Harry reid should be impeached !!

Nope....but they can be jailed when they leave the protection of their office.

They can be expelled or recalled. They can be impeached. Senator William Blount was impeached in 1798.

And the Senate over turned it saying the House had no authority to impeach a member of the Senate.

And no, members of Congress cannot be recalled. They can be expelled by the body if deemed necessary.

the usmb ball boy show up? :lol:

Right wingers have argued that the courts have not ruled on recalls in Congress so it is ...

:eusa_shhh:

There is a term of address and there is a reality. A Congressman can refer to a person from either house of Congress, whereas Senator is used exclusively for a person elected to the Senate. The term Representative is used exclusively for a person elected to the House of Representatives.

We do not refer to a US Senator as 'Congressman' as a way of formal address, but we do say the President will address a joint session of Congress where he will speak to the members of Congress:

Remarks of President Barack Obama – As Prepared for Delivery
Address to Joint Session of Congress
Tuesday, February 24th, 2009

"Madame Speaker, Mr. Vice President, Members of Congress, and the First Lady of the United States: I’ve come here tonight not only to address the distinguished men and women in this great chamber, but to speak frankly and directly to the men and women who sent us here."

GEORGE W. BUSH, AN ADDRESS TO A JOINT SESSION OF CONGRESS AND THE AMERICAN PEOPLE (20 SEPTEMBER 2001)

" Mr. Speaker, Mr. President Pro Tempore, Members of Congress, and fellow Americans"

Yes they are all members of congress.

follow ...

Harry Reid is STILL not a Congressman.

Technically he is, but we reserve that term for House members most likely because it is easier to say than representative and Senator already sounds good as a label.

not true

what is not true? :eusa_whistle:

What isn't true is that we don't refer to representatives as congressman and senators as senators because that is what we do.

Harry Reid is STILL not a Congressman.

Yeah, he is. His title is Senator, but he is a member of Congress.

Correct. He's a Senator and I'd be willing to bet he'd be insulted if you called him a Congressman.

The House if full of Congressman and the Senate has, well, Senators.

Combine the House and the Senate and you have Congress.

Nope. He might be insulted if you addressed him as 'Congressman..." but having spoken to US Senators I will say none would be upset or insulted if you correctly referred to them as a Congressman or member of Congress, which is the same frigging thing!

Reid should have been indicted for treason when he tried to impact the morale of the Troops by telling them "the war is lost" just before the Troop Surge in Iraq. Nobody in the mainstream media ever asked him what the hell he was trying to do.

You guys are nuts.

They can be expelled or recalled. They can be impeached. Senator William Blount was impeached in 1798.

And the Senate over turned it saying the House had no authority to impeach a member of the Senate.

And no, members of Congress cannot be recalled. They can be expelled by the body if deemed necessary.

Right wingers have argued that the courts have not ruled on recalls in Congress so it is ...

Court kills Robert Menendez recall push - Alex Isenstadt - POLITICO.com

News from The Associated Press

so if ole Harry took illegal money to gain a seat in the senate, isn't that fraud ? also shouldn't that invalidate his position ?

it is NO different than if you or i took a bribe when sitting on a jury !!

An elected official taking money..!!! ??? No way !!!! I don't believe it. That shocking revelation aside ...it is a stupid comparrison. Any jurer taking a bribe is illegal and only occurs in rare instances. You see it on TV once in a while but I've never heard of an actual case of it.

ALL elected officials spend over half of thier waking hours soliciting for contributions or talking to prospective contributors in person. I doubt that there ever has been a congressman or senator that has not been caught up in a contribution that was sketchy and had to return the contribution or ride out the implications of the improper donation.

Elected officials get jacked up by thier opponents over charges of improper donations frequently such as Don Seigalman the Governor of Alabama in 2005. He didn't do anything out of the ordinary but it is one of the easiest charges to smear a politician with.

Is Reid guilty...probably as are 100% of the elected officials in DC. Bachmann is quitting over improper handling of contributions..

John Bohner was openly handing out checks on the floor of the house to get congressman to change thier votes during a vote on tobacco I believe. He was admonished for openly bribing elected officials during session as the vote was being taken.

Using THAT as the bar. What pray tell did Harry Reid do that was worse? I wouldn't mind having him impeached for being a Morman.. :eusa_pray:

John Bohner was openly handing out checks on the floor of the house to get congressman to change thier votes during a vote on tobacco I believe. He was admonished for openly bribing elected officials during session as the vote was being taken.

Using THAT as the bar. What pray tell did Harry Reid do that was worse? I wouldn't mind having him impeached for being a Morman.. :eusa_pray:
yes, and he feigned ignorance and his defenders said the house was taking a break at the time. :lol:

thank you for restating and making Dante's point

Last edited:

Personally, I'm in favor of limiting money in politics, but in light of citizens united, I fiind the RW hyperbole hysterical. Literally.

citizens united is not the cause of big money in campaigns. I actually have come around to agreeing with many of the merits of the pro citizens united case

btw
the fucking media whores make out like bandits then spin it to say they don't. Hollywood style accounting?

Google is your friend. So is the Constitution. Members of Congress cannot be impeached.

No, but if you bother to do a search yourself, you would find this:

Under Article I, Section 5, clause 2, of the Constitution, a Member of Congress
may be removed from office before the normal expiration of his or her constitutional
term by an "expulsion" from the Senate (if a Senator) or from the House of
Representatives (if a Representative) upon a formal vote on a resolution agreed to by
two-thirds of the Members of the respective body present and voting.

However, in Dingy Harry's case, this ain't ever gonna happen. He's the Majority Leader which means he just about controls everything and certainly isn't gonna let anything happen to mar his dynasty.

Yes, I know that, but it's not impeachment....is it?

AND YES !! i know that too.......!! so i used the wrong fucking word !! at this point.., what difference does it make ? i knew his slimy ass could be thrown out, but as stated he has control and THAT is all that matter at this point in time, no matter how much Mr. BigBuck$ throws at "good ole Harry", it's a terrible shame how all you demoncRATS, liarberals all hand in hand, walk lock step to the big Daddy..., Obaminocchio...!!

images

so if ole Harry took illegal money to gain a seat in the senate, isn't that fraud ? also shouldn't that invalidate his position ?

We have this thing called burden of proof.

Reid was not accused of any wrongdoing. He has said he was unaware of any potential problems with the money he received.

"I received $25 million. He raised $150,000," Reid told the Las Vegas Sun earlier this week. "I had money coming in from other places."

and you believe the Moon is made of Green Cheese, Superman is real and Elvis and JFK are chasing grass skirts around a deserted island in the middle of Lake Erie !! RIGHT ?? OK ??

sound the alarm

Congressmen cannot be impeached

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Yes they can.
In the United States, impeachment can occur both at the federal and state level. The Constitution defines impeachment at the federal level and limits impeachment to The President, Vice President, and all civil officers of the United States
It's only been done once, but yes, any civil officer which is a Representative or Senator can be impeached.
The House of Representatives did impeach a senator once: Senator William Blount, in 1798. The Senate expelled Senator Blount and, after initially hearing his impeachment, dismissed the charges for lack of jurisdiction.
This action was discussed way back then and has still left the question open and is still disputed to this day whether Congress are civil officers.
It would not go anywhere even if the charges were brought up, because they would never be able to get the 2/3 votes needed in the House.

Forum List

Back