kind of jobs did buggy whip maker get after buggy whips became obsolete?

It's called progress and technology has always created more and better jobs than those it made obsolete

Well, it seems that technology is finally catching up to the place where computers are literally taking American jobs. .
Bummer for you...make sure you keep the meat in a seperate bag...or I wont tip you

Chicken-Little syndrome. :dunno:

Btw, Obama's president......is this supposed to be Trump's fault or Obama's fault???

Could it possibly be that grocery stores are being regulated out of business???

Could it be that Democrats pushing a $15 minimum-wage are causing this???

Hmmmmmmmmm???

Unionized checkers have been pulling down $45 an hour for decades.
Maybe in your part of the country, but not mine.

Only the union checkers, who are fast on their way out. Albertsons, Ralphs, and Vons are quickly going the way of the dinosaur. Walmart. Winco, and Target are taking over.Because these are not union they have MUCH cheaper food.

Well, it seems that technology is finally catching up to the place where computers are literally taking American jobs. Seems that Amazon has come up with a new tech where you scan your phone, walk into the grocery store, take what you want, and the app knows what you've gotten, based on tracking data.

Conceivably, they could have an entire grocery store that only needs 2 or 3 people for the entire place instead of the normal 50 to 100 jobs they would provide normally.

Amazon just opened a grocery store without a checkout line

Now, not only do you need to worry about jobs going overseas, but now you have to worry about service sector jobs being taken over by computers.

In California the Communists outlawed grocery bags. so they no longer bag your groceries. That means the only thing the checker does is scan the items. But I'm not convinced most people want to scan their own items, the self-serve checkouts are not popular here in the Peoples Republic.

See, this Amazon app actually even replaces self checkout. All you do is swipe your phone and it AUTOMATICALLY tracks your progress through the store, knows what you picked out, and you simply walk out. No checkout, no self checkout, the only interaction you have with the store (other than picking out what you want) is swiping your phone upon entry.

That's it.

So what kind of jobs are we going to get for the workers who are replaced by computers?

It's called progress and technology has always created more and better jobs than those it made obsolete

Really? Tell that to ANY factory worker who was replaced by a robot. First one you should talk to is someone who worked in the auto industry.

Well, it seems that technology is finally catching up to the place where computers are literally taking American jobs. Seems that Amazon has come up with a new tech where you scan your phone, walk into the grocery store, take what you want, and the app knows what you've gotten, based on tracking data.

Conceivably, they could have an entire grocery store that only needs 2 or 3 people for the entire place instead of the normal 50 to 100 jobs they would provide normally.

Now, not only do you need to worry about jobs going overseas, but now you have to worry about service sector jobs being taken over by computers.

In California the Communists outlawed grocery bags. so they no longer bag your groceries. That means the only thing the checker does is scan the items. But I'm not convinced most people want to scan their own items, the self-serve checkouts are not popular here in the Peoples Republic.

See, this Amazon app actually even replaces self checkout. All you do is swipe your phone and it AUTOMATICALLY tracks your progress through the store, knows what you picked out, and you simply walk out. No checkout, no self checkout, the only interaction you have with the store (other than picking out what you want) is swiping your phone upon entry.

That's it.

If it works, I'm in.

It will utterly stop shoplifting.

Shit, will BLM claim it's RACIST? :eek:

That's it.

If it works, I'm in.

It will utterly stop shoplifting.

Shit, will BLM claim it's RACIST? :eek:

Really? You think it will totally stop shoplifting? I don't, because criminals are remarkably adaptive. Besides...............I'd be more worried about being overcharged because I picked something up to look at it, decided I didn't want it and put it back.

Really? You think it will totally stop shoplifting?

If every product has RFID and you scan your phone to get in, how would it be possible to shoplift? Pick something up, and you'll be charged for it.

I don't, because criminals are remarkably adaptive. Besides...............I'd be more worried about being overcharged because I picked something up to look at it, decided I didn't want it and put it back.

Agreed, hence my comment of "if it works."

Yes, and obummer spent eight fucking years spinning on the thumb he has up his ass. Good work democrats.

I absolutely refuse to use the self-service checkouts until I have no other option. Damn! I go to the store, look at the produce that's going bad or gone bad, search high and low for something I KNOW was in a certain place in the morning as I did shopping for my person who I'm taking care of and that same night go back to get the same thing for myself ... and it's been moved six or seven aisles over; look at empty or half empty holes on shelves because stock people aren't keeping tabs on what needs to be restocked, pay excessive prices for what I do get ... and then check the shit out myself?? Fruck no! A cashier can check the stuff out for me. Yes, I have to stand in line because only two out of 16 registers are open and a dozen people are standing in those two lines because the front end manager isn't doing their job. Most of the issues are due to poor management.

I leave the grocery store most of the time so damned mad that the steam going off me could cook all the food for me before I even get home.
then you should love this new innovation

No...I don't like all this innovative computerized stuff. I don't have a "mibble phone" ... I have a "mobile phone." I don't "RECord" messages, I "reCORD" messages. I'm not going to pay $2.99 a month to have a computer convert my voice mails into "computer speak" when I can hit *86 and listen to the actual voice (which MAY be a voice I really, really want to hear :)). If the damned thing can't pronounce words correctly how the hell is it going to pick out really good produce for me? And after I have to run my ass ragged looking for stuff ... I should not have to run myself ragged scanning items for myself at checkout. Whatever happened to the concept of "service?"

I like Shipt. I can order my groceries from the local Publix or my liquor from ABC, pay for it, and someone else will do the shopping for me and deliver it to my door.

This Amazon thing doesn't appeal to me as I would still have to physically go to the store. Shipt actually creates jobs.

Liquor....delivered....right to my fucking DOOR!

You sound like you have a lot of liquor delivered right to your fucking door.

I would want machines too. I damn sure wouldn't pay a teenager 15 bucks an hour for ringing up broccoli
but what if she rings up Kale also?

Darlin'...these kids don't know whether they wear underwear or not. I had one ask if I had potatoes or sweet potatoes in my little plastic produce bag. That's not an occasional thing - they're always asking what some kind of produce is...are they apples or bananas? That tells me they've never so much as boiled a pan of water let alone ever cooked a meal. Opening a can of whatever and nuking it in the microwave does not constitute cooking. Hopefully, they have enough sense not to nuke the stuff while it's still in the can.

This actually isn't true. Technology has always been a double edged sword, only these days it's sharper than the shapest Japanese knife and is slicing and dicing entire industries, as well as jobs. The internet in general is proving to be just as destructive as it is constructive, and right now clever entrepreneurs are harnessing its power to damn near decimate long standing competitors who couldn't be toppled until now.

I'm conflicted over news like this. How weird would it be to walk in and walk out of a grocery store with no employees? The future is going to be a very strange looking place. Seeing employees in places we're accustomed to will become as rare as unicorns, as the only jobs will exist behind computer screens -- until even those jobs are replaced by robots, that is.

Not all technological advances are "better," most just make things more convenient for our lazy, spoiled first world asses. And we're all gonna pay for it eventually.

That's it.
And that's fucking awesome
I can't wait until it's rolled out

Really? Tell that to ANY factory worker who was replaced by a robot. First one you should talk to is someone who worked in the auto industry.
And that robot created jobs for engineers, software designers, installation and repair techs

like I said more and better jobs than the one it made obsolete

Forum List

Back