Has pepper spray replaced guns as THE CHOICE for home defense?

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
I'm something of a gun nut but there is a big big problem with them and that is ear damage. Everybody uses ear protection at the shooting range and even while hunting you can use electronic ear muffs that block loud noises while amplifying soft ones. But shooting even an ordinary handgun like a 45 auto or a 357 mag in your house just once without protection will likely cause significant and permanent ear damage .

The pepper spray business is now a big industry and there are many choices both as canisters or guns with prices from $5 up to $500. But in general they are much cheaper than guns. If you're worried about breathing in the spray yourself, you can buy pepper gel or foam. Pepper guns also have no recoil and so are easier to shoot for women and old people. And there is no risk of a bullet going thru a wall and killing an innocent.

I'm something of a gun nut but there is a big big problem with them and that is ear damage. Everybody uses ear protection at the shooting range and even while hunting you can use electronic ear muffs that block loud noises while amplifying soft ones. But shooting even an ordinary handgun like a 45 auto or a 357 mag in your house just once without protection will likely cause significant and permanent ear damage .

The pepper spray business is now a big industry and there are many choices both as canisters or guns with prices from $5 up to $500. But in general they are much cheaper than guns. If you're worried about breathing in the spray yourself, you can buy pepper gel or foam. Pepper guns also have no recoil and so are easier to shoot for women and old people. And there is no risk of a bullet going thru a wall and killing an innocent.
Pepper spray won't rip the guts out of a thug like a .44 Magnum. That's why I wouldn't use it solely for defense.

The Use-of-Force Continuum | National Institute of Justice

schmalleger-ch06-lecture-36-638.jpg

You can immediately to lethal force at anytime when necessary.

Shadow 355

But shooting even an ordinary handgun like a 45 auto or a 357 mag in your house just once without protection will likely cause significant and permanent ear damage .

I am not a psychologist - so I can't explain why.

In the past, when shooting a deer while deer hunting, there have been times ; I have heard the shot go off - but it did not hurt my ears. No ear ringing, no concussion from the "muzzle blast" like target shooting.

Deer Hunting. You are cold, shivering slightly in the early November morning just as the sun rises. A deer appears, a nice Buck. Once you shoot it....... your ears are not ringing, the "blast" did not injure your ears and for some unexplained reason...... you are not cold and shivering anymore. Don't ask me why, but it is true, and I have experienced it quite a few times.

I have read many stories about Police Officer involved shootings, where the officer did not hear the gun he was shooting go off. He experienced tunnel vision and time seemed to move as in "Slow Motion." I believe those stories.....each and every one I have read.

Shadow 355

Last edited:
Ear damage might happen, they would be ringing at a minimum. Muzzle flash in the semi dark might blind you for a bit too. But pepper spray won't stop someone intent on harming you, especially if they are hopped up on something like PCP or bath salts. You have to stop his organs from functioning. So it's a matter of improving or decreasing your odds, it's all you can do.

I carry OC spray and a fast opening knife while walking and at the dog park because dogs would be moving too fast and I'd likely hit mine.

Fella I know defended himself against an attacking bear with pepper spray.

Fortunately someone traveling with him had a rifle and used it when the spray proved itself unworthy.

Still, it's taking him a long time to get used to his new partial face. He's recovering; the bear isn't.

OK, liberals, now pour out your hearts for the poooooorrrrrrr widdle bear!

For bear all you need is one round. For yourself. And if you smell pepper spray on bear poop, you know what happened.

Pepper spray won't rip the guts out of a thug like a .44 Magnum. That's why I wouldn't use it solely for defense.

I agree, pepper spray is only useful as a quick acting method, ie. if you needed to run away, pepper spray in face would give you an opportunity to run, but it's in no way an adequate defence method.

Fella I know defended himself against an attacking bear with pepper spray.

Fortunately someone traveling with him had a rifle and used it when the spray proved itself unworthy.

Still, it's taking him a long time to get used to his new partial face. He's recovering; the bear isn't.

OK, liberals, now pour out your hearts for the poooooorrrrrrr widdle bear!

Hey that bear better NOT have looked like Boo Boo :crybaby:

latest

I agree, pepper spray is only useful as a quick acting method, ie. if you needed to run away, pepper spray in face would give you an opportunity to run, but it's in no way an adequate defence method.
In Germany pepper spray is illegal but my nieces carry it anyhow. I told them if they ever have to use it to spray, run and scream loudly. I advised them to carry single edge razor blades to cut across the belly to spill an attackers guts on the ground.

In Germany pepper spray is illegal but my nieces carry it anyhow. I told them if they ever have to use it to spray, run and scream loudly. I advised them to carry single edge razor blades to cut across the belly to spill an attackers guts on the ground.

In Austria, our Patriots have been handing Pepper Spray to people for free....of course we're well-armed, to buy shotgun you only need Hunting Permit.

Yes the razor blades are good too, anything is okay for self-defence against a potential savage.

For bear all you need is one round. For yourself. And if you smell pepper spray on bear poop, you know what happened.

Have you often been in these situations with bears?
I've spent a great deal of time researching the age old mystery to see if a bear really does shit in the woods.
Search no longer.

1173722_10152264432352365_946524572_n.jpg

Thank goodness it's not a moving picture, it's only a still :smoke:

Pepper spray is not a go to weapon for personal defense.......I would bet my chances of surviving against violent sociopaths with pepper spray....

In Austria, our Patriots have been handing Pepper Spray to people for free....of course we're well-armed, to buy shotgun you only need Hunting Permit.

Yes the razor blades are good too, anything is okay for self-defence against a potential savage.

It is hard to carry a shotgun on your belt though.....

Forum List

Back