"Gun Appreciation Day" Didn't Work Out So Well,..

Big Reb -

Some 87 Americansl die of gun-related injuries every day. Many of them are innocent of any crime, many are children.

Do they civil rights?

What would you personally suggest is done to ensure those rights are protected in the US, as they are in Canada?

Big Reb -

Some 87 Americansl die of gun-related injuries every day. Many of them are innocent of any crime, many are children.

Do they civil rights?

What would you personally suggest is done to ensure those rights are protected in the US, as they are in Canada?
Maybe if everybody had a right to drive instead of a privilege there would be less deaths on the road.
About 115 people die every day in vehicle crashes in the United States

Maybe if everybody had a right to drive instead of a privilege there would be less deaths on the road.

If Americans were 20 times more likely to die in automobile accidents than citizens of other major developed countries - would you think it sensible to look at automotive laws in other countries?

Also, do you oppose drivers licenses?

Big Reb -

Do they civil rights?

Actually, we have less deaths on the road because it's a privilage to drive.

Big Reb -

Do they civil rights?

oh is this like your suicide bullshit? or a gun in a home bullshit?

If Americans were 20 times more likely to die in automobile accidents than citizens of other major developed countries - would you think it sensible to look at automotive laws in other countries?

Also, do you oppose drivers licenses?

You can't legislate human nature.
We have seat belt laws
Texting law
cell phone usage laws
speed limits
Do they work?

Canada also doesn't have a right to keep and bear arms.

I see no logic in your remarks. What difference does the right to bear arms make? I doubt the founding fathers had visions of urban ghettos, drive by shootings, and men coming home drunk and threatening their families when they framed the second amendment, much less mentally unstable people committing mass shootings of innocents.

The right to bear arms is not keeping you safe, quite the contrary. You are in far more danger of being shot by a family member or a friend/neighbour over some petty dispute, than you are of being shot by a criminal.

As a Canadian woman, I have the right to go topless on the streets of my city and sometimes a few women exercise that right. But the vast majority of Canadian women, ignore that one completely and keep their tops on. Just because you have a right doesn't necessarily mean it's wise or sensible to exercise it.

But keep blathering on about Obama coming to take your guns. Nothing makes people look dumber than falling for some NRA scare propaganda to boost donations and justify its existence.

Or that we have the good sense to take away people's driving privilages when they get caught with a DUI, or don't insure their vehicle, or don't get properly licensed...

"Waaaaahhhhh, I don't want Kellerman to be true!"

Or that we have the good sense to take away people's driving privilages when they get caught with a DUI, or don't insure their vehicle, or don't get properly licensed...

"Waaaaahhhhh, I don't want Kellerman to be true!"

Again is this like all the other bogus stats you posted in the past?

Canada also doesn't have a right to keep and bear arms.

I see no logic in your remarks. What difference does the right to bear arms make? I doubt the founding fathers had visions of urban ghettos, drive by shootings, and men coming home drunk and threatening their families when they framed the second amendment, much less mentally unstable people committing mass shootings of innocents.

The right to bear arms is not keeping you safe, quite the contrary. You are in far more danger of being shot by a family member or a friend/neighbour over some petty dispute, than you are of being shot by a criminal.

As a Canadian woman, I have the right to go topless on the streets of my city and sometimes a few women exercise that right. But the vast majority of Canadian women, ignore that one completely and keep their tops on. Just because you have a right doesn't necessarily mean it's wise or sensible to exercise it.

But keep blathering on about Obama coming to take your guns. Nothing makes people look dumber than falling for some NRA scare propaganda to boost donations and justify its existence.

The right too keep and bear arms can't be taken away
Canadians don't have that right

Bayoubill -

Let me start by saying that I have no problem at all with people owning guns. I don't own a gun myself, but I have a few friends who hunt or live on farms (with livestock) and I don't see any reason why they should not keep guns at home.

What I'd like to see both in Finland and in the US is a ban on military-style semi-automatic weapons, and I'd like to see much tighter controls over who can get a gun. In Finland we are implementing a system whereby all new gun owners will be required to complete a gun-safety course and undergo a brief psychological evaluation - that sounds good to me.

Finland has very high levels of gun ownership - and a very high gun-related homicide rate. We also have a real problem with school shootings.

Why the ban on military-style semi-automatic weapons? ANY weapon that fires every time the trigger is pulled is a semi-automatic weapon. That includes all pistols and most revolvers.

I would like to see how many people are killed by the military-style weapons versus non military style weapons before considering a ban on them.

Bayoubill -

Let me start by saying that I have no problem at all with people owning guns. I don't own a gun myself, but I have a few friends who hunt or live on farms (with livestock) and I don't see any reason why they should not keep guns at home.

What I'd like to see both in Finland and in the US is a ban on military-style semi-automatic weapons, and I'd like to see much tighter controls over who can get a gun. In Finland we are implementing a system whereby all new gun owners will be required to complete a gun-safety course and undergo a brief psychological evaluation - that sounds good to me.

Finland has very high levels of gun ownership - and a very high gun-related homicide rate. We also have a real problem with school shootings.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/6725398-post1.html

I did say both of these things in my post.

But just because you have the right to own a gun doesn't make it a good idea to own a gun. In fact, statistically speaking, gun ownership increases your chances of getting shot. Incidents of people shooting criminals are relatively rare. People shoot other accidentally far more often than people shoot real criminals.

These NRA gun nuts are a laughing stock. They claim they are going to take on the government and can't even make it through a gun show.

I did say both of these things in my post.

But just because you have the right to own a gun doesn't make it a good idea to own a gun. In fact, statistically speaking, gun ownership increases your chances of getting shot. Incidents of people shooting criminals are relatively rare. People shoot other accidentally far more often than people shoot real criminals.

But just because you have the right to own a gun doesn't make it a good idea to own a gun.
Who the fuck are you to dictate one way or thew god damn fucking other?
In fact, statistically speaking, gun ownership increases your chances of getting shot. Incidents of people shooting criminals are relatively rare.
That is a GOD DAMN LIE.

What I always look for on these threads is the simple admission from people like BigReb that guns cost lives.

Everyone on this forum knows full well that if all guns were to disappear from the US overnight, the homicide rate would drop by 80% or 90%.

We know this, because countries which have 90% less guns than the US also have 90% less homicides.

I don't understand at all why people keep up this laughable pretence of guns keeping America safe when anyone who can read can see that the truth is almost the opposite.

Forum List

Back