Hatred of religion

Geez, wrong again, that's not what Atheists believe. And it's pretty sad that you've been reduced to memes to defend your points.
Are you speaking for all Atheists? Was there a meeting? A doctrine of Atheism?

Or are you just following this guy?:
aa-gill-580x350_62236a.jpg
Is that what you think atheists are all like? Geez brah, the stores are open now, go buy a clue. :D
No, is that all you got out of it? Sad, but not unusual.

There's two groups of people I consider liars or delusional: Those who declare "I know what God wants and you need to do as I say" and those who declare "There is no God nor anything beyond material existence".
Well I'm neither, I'm agnostic, I see no real proof either way for or against the existence of a god, and if anyone ever comes up with real proof either way, I'm open to changing my mind. Can't be any fairer than that.

Why is it so trendy today to attack religion? Historically communist regimes and ideologues such as Karl Marx were the biggest adversaries to religion, because they wanted people to have nothing to trust in other than the state. Coincidentally most atheists today are also progressives who look to "science" and government to offer them meaning.

I fear the popularity of attacking religion is being primarily influenced by cultural Marxism and progressivism, and just like the Soviet Union, the end result won't be pretty.

It is mostly because Religious folks have represented themselves particularly badly. For instance, some are even crazy enough to compare transgenderism to nazi war crimes (even though of course the nazis put the non cis-gendered into death camps).

Kennzeichen_für_Schutzhäftlinge_in_den_Konzentrationslagern.jpg

An excellent scientific article

Religious Experiences Shrink Part of the Brain
A study links life-changing religious experiences, like being “born again,” with atrophy in the hippocampus

Religious Experiences Shrink Part of the Brain
Did you read the entire article?

"The authors offer the hypothesis that the greater hippocampal atrophy in selected religious groups might be related to stress. They argue that some individuals in the religious minority, or those who struggle with their beliefs, experience higher levels of stress. This causes a release of stress hormones that are known to depress the volume of the hippocampus over time. This might also explain the fact that both non-religious as well as some religious individuals have smaller hippocampal volumes.

This is an interesting hypothesis. Many studies have shown positive effects of religion and spirituality on mental health, but there are also plenty of examples of negative impacts. There is evidence that members of religious groups who are persecuted or in the minority might have markedly greater stress and anxiety as they try to navigate their own society.......

.....More importantly, the causal relationship between brain findings and religion is difficult to clearly establish. Is it possible, for example, that those people with smaller hippocampal volumes are more likely to have specific religious attributes, drawing the causal arrow in the other direction? Further, it might be that the factors leading up to the life-changing events are important and not just the experience itself. Since brain atrophy reflects everything that happens to a person up to that point, one cannot definitively conclude that the most intense experience was in fact the thing that resulted in brain atrophy. So there are many potential factors that could lead to the reported results. (It is also somewhat problematic that stress itself did not correlate with hippocampal volumes since this was one of the potential hypotheses proposed by the authors and thus, appears to undercut the conclusions.) One might ask whether it is possible that people who are more religious suffer greater inherent stress, but that their religion actually helps to protect them somewhat. Religion is frequently cited as an important coping mechanism for dealing with stress."

For those who are curious: Memory, Learning, and Emotion: the Hippocampus | PsychEducation

Well I'm neither, I'm agnostic, I see no real proof either way for or against the existence of a god, and if anyone ever comes up with real proof either way, I'm open to changing my mind. Can't be any fairer than that.
Good since agnostic is the most logical position to be even though Richard Dawkins, like other religious leaders, disagrees. ;)

That said, your previous posts defending atheism and attacking those who disagreed seem to conflict with your avowed position.
Geez, wrong again, that's not what Atheists believe. And it's pretty sad that you've been reduced to memes to defend your points.
Is that what you think atheists are all like? Geez brah, the stores are open now, go buy a clue. :D

I am sorry but giving up on curing diseases, science and being a fucking illogical idiot is a good reason to hate something. Religion taken to its extreme is bad for humanity.

So why are the Democrats pushing Communism?

Good since agnostic is the most logical position to be even though Richard Dawkins, like other religious leaders, disagrees. ;)

That said, your previous posts defending atheism and attacking those who disagreed seem to conflict with your avowed position.
The guy just had a distorted view of what atheists are, and I was just trying to help, that's all.

Why is it so trendy today to attack religion?

In case you haven't noticed almost every religion claims to possess exclusive rights to the distribution of the ultimate truth about life on earth.

Why is it that whenever anyone questions such claims or points out contradictions while seeking proof that would confirm the truths that YOU all claim to have hold of, religious people always accuse them of hatred or attacking religion instead of answering the questions?

The guy just had a distorted view of what atheists are, and I was just trying to help, that's all.
Several atheists have a distorted view of theists and vice versa, but you chose to defend all atheists. That's my point. As noted above, I pointed out that "hatred of religion" isn't confined to atheists. Martin Luther attacked the Catholic church, several wars were fought over the differences. Catholics attacked Christians of differing view points and, of course, Jews for centuries prior to Luther. Christians and Muslims fought each other for centuries and Mormons were attacked on a regular basis in the US. Atheist communists sought to replace all religions with adherence (reverences?) for the secular state.

In the end, regardless of beliefs (yes, atheism is a belief) mankind is his own worst enemy.

In case you haven't noticed almost every religion claims to possess exclusive rights to the distribution of the ultimate truth about life on earth.

Why is it that whenever anyone questions such claims or points out contradictions while seeking proof that would confirm the truths that YOU all claim to have hold of, religious people always accuse them of hatred or attacking religion instead of answering the questions?
Not true. Most simply offer a path to God. A few are fanatical about it. Do you believe radical Islam really represents the beliefs of the world's 1.6 Billion Muslims?

Not true. Most simply offer a path to God. A few are fanatical about it. Do you believe radical Islam really represents the beliefs of the world's 1.6 Billion Muslims?

No, I don't think that radical Islam represents the beliefs of all Muslims but radical elements of all religions always usurp positions of authority over all believers of whatever religion whether through deception or force..

I think its naive if not outright deceptive to say that religion merely offers a path to God. In almost every place where one religion or another dominates the area it is extremely coercive, oppressive, tyrannical and actively involved in obsessively persecuting all opposition by influencing laws and customs that favor believers and punish unbelievers through positions in state and local government that they usurp by making false claims to moral authority.

Last edited:
Why is it so trendy today to attack religion? Historically communist regimes and ideologues such as Karl Marx were the biggest adversaries to religion, because they wanted people to have nothing to trust in other than the state. Coincidentally most atheists today are also progressives who look to "science" and government to offer them meaning.

I fear the popularity of attacking religion is being primarily influenced by cultural Marxism and progressivism, and just like the Soviet Union, the end result won't be pretty.

Lol. Attack!!!

the history of the desert religion abrogated by the scripts of the various local sects is proof of their distortion and not the rendering entrusted by the Almighty for the fate of humanity.

Why is it so trendy today to attack religion?
There are still crazy people that think they have a "moral right" to murder abortion doctors, assassinate their Prime Ministers, release sarin gas on commuter trains, and fly planes into buildings.
That has nothing to do with religion. That has to do with insanity, and our current culture of allowing crazy people to walk about and be treated as if they aren't crazy.

What Christianity has practiced testifies against it. The person upon whom is is based would be the first to say so. No wonder people are put off. Islam as well is shown in history to have been involved in much to atone for. These are institutions that function in socio-political ways just like any other human institution, and just as characteristically contemptibly.

Forum List

Back