Has police abuse of power lesson through the years or gotten worse?

Notsurprised

Rookie
Jun 11, 2020
My friend who’s in his 80s, a good family man and devoted Christian was not this type of man back in the day. When he was young, he hung out with a bad crowd and ran numbers and did all kinds of illegal things. He said there was not one cop that couldn’t be bought. He grew up seeing them go into stores and other establishments collecting money from the owners. He also bribed a few. He never met one decent cop and this inspired him tremendously to become a policeman. He said he knew that if he was a policeman, he would be able to get away with just about anything. He tried to become a policeman but wasn’t accepted (too short, not sure the reason). It seems like police abuse of power is an ongoing thing with no ending. I remember when I worked in New York, over and over I heard employees and sometimes managers say that the bad attitudes in an office is a reflection of their supervisors or person running the place. (if your boss’ behavior is unscrupulous, the employees will learn to be the same way). In Floyd's situation, the murderous cop was in trouble a few times before for using excessive force and got reprimanded (a slap on the risk) - This cop shouldn't have been sent back out into the streets; instead, he should have been given a desk job and some counsiling - this would had prevented Floyd's death.

On average, there's less abuse of power today than before ... but we still have pockets of police misconduct, like Minneapolis, and these are the places the protesters are focusing on ...

Most of us enjoy an honest and just police force in our day-to-day activities ... folks that have earned our trust ... we just want rid of bad police officers, let's remember to thank our good ones ...

Someone else would have ended up killing Floyd.

On average, there's less abuse of power today than before ... but we still have pockets of police misconduct, like Minneapolis, and these are the places the protesters are focusing on ...

Most of us enjoy an honest and just police force in our day-to-day activities ... folks that have earned our trust ... we just want rid of bad police officers, let's remember to thank our good ones ...

The issue in the past was corruption, just look at NYC in the 60's and 70's for an example.

They even had terms for the really corrupt cops and the only barely corrupt cops, meat eaters vs. grass eaters.

True. Could it be that we are in the hinterland smaller communities and the problem is exacerbated with less community oversight the larger the city or metropolitan area? I knew an unarmed black guy who took 3 rounds in the back from young out of control white cop. He was suspended without pay immediately, fired, brought up on charges and convicted in a small town near here, as he should have been. It was local news as it was after a traffic stop at night (he wasn't even driving and driver was not convicted of anything) with no cameras, but the story was an outlier not a repetitive thing and nobody in government stalled on action or stood on false statements, or answered to a police union. Or, maybe it wasn't an outlier at all and there are many more that have gone down across the country that the rest of us do not hear about routinely in our relatively more peaceful suburban communities?

My friend who’s in his 80s, a good family man and devoted Christian was not this type of man back in the day. When he was young, he hung out with a bad crowd and ran numbers and did all kinds of illegal things. He said there was not one cop that couldn’t be bought. He grew up seeing them go into stores and other establishments collecting money from the owners. He also bribed a few. He never met one decent cop and this inspired him tremendously to become a policeman. He said he knew that if he was a policeman, he would be able to get away with just about anything. He tried to become a policeman but wasn’t accepted (too short, not sure the reason). It seems like police abuse of power is an ongoing thing with no ending. I remember when I worked in New York, over and over I heard employees and sometimes managers say that the bad attitudes in an office is a reflection of their supervisors or person running the place. (if your boss’ behavior is unscrupulous, the employees will learn to be the same way). In Floyd's situation, the murderous cop was in trouble a few times before for using excessive force and got reprimanded (a slap on the risk) - This cop shouldn't have been sent back out into the streets; instead, he should have been given a desk job and some counsiling - this would had prevented Floyd's death.
if Floyd wasn't a criminal he'd be alive..if you make bad decisions that lead to your death, you are partly responsible

....there have always been and always will be bad cops ..they are human
and will make bad decisions
...many serial killers have high IQs, so it doesn't matter if you hire geniuses/stable people/etc--humans will make mistakes
here's some stats in my thread:
AND wrong---you don't know if that would've prevented the death
...EXPERTS in their fields ''kill'' hundreds of innocents = pilots and military
..parents ''kill'' their kids by leaving them in cars
..humans make mistakes/errors/etc..the cop was not trying to kill him, but restrain him--and he did it wrong

...was he bad or did he just make a mistake?
..Mohamed Noor made a mistake--he wasn't a bad cop, was he?

Complaints against police can range from relatively benign issues such as showing up late for duty to severe offenses such as using excessive force
showing up late for work
and complaints mean they are not proven

Take a sofa cushion and kneel on it for nine solid minutes ... imagine the sofa cushion begging for it's life ... imagine the sofa cushion in handcuffs ...

I think it's okay to say this one police officer is bad ... without impinging on all other police officers ... almost all of whom are the finest members in their communities ...

It's a mistake to kill and innocent bystander in a "return fire" situation ... suspect is shooting at police, police are shooting back and they hit the wrong person ... a split second lapse in judgement ... it sometimes happens during a fire-fight ... but nine solid minutes isn't a lapse, it's a conscience decision ...

How quickly we forget the Boston Marathon bombing. What happened to "they were running in while everyone else was running out".

Selective memories. Cops do a great deed = its their job. Cops mess up = All cops are bad.

#butthurt lives matter

Take a sofa cushion and kneel on it for nine solid minutes ... imagine the sofa cushion begging for it's life ... imagine the sofa cushion in handcuffs ...

I think it's okay to say this one police officer is bad ... without impinging on all other police officers ... almost all of whom are the finest members in their communities ...

It's a mistake to kill and innocent bystander in a "return fire" situation ... suspect is shooting at police, police are shooting back and they hit the wrong person ... a split second lapse in judgement ... it sometimes happens during a fire-fight ... but nine solid minutes isn't a lapse, it's a conscience decision ...
so the parents that their kids die in their hot cars tried to kill them?

wrong---you just proved you know nothing of the military...I've read and researched the military for over 40 years--I was in for 8
...these situations are DYNAMIC--look up the definition of that if you don't know what it means
....sometimes friendly fire is NOT split second---they last more than 10 minutes......
Marine Staff Sgt. Troy Schielein of Peoria, Illinois, said the pilots should have recognized the tub-shaped armored assault vehicles, which only the Marine Corps uses.

"There is nothing like an AAV," Schielein said. "I mean, the biggest vehicle that the Iraqis even had was a pickup truck with a machine gun in the back."
etc etc

here--the other person does NOT have a firearm:

....here, this is not a split second decision--the pilot made TWO wrong decisions..the France flight engineer thinks there is a problem....the pilot screwed up

I am 83 years old.

I have lived in Los Angeles since the 1940s.

The LAPD was once a power unto itself. Its chief often ignored the figurehead mayor.

Since the 1990s riots, the mayor has gained more power over the police.

I think that it's fair to say that since the end of World War II, there has been a lot done to lessen police abuses and powers in this country.

And when Mr. Biden becomes President, there will be more laws to deal with police abuses (I hope that a dismissed cop cannot simply go to another jurisdiction and become a cop again, for example.)

I am 83 years old.

I have lived in Los Angeles since the 1940s.

The LAPD was once a power unto itself. Its chief often ignored the figurehead mayor.

Since the 1990s riots, the mayor has gained more power over the police.

I think that it's fair to say that since the end of World War II, there has been a lot done to lessen police abuses and powers in this country.

And when Mr. Biden becomes President, there will be more laws to deal with police abuses (I hope that a dismissed cop cannot simply go to another jurisdiction and become a cop again, for example.)
You figure Progs would have been enlightened many years ago then instead of now.

I never had a friend who was in his 80's and a "good family man and a good Christian" but was a crook at heart. I did know a kid who worked undercover narcotics and was engaged to be married. His fiance talked him into going back on patrol which was less dangerous and within a week he was shot and killed by a maniac he stopped for a traffic violation. I had two other friends and co-workers who were shot and killed in the line of duty so don't go parading the anecdotal account of some 80 year old former bookmaker to try to make a case that all Cops are crooked. It's insulting and it's ignorant. .

It's much less than it was in the past. It's amplified now because of the media.

I never had a friend who was in his 80's and a "good family man and a good Christian" but was a crook at heart. I did know a kid who worked undercover narcotics and was engaged to be married. His fiance talked him into going back on patrol which was less dangerous and within a week he was shot and killed by a maniac he stopped for a traffic violation. I had two other friends and co-workers who were shot and killed in the line of duty so don't go parading the anecdotal account of some 80 year old former bookmaker to try to make a case that all Cops are crooked. It's insulting and it's ignorant. .
I never said or implied that "all" cops are crooked; however, I do believe many are - obviously, you have a problem with what I posted, get over it!

I never said or implied that "all" cops are crooked; however, I do believe many are - obviously, you have a problem with what I posted, get over it!
[/QUOTE
Read your own freaking post. Your 80 year old "expert" claimed he "never met one decent cop". I met a thousand decent Cops including a kid who died way before his time. So far 103 brave Police Officers died in the line of duty in 2020. Whatever your personal bias against Police Officers based on the questionable recollections of an 80 year old man, your post is insulting.

wrong---you just proved you know nothing of the military...I've read and researched the military for over 40 years--I was in for 8
...these situations are DYNAMIC--look up the definition of that if you don't know what it means
....sometimes friendly fire is NOT split second---they last more than 10 minutes......

Yeesh ... did I touch a nerve or something ... we were discussing the police ... and how we want them to respond when they're being shot at ...

There's a guy handcuffed on the ground ... the officer spent nine minutes with his knee on the guy's neck ... what God-forsaken military were you in that didn't require you to spare a man's life when he begged for it? ...

Did you spend nine minutes with your sofa cushion? ... didn't think so ...

Nothing would have prevented Floyd's death. He died of fentanyl and meth stressing an already bad heart. It might have prevented him from dying at that exact moment. That's all. The cop is just a victim of bad luck.

Forum List

Back