Heavy sandstorm sweeps across Middle East

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Beirut: A dense sandstorm engulfing parts of the Middle East left at least eight people dead and hundreds suffering from respiratory problems on Tuesday, as officials warned residents to stay indoors.

Large parts of Lebanon, Syria, Israel and Cyprus were shrouded in a thick cloud of dust from the storm that began sweeping into the region on Monday.

Refugees from Syria now living in basic conditions in Lebanon were badly affected.

In Syria itself, the storm meant government warplanes and helicopters carried out fewer strikes, but at least six people died across the country from respiratory failure, a monitor said.

"There were four (killed) in Deir Ezzor, including a child and an elderly woman, as well as another child in Hama province and a person in Daraa," said Rami Abdel Rahman, head of the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
Heavy sandstorm sweeps across Middle East

And as if it couldn't suck enough...........have a sandstorm.

Actually the wind did it, reminds me of reading about the horrible sandstorm after the depression in the low 1930's , they say that greatly contributed to the lasting of the US depression.

Actually the wind did it, reminds me of reading about the horrible sandstorm after the depression in the low 1930's , they say that greatly contributed to the lasting of the US depression.

I am amazed------somehow Penelope has run into the fact of the DUST BOWL era
of the 1930's ----she "read" something other than her usual islamo Nazi "literature"

very good, penelope

Part of it is due to the unrelentless cutting down trees and shrubs for firewood.

where? ------we are talking Middle east------not the rocky mountain range-----
ain't a whole lot of trees out there in the SAHARA-------its the goats-----they eat the
little plants---------a goat gotta eat. The DUST BOWL of the 1930s was the
fault of the COWBOYS -----la la la O' the farmer and the cowboy should be friends------the cow boy-------destroys the plains and buries the famer in dust

Part of it is due to the unrelentless cutting down trees and shrubs for firewood.

ain't a whole lot of trees out there in the SAHARA-------its the goats-----they eat the
fault of the COWBOYS -----la la la O' the farmer and the cowboy should be friends------the cow boy-------destroys the plains and buries the famer in dust

You clearly didn't read the OP, did you.

It says NOTHING about the Sahara!

It refers to Syria, Lebanon, Iraq, and others.

(No mention of Israel which has a massive reforestation program.)

These large sand and dust storms are a significant natural hazard in the region, and are often driven by fierce northwest winds called shamal winds. They blow in from the northwest with the passing of a storm with a strong cold front, which is the leading edge of a mass of cold air. The passage of cold fronts in the Northern Hemisphere often brings snow followed by strong west or northwest winds. In the Middle East, these winds scour the dust and sand off the surface and loft it into the air. In Iran, where the winter storms have been bringing heavy snow, dust has settled onto snow-covered mountains.

These large sand and dust storms are a significant natural hazard in the region, and are often driven by fierce northwest winds called shamal winds. They blow in from the northwest with the passing of a storm with a strong cold front, which is the leading edge of a mass of cold air. The passage of cold fronts in the Northern Hemisphere often brings snow followed by strong west or northwest winds. In the Middle East, these winds scour the dust and sand off the surface and loft it into the air. In Iran, where the winter storms have been bringing heavy snow, dust has settled onto snow-covered mountains.

Its going on in Israel too-------I know it is happening---but I do not know how bad it
is over there I will have more information when I contact my "SOURCES".
As to Syria ----they got deforestation there?-----

Its going on in Israel too-------I know it is happening---but I do not know how bad it
is over there I will have more information when I contact my "SOURCES".
As to Syria ----they got deforestation there?-----

Here;s the news about the weather in Israel. Except for the sandstorm, it sounds like the weather in the Los Angeles area. I can imagine the usage of electricity here is also at an all-time high, and I am keeping my fingers crossed that there isn't a brownout.

Israelis suffer through worst dust storm in 10 years

of the 1930's ----she "read" something other than her usual islamo Nazi "literature"

very good, penelope

IRosie, do you think she was forced to read the Grapes of Wrath in school? Many of the descendents of those who were called Okies are still living in Central California. Could be that there are some "Okies" still living who can tell Penelope just how it was during those days.

very good, penelope

IRosie, do you think she was forced to read the Grapes of Wrath in school? Many of the descendents of those who were called Okies are still living in Central California. Could be that there are some "Okies" still living who can tell Penelope just how it was during those days.

sally ------Penelope was, simply, advertising her ERUDITION------somewhere she learned about the disaster which was the DUSTBOWL_--------I doubt that she read the whole "GRAPES OF WRATH" it's a long book-------she is comic book level

very good, penelope

I lived for a year in SD CA in the mid 70's , it was a rat hole then. I don't live down south either, but have spent time down there, I like MI just fine.

very good, penelope

I lived for a year in SD CA in the mid 70's , it was a rat hole then. I don't live down south either, but have spent time down there, I like MI just fine.

did anyone ask you, Penelope? Sally----John Steinbeck did a good job----and
there was even a movie-----Peter Fonda was fantastic. No doubt there are still
OKIES in California------I do not know why Penelope calls them "rats"

very good, penelope

Yes well when people talk about me, I think I should be there, but go ahead and have your fun.
:lol:

very good, penelope

Yes well when people talk about me, I think I should be there.

be wherever you wish, Penelope-----this is a message board in CYBERSPACE-----we are all "TOGETHER" in cyberspace

very good, penelope

very good, penelope

Yes well when people talk about me, I think I should be there.

be wherever you wish, Penelope-----this is a message board in CYBERSPACE-----we are all "TOGETHER" in cyberspace

Imagine if Penelope didn't have these message boards. My goodness, she would be organizating a march in her town just like those NeoNazis did in Skokie.

As far as Penelope living in Southern California, I don't believe she ever crossed her state line. I can declare that I visited a number of towns in her state and I noticed that there were plenty of skinheads walking the streets just like they do in Hayden Lake, Idaho. Who would know whether it was true or not?

So many people around the world would love to live in Southern California, and this is why you see people of all races, ethnicities and religions living together here, getting along, and are happy they are able to reside here unlike the thousands and thousands, probably even millions, around the world who will never have this opportunity I doubt if Penelope's Hicksville sees such diversity

As for John Steinbeck and the Grapes of Wrath, he won awards for this book. Perhaps Penelope would like to try reading Cannery Row. It is not as long, and if she ever "comes back" to California, after she visits Bakersfield and talks to some of the descendents of the "Oakies" from the Dust Bowl, she can take a trip to Monterey and see where the old Cannery Row was situated.. Now it is all built up.

cannery row monterey - Google Search

gee---you got everything there-------beach, BIG ROCKS, malls and shops-------cans right off the lines-------and---warm weather-----even palm trees

Forum List

Back