"Gun Appreciation Day" Didn't Work Out So Well,..

Wrong, she's full of shit. The study her theory is based on has been debunked 100 times in this forum.

Squealing "I don't want it be true" isn't debunking, guy.

Bebunking would be proving that Kellerman got his numbers wrong. He didn't.

For every bad guy shot, there were 39 suicides, and 4 domestic homicides.

Why ignore bad guys driven away without being shot?
Why include suicides?
Oh, right, because you're being a dishonest liberal.
But then I repeat myself.

its the same tired crap from Joe, over and over and over.

Ringel -

You are addressing a point no one made.

I agree that the homicide rate in the US has fallen considerably - but you are still in a position where Americans are 20 times more likely to be killed by a gun than citizens in 20 other major democracies.

THAT is the issue.

How many more times are US criminals likely to have a gun = the problem.

Infringing on the law abidings' ability to protect themselves = not the answer.

How many more times are US criminals likely to have a gun = the problem.

Infringing on the law abidings' ability to protect themselves = not the answer.

I agree, by and large.

I have no problem with people owning a gun if they choose to, and know how to use it safely.

Ringel -

Um...yeah. At the moment I don't get the impression you've read much of the research that we're talking about.

Some of the material from Harvard is excellent - and you don't have to agree with their conclusions to at least respect their work and take it into consideration.

FBI ? Table 4

The real experts......

The FBI does not conduct international comparison studies - they only present data.

I suggest reading some of the Harvard material - there are about 6 entirely different studies there - to get up to speed.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
One of the most stupidest post supporting gun control.

And exactly how many times have you needed to use that gun to defend yourself? I'm guessing zero, which means you've been carrying this gun around all of this time, just to ease your own paranoia.

Never used my fire exinguisher. Still makes sense to keep it in my kitchen.

But then there is no danger that the fire can grab the extinguisher out of your hand and use it to harm you, or that it could go off accidentally and kill somebody, or that children could get hold of it and harm somebody. There is no risk in keeping the extinguisher in the kitchen unless it falls off the wall and hits somebody.

Here is a link to a piece in Forbes magazine, with links to a number of studies on the risks and benefits of gun ownership:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewherper/2012/12/16/searching-for-hard-data-on-guns-and-violence/

I haven't checked out all of the links yet, but there is a lot of material to be covered and reviewed.

Last edited:
Ringel -

Um...yeah. At the moment I don't get the impression you've read much of the research that we're talking about.

Some of the material from Harvard is excellent - and you don't have to agree with their conclusions to at least respect their work and take it into consideration.

Well you can have whatever "impression" you so choose, it doesn't make you conclusion correct. Yes, some is excellent, key word being some.........

Todd -

I didn't make the claim about the ration being 43:1 and don't know if it is correct.

I think most people understand that keeping a gun in the home increases the likelihood of a person in that home dying of gun-related injuries, and I believe that ratio is 3:1, but that is not quite what the ther poster was claiming.

Ringel -

The only way to judge the Harvard research is to read it. I did, and was impressed by it. Hell, I even paid €10 for a book from them!!

Todd -

I didn't make the claim about the ration being 43:1 and don't know if it is correct.

I think most people understand that keeping a gun in the home increases the likelihood of a person in that home dying of gun-related injuries, and I believe that ratio is 3:1, but that is not quite what the ther poster was claiming.

It increases your chances of protecting yourself from a home invader.
I guess you could throw a Harvard study at the guy who breaks into your home........

Ringel -

The only way to judge the Harvard research is to read it. I did, and was impressed by it. Hell, I even paid €10 for a book from them!!

You keep assuming I haven't read it. Might that be because I disagree with some of it's (and your) conclusions based on other data I have studied?

Ringel -

No, if you've read it I take my hat off to you.

I wouldn't suggest anyone read that and that alone, I just think it's a good part of understanding some of the issues. I'm fine with people disagreeing with their conclusions, but a few posters on their site just aren't interested in reading.

Made up lies:

gun shows don't allow loaded guns. Personal firearms may be brought into the show for sell or trade. Each firearm must be unloaded prior to entering the building and checked by security at the admission desk.

Made up lies:

gun shows don't allow loaded guns. Personal firearms may be brought into the show for sell or trade. Each firearm must be unloaded prior to entering the building and checked by security at the admission desk.

Denial is not just a river in Egypt. That what you do when faced with overwhelming evidence, deny, deny, deny.

Keep on living in that bubble.

Forum List

Back