Health insurers seek big premium hikes for ObamaCare plans in 2016

Freewill

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2011
Obamacare the gift that keeps on taking.

Health insurers seek big premium hikes for ObamaCare plans in 2016 Fox News

Dozens of health insurers selling plans under ObamaCare have requested hefty premium increases for 2016, according to preliminary information published Monday by the White House.

The insurers have cited higher-than-expected care costs from customers they gained under the ObamaCare's coverage expansion and the rising cost of prescription drugs and other expenses as reasons for proposing the increases, many of which are in the double-digit percentages.

Among the market leaders, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina is seeking a roughly 26 percent premium increase, while plans in Illinois and Florida, among other states, are asking for hikes of 20 percent or more. In Pennsylvania, Highmark Health Insurance Co. is asking for a 30 percent increase.

Please read the full link provided by the OP. As usual the headline is basic fear mongering, the substance within the article reports nothing as yet is clear on costs.

been the story all day , your mandated obamacare is going to get more expensive WryCatcher !!

been the story all day , your mandated obamacare is going to get more expensive WryCatcher !!

It's the Bush administration allowing insurers to buy providers.

In all States health care insurers own most or a great percentage of the healthcare providers. So the providers (insurance companies) demand more money from the insurers (themselves). Pretty sweet deal!

FYI: If Reagan hadn't deregulated the HMO act, all of this (ACA) wouldn't be necessary.

I was very happy with the way things were , and this new debacle doesn't really matter to me and my comment is just poking fun '1 percenter' !!

I was very happy with the way things were , and this new debacle doesn't really matter to me and my comment is just poking fun '1 percenter' !!

You were happy with taxpayers fitting the $600B/yr bill for the uninsured? What happened to the Republican mantra of paying your own way?

let the uninsured buy their own insurance like I did '1percenter' .

Part of the cost increase? Overhead. Big, fat, over-reaching government bureaucracy doesn't come cheap folks!

"Five years after the passage of ObamaCare, there is one expense that’s still causing sticker shock across the healthcare industry: overhead costs.

The administrative costs for healthcare plans are expected to explode by more than a quarter of a trillion dollars over the next decade, according to a new study published by the Health Affairs blog.

The $270 billion in new costs, for both private insurance companies and government programs, will be “over and above what would have been expected had the law not been enacted,” one of the authors, David Himmelstein, wrote Wednesday.

Those costs will be particularly high this year, when overhead is expected to make up 45 percent of all federal spending related to the Affordable Care Act. By 2022, that ratio will decrease to about 20 percent of federal spending related to the law.
The study is based on data from both the government’s National Health Expenditure Projections and the Congressional Budget Office. Both authors are members of Physicians for a National Health Program, which advocates for a single-payer system.

"This number – 22.5 percent of all new spending going into overheard – is shocking even to me, to be honest. It’s almost one out of every four dollars is just going to bureaucracy," the study's other author, Steffie Woolhandler, said Wednesday."

Overhead costs exploding under ObamaCare study finds TheHill

let the uninsured buy their own insurance like I did '1percenter' .

Prior to the unaca, individual insurance purchased on one's own was expensive but affordable. A relative had a catastrophic plan (single not family coverage) that ran them $160/month. Now? They pay $650/month. That's over a 400% increase! And the morons who shoved this down our throats call this pos 'affordable'. Yeah, please spin that for me again, leftist morons. But hey, at least this male relative who is mid 50's, no kids, single, is covered for pap smears, mammograms, birth control and pediatric coverage.

I did the same about 12 years ago , I quit my job , wife was nervous so we got a catastrophic plan for a few months , half a year maybe . Wasn't too bad considering it worked for what I wanted Zoom .

Part of the cost increase? Overhead. Big, fat, over-reaching government bureaucracy doesn't come cheap folks!

"Five years after the passage of ObamaCare, there is one expense that’s still causing sticker shock across the healthcare industry: overhead costs.

The administrative costs for healthcare plans are expected to explode by more than a quarter of a trillion dollars over the next decade, according to a new study published by the Health Affairs blog.

The $270 billion in new costs, for both private insurance companies and government programs, will be “over and above what would have been expected had the law not been enacted,” one of the authors, David Himmelstein, wrote Wednesday.

Those costs will be particularly high this year, when overhead is expected to make up 45 percent of all federal spending related to the Affordable Care Act. By 2022, that ratio will decrease to about 20 percent of federal spending related to the law.
The study is based on data from both the government’s National Health Expenditure Projections and the Congressional Budget Office. Both authors are members of Physicians for a National Health Program, which advocates for a single-payer system.

"This number – 22.5 percent of all new spending going into overheard – is shocking even to me, to be honest. It’s almost one out of every four dollars is just going to bureaucracy," the study's other author, Steffie Woolhandler, said Wednesday."

Profiteering by insurance companies.

I did the same about 12 years ago , I quit my job , wife was nervous so we got a catastrophic plan for a few months , half a year maybe . Wasn't too bad considering it worked for what I wanted Zoom .

Before the Bush administration allowed mergers and buyouts of healthcare insurers and providers which led to profiteering in the industry.

Profiteering by insurance companies.

Nope. His policy was cancelled because it was not (un)aca compliant, new policy is, costs are exorbitant because of this pos law. You can't mandate a bunch of things to be covered and expect the premium to stay the same. Had this pos law not been passed there is no fucking WAY his premium w/be 400% higher than it was two years ago.

Forum List

Back