Hard rock and metal from the 80's.

The 80s had some great bands.
Def Leopard
Motley Cru
Metallica
U2
There are not very many great new rock bands nowadays.

I heard some old musician or the other talking about this in a Big Interview with Dan Rather awhile back. It may have been Robbie Robertson from The Band but I can't say for certain it was him.

Anyway, whoever it was being interviewed attributed this to technology allowing people to bypass the traditional A&R pathway of the past so people with a lot of talent are largely going it alone solo using youtube and the like to get their music out and the money coming in without managers, record labels contracts and the like. They can also sell their music directly via downloads without having to turn a chunk of it over to the labels.

I heard some old musician or the other talking about this in a Big Interview with Dan Rather awhile back. It may have been Robbie Robertson from The Band but I can't say for certain it was him.

Anyway, whoever it was being interviewed attributed this to technology allowing people to bypass the traditional A&R pathway of the past so people with a lot of talent are largely going it alone solo using youtube and the like to get their music out and the money coming in without managers, record labels contracts and the like. They can also sell their music directly via downloads without having to turn a chunk of it over to the labels.

Exactly so. Also factor in that modern pop is more commercial & manufactured than it's ever been at any point in history. There's plenty of great music still being made but you're not going to hear it on the radio.

But you can't go wrong with a little Twilight Zone. Good for at least an extra 20 miles per hour on a road trip!:auiqs.jpg:

Motley Crue sucks. They had one good album and this is the best song from it.

They get some credit - Tommy Lee definitely influenced a bunch of young drummers.

All I know for certain is as a child my disappointment was immeasurable when I heard the downward turn they took after Shout at the Devil. From fairly heavy songs about Satan to shit tier songs about strippers.

All I know for certain is as a child my disappointment was immeasurable when I heard the downward turn they took after Shout at the Devil. From fairly heavy songs about Satan to shit tier songs about strippers.
I know where you're coming from...I'm old school - first 4 Metallica, Queensryche, Armored Saint, Testament ,Priest and Maiden of course, then Dream Theater, instrumental stuff like Satriani, Vinnie Moore, Liquid Tension Experiment....I like original old classic rock still../.Zep, Rush, Sabbath, ELP, Yes, Pink Floyd Animals is amazing....and Wish you were Here, old Cream that kind of stuff Hendrix, Santana, Steely Dan ...rip Walter.

I know where you're coming from...I'm old school - first 4 Metallica, Queensryche, Armored Saint, Testament ,Priest and Maiden of course, then Dream Theater, instrumental stuff like Satriani, Vinnie Moore, Liquid Tension Experiment....I like original old classic rock still../.Zep, Rush, Sabbath, ELP, Yes, Pink Floyd Animals is amazing....and Wish you were Here, old Cream that kind of stuff Hendrix, Santana, Steely Dan ...rip Walter.

I was born liking heavy music. Even before I knew the word for it, I came alive when I heard stuff like this on the radio:

My love for the 70's still reigns, but 80's was a close second.

Rest in peace Bon and Malcomb. Your spirits live in every song like this one from 1988

If your true love is seventies I suggest playing mainly 70s. Good luck a cover band is tough rite now. My son worked his fingers to the bone getting his band started. Got to where he was playing some good venues then covid. He is bagging groceries now. One thing I did learn from his experience was that he had a difficult time getting originals accepted. The clubs and the audience wanted things they were use to hearing. He ended up doing alot of the Stones, Floyd, Beatles 70s stuff not 60s. He concentrated on the true gods of rock n roll and gradually added in originals and punk. After some time his band developed their own followers and he could get away with playing what he wanted. The other thing he did was make friends with a couple of all ready established bands and played venues with them. Cut down on set time to start and got his foot in the door at some of the larger venues quicker.

Rest in peace Bon and Malcomb. Your spirits live in every song like this one from 1988

If your true love is seventies I suggest playing mainly 70s. Good luck a cover band is tough rite now. My son worked his fingers to the bone getting his band started. Got to where he was playing some good venues then covid. He is bagging groceries now. One thing I did learn from his experience was that he had a difficult time getting originals accepted. The clubs and the audience wanted things they were use to hearing. He ended up doing alot of the Stones, Floyd, Beatles 70s stuff not 60s. He concentrated on the true gods of rock n roll and gradually added in originals and punk. After some time his band developed their own followers and he could get away with playing what he wanted. The other thing he did was make friends with a couple of all ready established bands and played venues with them. Cut down on set time to start and got his foot in the door at some of the larger venues quicker.

The term 'starving artist' has never become so omnipresent and pervasive in society since the depression.

The term 'starving artist' has never become so omnipresent and pervasive in society since the depression.

Covid fucked the bar band and the bar . My boats stayed filled but tips were almost half a normal year. The rich drunks did not show up this year. Only out doors men. Income was down and so was the females only there for 3 to 5 days. I had to date locals, which meant having to care about feelings and the rumor mill. I hope and pray for normalcy this year. I make a shit load more money and alot more fun.

Forum List

Back