Habits of the "rich", habits of the "poor"

You want to know how I got mine?

I didn't inherit anything, my wife didn't inherit anything.

Yet we have a successful business.

Gee I wonder how that happened.

If I listened to you I guess I would have settled for a low paying 9-5 and just should have accepted my lot in life because the numbers show that's what most people do.

Like I said it's learned helplessness and you certainly learned it well

So because you run a business, it's okay to screw over the 9-5 guys.

What? the 9-5 guys are voting for higher taxes on you? and more regulatiosn to keep you from pulling shit?

Oh, Damn. Democracy!!!!

I don't screw any of my employees. The lowest paid person I have makes over $16 an hour. My highest paid employees get paid over 75K a year. My part time people get sick and vacation time and can participate in the company 401K with a 5% match.

My business is 100% OSHA compliant

So who am I screwing?

And you have a 12 inch penis and a Lexus. thanks. We got it.

Then don't shop at Target.

I don't and you don't have to either.

Oh right. And I guess I won't shop anywhere then if I'm going to avoid every company with execs taking all the money. I already don't shop at walmart because they are increasing the size of government by paying so little employees collect welfare. Meanwhile the Waltons make billions.

Why don't you go on about how this failed Target ceo is so great he has to make millions? Or how nobody could possibly do such a bad job for less pay.

Feel free to shop at Mom and Pop stores.

Walmart ran those out of town.

Nothing to say about how CEO's are being paid what they deserve because they do such a great job?

What? the 9-5 guys are voting for higher taxes on you? and more regulatiosn to keep you from pulling shit?

Oh, Damn. Democracy!!!!

I don't screw any of my employees. The lowest paid person I have makes over $16 an hour. My highest paid employees get paid over 75K a year. My part time people get sick and vacation time and can participate in the company 401K with a 5% match.

So who am I screwing?

No I drive a 10 year old car. A Hyundai Santa Fe if you must know. I have a 14 year old truck too.

I don't waste my money on cars. But it is funny that 6 of my 11 employees all drive cars that are less than 2 years old.

But why isn't Mac on here telling us how this CEO of Target (who is being forced out by the board) how he gets up three hours before the store opened, consults his to do list and decides to ignore the responsibility he has to protect his customers credit.

For his piss poor job performance he is leaving with 55 million. Good gig if you can get it.

Come on Mac. Defend this dude.

I don't get it, what's your point here?

If there are rich people who got a lot of money by fucking people over, does that prove that being successful has nothing to do with successful habits?

Does it prove that successful habits won't help your outcomes? The only route to a better life is to be born into it or to fuck someone over?

Is that really your outlook on life? That's fuckin bleak, man.

Have you considered suicide? Seriously, if I thought the world was as dark as you make it out to be, I'd check out. Sooner than later.

Oh right. And I guess I won't shop anywhere then if I'm going to avoid every company with execs taking all the money. I already don't shop at walmart because they are increasing the size of government by paying so little employees collect welfare. Meanwhile the Waltons make billions.

Why don't you go on about how this failed Target ceo is so great he has to make millions? Or how nobody could possibly do such a bad job for less pay.

Nothing to say about how CEO's are being paid what they deserve because they do such a great job?

I don't care what they get paid. Their contracts are a private matter between them and the company If you don't like the way a company runs then feel free not to buy their stock or patronize them.

Sorry that doesn't fly with me.

If you never ever move up in the world it's no one's fault but your own.

I never once called anyone lazy in this thread have I?

It comes down to desire, discipline and effort.

Sure a lot of people have the desire but they do not cultivate the will or do what it takes to improve their situation.

It's learned helplessness.

Of course it doesn't fly with you. Data means nothing in light of your personal "I got mine, fuck you" world view.

It has more to do with opportunity than want.

If I listened to you I guess I would have settled for a low paying 9-5 and just should have accepted my lot in life because the numbers show that's what most people do.

You had opportunities most poor people don't have, that's how.

Keep up with the "poor people are lazy" meme though. That should really help the GOP.

Of course it doesn't fly with you. Data means nothing in light of your personal "I got mine, fuck you" world view.

Keep up with the "poor people are lazy" meme though. That should really help the GOP.

So if someone acknowledges that the habits of the motivated can positively affect one's economic status, they're saying that "the poor are lazy"?

In order to not offend you so, is everyone supposed to pretend that all success is based on luck?

I'm trying to figure out what you offended lefties are so pissed about.

And what opportunities are those?

I had the opportunity to put myself through school while working a full time job. I didn't get financial aid and I paid off my student loans

You mean I had the opportunity to work a full time night job and a full time day job for 15 years to save enough to start my business?

Gee I guess that was just handed to me on a silver platter

And please find the post where I said anyone was lazy.

I don't care what they get paid. Their contracts are a private matter between them and the company If you don't like the way a company runs then feel free not to buy their stock or patronize them.

Sure the ceo's get paid millions to do a crappy job while the workers get hosed and you don't care. $55 million to retire for this guy, but pensions are bad right?

Sure the ceo's get paid millions to do a crappy job while the workers get hosed and you don't care. $55 million to retire for this guy, but pensions are bad right?

So there's a failed CEO getting a bullshit sum of money, but pensions are bad.

So you can put traps out to kill rats, but I don't suppose anybody gives a shit about genital mutilation in Muslim nations, huh!?

It's pretty easy to complain about Monsantos when your car gets less than 16 miles to the gallon.

1 thing happened, but I bet you still like some unrelated thing!

Oh, Damn. Democracy!!!!

So who am I screwing?

Way to turn that into an insult match so you can claim victory without actually having anything substantive to say.

Real smooth.

So who am I screwing?

Way to turn that into an insult match so you can claim victory without actually having anything substantive to say.

Real smooth.

No, just whenever I hear some barely literate wingnut tell me on the internets how successful he is, I have to take it with a grain of salt.

Real smooth.

No, just whenever I hear some barely literate wingnut tell me on the internets how successful he is, I have to take it with a grain of salt.

That's OK Blowhard I don't believe a word you say either.

But here's the thing.

You don't want to believe that there are people who stopped buying into the "work hard and you'll be rewarded" bullshit.

I'll be 52 tomorrow. I've been working since I was 16.

And I did not spend those 36 years thinking of ways to screw someone over and pat myself on the back for my hard work.

I don't feel a need to politically reward those who do.

I had the opportunity to put myself through school while working a full time job. I didn't get financial aid and I paid off my student loans

You mean I had the opportunity to work a full time night job and a full time day job for 15 years to save enough to start my business?

You might not recognize the opportunities you have because they just came naturally to you. Were you born poor? Were you parents and grandparents poor? If you weren't, then you had opportunities that you were born into.

For a large majority of poor people, no amount of hard work will ever lift them above their stations, because whether you admit it or not, America is not a country of equal opportunities.

While I know I've worked hard my entire life, since I turned 18, I'm not naive enough to thing that it was just my hard work that got me here, it wasn't. A lot was luck and opportunity.

Real smooth.

Plus it's a convenient way to avoid the point that not all rich people fuck over their employees and deserve to be voted out of their gains, even by your own sense of justice. That way you can keep "the rich" intact as a contiguous target at which to shoot the blame for all the ills of the economically disadvantaged.

If it wouldn't have an adverse effect on my motivation, I would almost trade my self awareness for the ability to just shovel all my personal responsibility and hopeless disappointment in society onto a convenient scapegoat, like that. Almost.

But, as it turns out, personal responsibility suits me. Go figure.

You might not recognize the opportunities you have because they just came naturally to you. Were you born poor? Were you parents and grandparents poor? If you weren't, then you had opportunities that you were born into.

For a large majority of poor people, no amount of hard work will ever lift them above their stations, because whether you admit it or not, America is not a country of equal opportunities.

While I know I've worked hard my entire life, since I turned 18, I'm not naive enough to thing that it was just my hard work that got me here, it wasn't. A lot was luck and opportunity.

I don't think anybody's trying to say that hard work is the only factor in success. That would be seriously foolish.

I still don't understand why you insist on marginalizing it, though. While not the only factor, it is -a- factor, yes?

Successful habits -do- create a better outcome than not, yes?

I don't think anybody's trying to say that hard work is the only factor in success. That would be seriously foolish.

I still don't understand why you insist on marginalizing it, though. While not the only factor, it is -a- factor, yes?

Why yes they (successful habits) do create a better outcome.

Now, what part does opportunity play? Your turn.

That's OK Blowhard I don't believe a word you say either.

But here's the thing.

You don't want to believe that there are people who stopped buying into the "work hard and you'll be rewarded" bullshit.

Oh I know there are plenty of people like you out there. You outnumber people who made something of their lives and you always will. I just don't believe that it's impossible to succeed or that it's everyone else's fault if I don't.

I'll be 52 tomorrow. I've been working since I was 16.

You want a fucking medal?

And I did not spend those 36 years thinking of ways to screw someone over and pat myself on the back for my hard work.

No you just spent 36 years whining that you are under appreciated.

I don't feel a need to politically reward those who do.

Yes because every business owner screws their employees.

We get it.

Why yes they (successful habits) do create a better outcome.

Now, what part does opportunity play? Your turn.

Opportunities can be made you know.

Successful people don't wait around for things to fall into their laps.

In fact people pass up opportunities all the time because they don't want to quit a job, or they think it will take too much time away from the TV or their over 40 men's softball league etc

You have to find opportunity because it will never find you.

Forum List

Back