"Gun Appreciation Day" Didn't Work Out So Well,..

By they are barred from standing their ground. A store owner in Toronto shot a guy armed with a pocket knife who tried to rob his store. The store owner was charged with shooting the robber, because his response to the threat was way out of proportion to the actual threat posed by the pocket knife.

Canadian idiocy explained in 3 sentences.

By they are barred from standing their ground. A store owner in Toronto shot a guy armed with a pocket knife who tried to rob his store. The store owner was charged with shooting the robber, because his response to the threat was way out of proportion to the actual threat posed by the pocket knife.

Canadian idiocy explained in 3 sentences.

Nothing like placing the burden on the victim to make a split second decsion, and punish them if they make the "wrong" one.

That's a nice unbiased study "he estimates." I don't know of one incident in my whole life of someone protecting themselves or other by having a gun. I'm not talking about anecdotal cases that make it into the nation's news, I'm talking about an actual case in the areas I've lived in.

What burglar in his right mind is going to try to go through a door with a growling English Masiff and Lab/Boxer mix on the other side? Why wouldn't he just go somewhere without dogs?

Without having a gun in the house, I have zero chance of a child or adult ever finding it and hurting themselves or others. I still have my Ka-Bar.

We lived on a street where over the course of one summer nearly a dozen homes were broken into. The houses that weren't broken into were the ones with dogs or alarm systems.

Most of the gun violence in Canada is gang related too. Motorcycle gangs control a lot of illegal drug trade and they have extremely violent histories. And American street gangs are actively recruiting members in Canada, providing arms. We also have offshoots of various Asian gangs, Jamaican gangs, Russian mobs, and immigrants bringing foreign tribal disbutes to the country they came to in order to escape the violence in their home countries. Last but certainly not least in this wonderful ethnic soup, we do have Mafia in Canada.

And yet, with the possible exception of the motorcycle gangs, (the Hell's Angels are responsible for 165 murders in the Province of Quebec alone, between 1994 and 2001, and they aren't the only motorcycle gang in the murder business), there are suprising few murders. Whenever things get out of hand with the gangs in Toronto, the police in all Greater Toronto area jurisdictions run wire taps on known gang members and their affiliates and then stage pre-dawn raids with search warrants.

Since even being in possession of a handgun is illegal, punishable by 2 years in jail, it's easy to put these guys behind bars. The police get 100 or so gang bangers off the streetes, not to mention guns seized, drugs seized, etc.

Hunting rifles and shotguns are legal. Automatic weapons and sawed off shotguns are not. Canadians are hearty outdoors people. My brothers went deer hunting every fall. Since they never once shot a deer, we suspect they hung out in the cabin smoking and drinking most of the week. Every farmer I know has a gun, in case they have to shoot an animal, so Canadians are not barred from using rifles or going hunting.

By they are barred from standing their ground. A store owner in Toronto shot a guy armed with a pocket knife who tried to rob his store. The store owner was charged with shooting the robber, because his response to the threat was way out of proportion to the actual threat posed by the pocket knife. The store owner actually owned the handgun legally. He had friends on the police force who got him a permit, but he was NOT allowed to have a loaded gun in his store.

Pocket knives can kill and injure. If you allow a person armed with a knife to approach withing 14 feet of you and you do not have your sidearm/rifle at the ready position, they can reach you and stab multiple times before you even have a chance to bring your firearm to bear.
So was it an out of proportion response? Depends on the circumstances, circumstances you omitted from your post.

400,000,000 guns in homes versus the numbers killed do not reconcile.

Isn't that kind of like saying, "Well, of the 28,000 flights in the air on 9-11-2001, 27996 of them DID NOT crash into buildings, so I'm not sure why you want to take all these precautions now!"

We took actions to keep criminals from having access to highjack planes.

Not banning lawful passengers ability to travel.

Last time I flew, from Chicago to Calgary and back again, I had my identity checked, my shoes and personal belonings X-rayed, had to stay in restricted areas while waiting for my flight to leave, had to stand in a line again at my destintion to affirm my identity.

On the return trip, weather diverted the plane to Green Bay,and they had us gathered in a small section of terminal with a bunch of TSA guys watching us because we weren't expected there.

This was in 2008, I understnd they make the searches worse now...

How many times will a wingnut mention Chicago as if the rest of us give a fuck?

jesus some of you are so lame it gives gimps a thrill

We'll mention it as long as it pisses off you and your puppies. It's really cute how they follow you around like that.

Really guy! Chicago, the Grabber in Chief's home town with the toughest gun laws in the country gets 14 people shot on purpose over a week-end, gets an average of 10 people per week murdered, and you are stuck on accidental shootings at gun shows?

Why no outrage about Chicago? Could it be that it doesn't support your agenda? Or could it be that you just can't face the fact that gun control doesn't work?

That is a GOD DAMN LIE.

No, Dragonlady is entirely correct, and this has been proven in extensive studies.

Wrong, she's full of shit. The study her theory is based on has been debunked 100 times in this forum.

Squealing "I don't want it be true" isn't debunking, guy.

Bebunking would be proving that Kellerman got his numbers wrong. He didn't.

For every bad guy shot, there were 39 suicides, and 4 domestic homicides.

Isn't that kind of like saying, "Well, of the 28,000 flights in the air on 9-11-2001, 27996 of them DID NOT crash into buildings, so I'm not sure why you want to take all these precautions now!"

We took actions to keep criminals from having access to highjack planes.

Not banning lawful passengers ability to travel.

Last time I flew, from Chicago to Calgary and back again, I had my identity checked, my shoes and personal belonings X-rayed, had to stay in restricted areas while waiting for my flight to leave, had to stand in a line again at my destintion to affirm my identity.

On the return trip, weather diverted the plane to Green Bay,and they had us gathered in a small section of terminal with a bunch of TSA guys watching us because we weren't expected there.

This was in 2008, I understnd they make the searches worse now...

No planes highjacked since.

It works.

The right too keep and bear arms can't be taken away
Canadians don't have that right

Actually, it can be taken away any time the majority thinks it's a good idea.

There are no rights, only privilages, and you guys abused the privilage for the last time.

You just succinctly enunciated the moral code of a thug.

Not at all...

I'm just tired of watching kids die because you have a fetish...

The right too keep and bear arms can't be taken away
Canadians don't have that right

Actually, it can be taken away any time the majority thinks it's a good idea.

There are no rights, only privilages, and you guys abused the privilage for the last time.

You just succinctly enunciated the moral code of a thug.

I hope he's referring to Canada and doesn't believe the US Bill of Rights are privileges the government allows the people to have.

:wtf:

Nothing like placing the burden on the victim to make a split second decsion, and punish them if they make the "wrong" one.

The victim, in this case, illegally had a loaded weapon in his store. There was no split second decision to be made because the gun SHOULD have been in a locked box in his home. He was charged with attempted murder because the robber did not attack him at all, rather brandished the pocket knife in an effort to obtain cash.

In Canada, we value life over things. You cannot shoot someone to prevent him from stealing your stuff. Stuff is insured and can easily be replaced. Life cannot.

Last edited:
That's a nice unbiased study "he estimates." I don't know of one incident in my whole life of someone protecting themselves or other by having a gun. I'm not talking about anecdotal cases that make it into the nation's news, I'm talking about an actual case in the areas I've lived in.

What burglar in his right mind is going to try to go through a door with a growling English Masiff and Lab/Boxer mix on the other side? Why wouldn't he just go somewhere without dogs?

Without having a gun in the house, I have zero chance of a child or adult ever finding it and hurting themselves or others. I still have my Ka-Bar.

OH sure there is 0 chance of a child or adult ever finding a gun if's it's not there, but what do you do if someone introduces a gun into the house that may have entered uninvited?
Jacksonville man killed in targeted home invasion; children were in the apartment | jacksonville.com

They can't get in my yard without my dogs growling.

I've been around guns all of my life. Never been shot.

I have been bitten by a vicious dog.

It is estimated that over 4.7 million dog bites occur in the U.S. each year. There is an average of 20 mass shootings per year. Roughly 80 total deaths to mass shootings in 2012.

Links

Deadly count: US averages 20 mass shootings every year ? RT

Dog Bites

No, Dragonlady is entirely correct, and this has been proven in extensive studies.

Wrong, she's full of shit. The study her theory is based on has been debunked 100 times in this forum.

Squealing "I don't want it be true" isn't debunking, guy.

Bebunking would be proving that Kellerman got his numbers wrong. He didn't.

For every bad guy shot, there were 39 suicides, and 4 domestic homicides.

Squealing "I want it to be true" doesn't prove it's true, asshole.

The study was debunked numerous times in responses to your posts. You know it's a bogus study.

Here's a link to an article that debunks it:

Now you are just outright lying.

For example, the number of bad guys shot isn't the appropriate metric. It's the number of times people have used guns to defend themselves. In most cases a gun in is never fired. Simply brandishing the weapon scares the bad guy away.

http://home.comcast.net/~dsmjd/tux/dsmjd/rkba/kellerman.htm

Of course, you know all this already, but like all gun control fanatics you're a lying asshole

Last edited:
The far right gun nuts thought a "gun appreciation day" would be a good idea to "stick it to Obama and da libs" though it backfired on them big time, literally.

Six different people were shot during the right winger's gun spank fest.

Keep it going GOP! 2014 keeps looking better and better! :clap2:

"Gun activists designated last Saturday “Gun Appreciation Day” in an attempt to highlight their opposition to gun safety laws. The PR stunt proved to be more of an embarrassment, however, when 5 people were shot at 3 different gun shows on Gun Appreciation Day.
On Friday afternoon, an Iowa gun dealer closed out the week by becoming the sixth person shot at a gun show. The man claims he was “showing off a .25 caliber pistol he thought was unloaded when he slid the action of the gun.” The gun was not unloaded, and a bullet went through his left palm."

For The Sixth Time In One Week, Man Shot At Gun Show | ThinkProgress

Only an idiot would 'assume' a gun is unloaded.

No one is arguing that these 4 instances were caused by carelessness and stupidity. Fact is, put 50,000 people in close proximity to a quarter million weapons, and something is bound to go wrong.
BUT, take those weapons and put them on the street in the windy city and a lot more than 6 people will have bullets in them.

Yes I didnt want a gun to protect myself.

The propaganda of the financial interest in promoting guns pushed me to break out my debit card.

You should see what the financial interest in promoting high quality optics pushed me to buy.
This^^^^^^^^^:clap2:
No I don't want a gun to defend myself I want to be a victim like the liberals want to be.:cuckoo:

A gun in the home is 43 times more likely to kill a member of the household than a bad guy.

Prove it.

Squeeling "I want it to be true" doesn't prove it's true, asshole.

The study was debunked numerous times in responses to your posts. You know it's a bogus study.

Now you are just outright lying.

For example, the number of bad guys shot isn't the appropriate metric. It's the number of times people have used guns to defend themselves. In most cases a gun in is never fired. Simply brandishing the weapon scares the bad guy away.

Of course, you know this already, but like all gun control fanatics you're a lying asshole

Actually, it is EXACTLY the appropriate metric.

How many times to guys in wifebeater teashirts threaten their families with guns. Both are "non-events"....

Facts - for every gun hat klls a bad guy 43 of them kill family members.

Forum List

Back