"Gun Appreciation Day" Didn't Work Out So Well,..

Yes I didnt want a gun to protect myself.

The propaganda of the financial interest in promoting guns pushed me to break out my debit card.

You should see what the financial interest in promoting high quality optics pushed me to buy.
This^^^^^^^^^:clap2:
No I don't want a gun to defend myself I want to be a victim like the liberals want to be.:cuckoo:

A gun in the home is 43 times more likely to kill a member of the household than a bad guy.

400,000,000 guns in homes versus the numbers killed do not reconcile.

Once again, you've proven you will believe any piece of propaganda published with those with a financial interest in promoting guns.

Yes I didnt want a gun to protect myself.

The propaganda of the financial interest in promoting guns pushed me to break out my debit card.

You should see what the financial interest in promoting high quality optics pushed me to buy.

So you admit to being easily manipulated by consumerism?

Yes especially shiny objects and things that go boom.

So where did these blogsites get the story from?

The Associate Press.

Has to be true because the AP would never make anything up.

One source said the Indy guy shot himself while loading his gun, another said while unloading.

Maybe he was walking with a loaded gun and unloading it at the same time.

Makes sense. Walking through a parking lot unloading his .45.

It could happen.

Last edited:
No I don't want a gun to defend myself I want to be a victim like the liberals want to be.:cuckoo:

A gun in the home is 43 times more likely to kill a member of the household than a bad guy.

I think your understanding of maths might be the problem here.

The 43:1 figure is a ratio. Hence the total number of guns is irrelevent.

The point is - and I believe we can consider this a proven fact based on the research I have read - keeping a gun in the home increases the risk of a family member being hurt much more than it increases the chance of you killing a bad guy.

(I wouldn't swear the 43:1 figure is correct - the figures I have read were significantly lower, but do show the same trend)

Isn't that kind of like saying, "Well, of the 28,000 flights in the air on 9-11-2001, 27996 of them DID NOT crash into buildings, so I'm not sure why you want to take all these precautions now!"

Just calling something a lie doesn't prove anything, particularly when it's the word of a gun nut.

Source: FIREARMS TUTORIAL

Can you even make it through a gun show without shooting yourselves?

MYTH 3:"Since a gun in a home is many times more likely to kill a family member than to stop a criminal, armed citizens are not a deterrent to crime."

This myth, stemming from a superficial "study" of firearm accidents in the Cleveland, Ohio, area, represents a comparison of 148 accidental deaths (including suicides) to the deaths of 23 intruders killed by home owners over a 16-year period. 2

Gross errors in this and similar "studies"--with even greater claimed ratios of harm to good--include: the assumption that a gun hasn't been used for protection unless an assailant dies; no distinction is made between handgun and long gun deaths; all accidental firearm fatalities were counted whether the deceased was part of the "family" or not; all accidents were counted whether they occurred in the home or not, while self-defense outside the home was excluded; almost half the self-defense uses of guns in the home were excluded on the grounds that the criminal intruder killed may not have been a total stranger to the home defender; suicides were sometimes counted and some self-defense shootings misclassified. Cleveland's experience with crime and accidents during the study period was atypical of the nation as a whole and of Cleveland since the mid-1970s. Moreover, in a later study, the same researchers noted that roughly 10% of killings by civilians are justifiable homicides. 3

The "guns in the home" myth has been repeated time and again by the media, and anti-gun academics continue to build on it. In 1993, Dr. Arthur Kellermann of Emory University and a number of colleagues presented a study that claimed to show that a home with a gun was much more likely to experience a homicide.4 However, Dr. Kellermann selected for his study only homes where homicides had taken place--ignoring the millions of homes with firearms where no harm is done--and a control group that was not representative of American households. By only looking at homes where homicides had occurred and failing to control for more pertinent variables, such as prior criminal record or histories of violence, Kellermann et al. skewed the results of this study. Prof. Kleck wrote that with the methodology used by Kellermann, one could prove that since diabetics are much more likely to possess insulin than non-diabetics, possession of insulin is a risk factor for diabetes. Even Dr. Kellermann admitted this in his study: "It is possible that reverse causation accounted for some of the association we observed between gun ownership and homicide." Law Professor Daniel D. Polsby went further, "Indeed the point is stronger than that: 'reverse causation' may account for most of the association between gun ownership and homicide. Kellermann's data simply do not allow one to draw any conclusion."5

Research conducted by Professors James Wright and Peter Rossi,6 for a landmark study funded by the U.S. Department of Justice, points to the armed citizen as possibly the most effective deterrent to crime in the nation. Wright and Rossi questioned over 1,800 felons serving time in prisons across the nation and found:

81% agreed the "smart criminal" will try to find out if a potential victim is armed.
74% felt that burglars avoided occupied dwellings for fear of being shot.
80% of "handgun predators" had encountered armed citizens.
40% did not commit a specific crime for fear that the victim was armed.
34% of "handgun predators" were scared off or shot at by armed victims.
57% felt that the typical criminal feared being shot by citizens more than he feared being shot by police.
Professor Kleck estimates that annually 1,500-2,800 felons are legally killed in "excusable self-defense" or "justifiable" shootings by civilians, and 8,000-16,000 criminals are wounded. This compares to 300-600 justifiable homicides by police. Yet, in most instances, civilians used a firearm to threaten, apprehend, shoot at a criminal, or to fire a warning shot without injuring anyone.

Based on his extensive independent survey research, Kleck estimates that each year Americans use guns for protection from criminals more than 2.5 million times annually. 7 U.S. Department of Justice victimization surveys show that protective use of a gun lessens the chance that robberies, rapes, and assaults will be successfully completed while also reducing the likelihood of victim injury. Clearly, criminals fear armed citizens.

2 Rushforth, et al., "Accidental Firearm Fatalities in a Metropolitan County, " 100 American Journal of Epidemiology 499 (1975).
3 Rushforth, et al., "Violent Death in a Metropolitan County," 297 New England Journal of Medicine 531, 533 (1977).
4 Kellermann, et al., "Gun Ownership as a Risk Factor for Homicide in the Home," New England Journal of Medicine 467 (1993).
5 Polsby, "The False Promise of Gun Control," The Atlantic Monthly, March 1994.
6 Wright and Rossi, Armed and Considered Dangerous: A Survey of Felons and Their Firearms (N.Y.: Aldine de Gruyter, 1986).
7 Kleck, interview, Orange County Register,Sept. 19, 1993.

TEN MYTHS ABOUT GUN CONTROL

That's a nice unbiased study "he estimates." I don't know of one incident in my whole life of someone protecting themselves or other by having a gun. I'm not talking about anecdotal cases that make it into the nation's news, I'm talking about an actual case in the areas I've lived in.

What burglar in his right mind is going to try to go through a door with a growling English Masiff and Lab/Boxer mix on the other side? Why wouldn't he just go somewhere without dogs?

Without having a gun in the house, I have zero chance of a child or adult ever finding it and hurting themselves or others. I still have my Ka-Bar.

OH sure there is 0 chance of a child or adult ever finding a gun if's it's not there, but what do you do if someone introduces a gun into the house that may have entered uninvited?
Jacksonville man killed in targeted home invasion; children were in the apartment | jacksonville.com

Oh.... yeah..... those "statistics"..... Have you taken the time to actually study how their compilations were done? How they "assessed" their data, lumping entire categories together that provide a very skewed view? The devil is in the details which is why I rely on the FBI stats. At least half of all firearm related deaths are due to gang related violence and the vast majority of gang owned firearms were not legally purchased.

Yes, I have taken the time to read this research. At the moment, that makes one of us.

Read the research with an open mind, and get back to me when you're done. Not before.

Why anyone would attack research he hadn't even looked at it beyond me.

Yeah, nice assumption. Ya wanna try again? Again, I trust the FBI's statistical data over anyone else's, why, I've worked in the law enforcement field for quite a few years and the FBI's statistical team are the real experts. I think they've had a couple of years to refine their data collection and collation techniques...........

keeping a gun in the home increases the risk of a family member being hurt much more than it increases the chance of you killing a bad guy.

I can mitigate the risk to my family with training as evidenced by the hundreds of MILLIONS of guns in homes with no incident.

The only thing I can mitigate a bad guy with is two 5.56 to COM.

Last edited:
What's with the right-wing idiots screwing up all these threads by editing the /quote? Can't you idiots fix what you post? I've been on forums where you can tell it's deliberately done.

aBripat -

True or false...

In the US, a mass shooting occurs every 5.9 days.

In the US, 87 people die every day of gun shot wounds.

Americans are twenty times more likely to be killed with a gun than a citizen of any other major developed nation.

I've read that we have the equivalent of a 9/11 every single month. Then, add in the mass shootings on top of that.

Americans are stupid to just sit back and allow it.

Indofred
I suppose we should look at the 'accidents'.
The last one was a stupid dealer who was messing with a loaded gun. He didn't check it or anything sane, just shot himself.
Police found a second loaded gun on his table. What an idiot.

This one has some irony.
Raleigh, North Carolina after a gun accidentally discharged and shot three people at the show’s safety check-in booth

Truth Seeker
Two similar incidents occurred at entirely separate gun shows in the Midwest, one in the Cleveland suburb of Medina, Ohio and the other at the state fairgrounds in Indianapolis, Indiana. In Ohio, the local ABC affiliate reports that one individual was brought to a hospital by EMS, and in Indiana Channel 8 WISH says that an individual shot himself in the hand while trying to reload his gun in the show parking lot.

That isn't to say all right wing, bloody idiot gun owners with tiny penises are too stupid to handle a gun but it seems many are.
The thought of opposing a law that restricts criminals and the mentally ill getting hold of guns suggests the opposing group are insane.

Not just criminals and mentally ill. As our "laws" stand now, anyone on our terrorist list can easily and legally buy any gun and clip he wants. Same with illegal aliens.

Why do the gun nuts want to arm those people?

As to the question of all these fools who accidentally shoot themselves, obviously the safety training requirements aren't doing the job.

These are the same idiots who think teachers, janitors, child molesters are fit to guard our children in their schools.

MYTH 3:"Since a gun in a home is many times more likely to kill a family member than to stop a criminal, armed citizens are not a deterrent to crime."

This myth, stemming from a superficial "study" of firearm accidents in the Cleveland, Ohio, area, represents a comparison of 148 accidental deaths (including suicides) to the deaths of 23 intruders killed by home owners over a 16-year period. 2

Gross errors in this and similar "studies"--with even greater claimed ratios of harm to good--include: the assumption that a gun hasn't been used for protection unless an assailant dies; no distinction is made between handgun and long gun deaths; all accidental firearm fatalities were counted whether the deceased was part of the "family" or not; all accidents were counted whether they occurred in the home or not, while self-defense outside the home was excluded; almost half the self-defense uses of guns in the home were excluded on the grounds that the criminal intruder killed may not have been a total stranger to the home defender; suicides were sometimes counted and some self-defense shootings misclassified. Cleveland's experience with crime and accidents during the study period was atypical of the nation as a whole and of Cleveland since the mid-1970s. Moreover, in a later study, the same researchers noted that roughly 10% of killings by civilians are justifiable homicides. 3

The "guns in the home" myth has been repeated time and again by the media, and anti-gun academics continue to build on it. In 1993, Dr. Arthur Kellermann of Emory University and a number of colleagues presented a study that claimed to show that a home with a gun was much more likely to experience a homicide.4 However, Dr. Kellermann selected for his study only homes where homicides had taken place--ignoring the millions of homes with firearms where no harm is done--and a control group that was not representative of American households. By only looking at homes where homicides had occurred and failing to control for more pertinent variables, such as prior criminal record or histories of violence, Kellermann et al. skewed the results of this study. Prof. Kleck wrote that with the methodology used by Kellermann, one could prove that since diabetics are much more likely to possess insulin than non-diabetics, possession of insulin is a risk factor for diabetes. Even Dr. Kellermann admitted this in his study: "It is possible that reverse causation accounted for some of the association we observed between gun ownership and homicide." Law Professor Daniel D. Polsby went further, "Indeed the point is stronger than that: 'reverse causation' may account for most of the association between gun ownership and homicide. Kellermann's data simply do not allow one to draw any conclusion."5

Research conducted by Professors James Wright and Peter Rossi,6 for a landmark study funded by the U.S. Department of Justice, points to the armed citizen as possibly the most effective deterrent to crime in the nation. Wright and Rossi questioned over 1,800 felons serving time in prisons across the nation and found:

81% agreed the "smart criminal" will try to find out if a potential victim is armed.
74% felt that burglars avoided occupied dwellings for fear of being shot.
80% of "handgun predators" had encountered armed citizens.
40% did not commit a specific crime for fear that the victim was armed.
34% of "handgun predators" were scared off or shot at by armed victims.
57% felt that the typical criminal feared being shot by citizens more than he feared being shot by police.
Professor Kleck estimates that annually 1,500-2,800 felons are legally killed in "excusable self-defense" or "justifiable" shootings by civilians, and 8,000-16,000 criminals are wounded. This compares to 300-600 justifiable homicides by police. Yet, in most instances, civilians used a firearm to threaten, apprehend, shoot at a criminal, or to fire a warning shot without injuring anyone.

Based on his extensive independent survey research, Kleck estimates that each year Americans use guns for protection from criminals more than 2.5 million times annually. 7 U.S. Department of Justice victimization surveys show that protective use of a gun lessens the chance that robberies, rapes, and assaults will be successfully completed while also reducing the likelihood of victim injury. Clearly, criminals fear armed citizens.

2 Rushforth, et al., "Accidental Firearm Fatalities in a Metropolitan County, " 100 American Journal of Epidemiology 499 (1975).
3 Rushforth, et al., "Violent Death in a Metropolitan County," 297 New England Journal of Medicine 531, 533 (1977).
4 Kellermann, et al., "Gun Ownership as a Risk Factor for Homicide in the Home," New England Journal of Medicine 467 (1993).
5 Polsby, "The False Promise of Gun Control," The Atlantic Monthly, March 1994.
6 Wright and Rossi, Armed and Considered Dangerous: A Survey of Felons and Their Firearms (N.Y.: Aldine de Gruyter, 1986).
7 Kleck, interview, Orange County Register,Sept. 19, 1993.

TEN MYTHS ABOUT GUN CONTROL

That's a nice unbiased study "he estimates." I don't know of one incident in my whole life of someone protecting themselves or other by having a gun. I'm not talking about anecdotal cases that make it into the nation's news, I'm talking about an actual case in the areas I've lived in.

What burglar in his right mind is going to try to go through a door with a growling English Masiff and Lab/Boxer mix on the other side? Why wouldn't he just go somewhere without dogs?

Without having a gun in the house, I have zero chance of a child or adult ever finding it and hurting themselves or others. I still have my Ka-Bar.

OH sure there is 0 chance of a child or adult ever finding a gun if's it's not there, but what do you do if someone introduces a gun into the house that may have entered uninvited?
Jacksonville man killed in targeted home invasion; children were in the apartment | jacksonville.com

They can't get in my yard without my dogs growling.

Isn't that kind of like saying, "Well, of the 28,000 flights in the air on 9-11-2001, 27996 of them DID NOT crash into buildings, so I'm not sure why you want to take all these precautions now!"

We took actions to keep criminals from having access to highjack planes.

Not banning lawful passengers ability to travel.

Most of the gun violence in Canada is gang related too. Motorcycle gangs control a lot of illegal drug trade and they have extremely violent histories. And American street gangs are actively recruiting members in Canada, providing arms. We also have offshoots of various Asian gangs, Jamaican gangs, Russian mobs, and immigrants bringing foreign tribal disbutes to the country they came to in order to escape the violence in their home countries. Last but certainly not least in this wonderful ethnic soup, we do have Mafia in Canada.

And yet, with the possible exception of the motorcycle gangs, (the Hell's Angels are responsible for 165 murders in the Province of Quebec alone, between 1994 and 2001, and they aren't the only motorcycle gang in the murder business), there are suprising few murders. Whenever things get out of hand with the gangs in Toronto, the police in all Greater Toronto area jurisdictions run wire taps on known gang members and their affiliates and then stage pre-dawn raids with search warrants.

Since even being in possession of a handgun is illegal, punishable by 2 years in jail, it's easy to put these guys behind bars. The police get 100 or so gang bangers off the streetes, not to mention guns seized, drugs seized, etc.

Hunting rifles and shotguns are legal. Automatic weapons and sawed off shotguns are not. Canadians are hearty outdoors people. My brothers went deer hunting every fall. Since they never once shot a deer, we suspect they hung out in the cabin smoking and drinking most of the week. Every farmer I know has a gun, in case they have to shoot an animal, so Canadians are not barred from using rifles or going hunting.

By they are barred from standing their ground. A store owner in Toronto shot a guy armed with a pocket knife who tried to rob his store. The store owner was charged with shooting the robber, because his response to the threat was way out of proportion to the actual threat posed by the pocket knife. The store owner actually owned the handgun legally. He had friends on the police force who got him a permit, but he was NOT allowed to have a loaded gun in his store.

Forum List

Back