Here We Go: Teacher Shortages 22-23

Year round school is BEST
Conforming to Stupidity Creates Stupidity

An honors class was given a final test in June. The average score was 92. Then, in September, after summer vacation, they were given the exact same test. The average score was 65.

Not only should summer vacation be abolished, so should final exams throughout this sorry excuse for education. The students cram for them, so it is only temporary knowledge. Yet they get the grades as if they had actually learned anything. That's the real reason they make stupid statements such as Jefferson being President during the Civil War. Most of these stupid answers are from those who got it correctly on final exams. So don't blame the teachers for doing the job wrong. Nor the unions, either. Blame cramfest grades.

As for the former reason for summer vacation, Diploma Dumbos are too shallow-minded to see the fallacy in that reason. Why should children in the cities or growing up on rich farms have had to follow that? So there must have been some other reason for it. A dumbing-down reason.

Last edited:
They can take music lessons after school, like I did. It is more important to have a basic knowledge of history than know how to play the piano.

I’ve been hearing lately how poorly educated kids are who come out of government schools, so I put it to the test last week and asked a 20-year-old the following questions:

1) When was the Civil War?
2) Who was president during it?
3) When was World War 2.

Her answers were:

1) The 1700s
2) Jefferson
3) 1912

Public schools are graduating total ignoramuses.
You don't think he was not taught that? If not, you are the bigger moron.

It also includes college grads with degrees in engineering and computer programming who skew it up. And remember - those averages are what full-time workers earns. In order to compare apples to apples, we’d have to subtract at least 15% to compare fully to teachers.

Listen, if you want to earn more money, you’ll need to start working full-time.
You don't consider 50 hours a week, for ten plus months, full-time?

Funny you say that. I'm a special education teacher and department chair and I work with paraeducators, also known as teacher's aides. It's a week and a half before school starts and I've been working a week already for this school year, having spent four weeks of the summer teaching summer school to kids who failed the previous year, and one week at an out of town training event.

So much for only working ten months out of the year.*

Two weeks ago, I was staffed up for paraeducators in my department. But our newcomer program was short two bilingual paras, so I lost a new hire that happens to speak Spanish. The district sped department gave us the applicant who was on the bottom of the pile since all the others had been hired. Her interview did not go well. Nice enough lady, but she now works at a day care as a "teacher" with her own classroom. It was obvious that she was not enthused to work with junior high aged kids, nor to be the helper in multiple classrooms instead of running her own.

We'll have to hire her though, if she'll accept the job. The reason that we have a hard time finding paraprofessionals is that they are paid so low, even considering all the time off they get. We get some amazing people for the money we pay, and they do a lot of good. But if we want more of them to help with the surge of migrants, for example, we have to be ready to pay more.

*I know that the image of a teacher is short hours and long vacations. Technically, a teacher is only required to be at school (in my district) 7:35 to 3:35 with a half hour duty-free lunch. But there is no way to do the job of a teacher in seven and a half hours. Not if you care about actually teaching the kids, which 95% strong do care. We end the year three or four days after the kids do and start the next year one to three weeks before the kids show up. We all take trainings in the summer, and those without rich husbands work summer school.

Biggest reason young teachers quit after the first year is that they realize that "the whole summer off" and "short work days" are myths.

Conforming to Stupidity Creates Stupidity

An honors class was given a final test in June. The average score was 92. Then, in September, after summer vacation, they were given the exact same test. The average score was 65.

Not only should summer vacation be abolished, so should final exams throughout this sorry excuse for education. The students cram for them, so it is only temporary knowledge. Yet they get the grades as if they actually learned anything.

As for the former reason for summer vacation, Diploma Dumbos are too shallow-minded to see the fallacy in that reason. Why should children in the cities or growing up in rich farms have had to follow that? So there must have been some other reason for it. A dumbing-down reason.
They should teach things that the kids will remember. Education problem solved.

How would you know?

I would teach a unit and test students on the content. Come final exam time, they would fail miserably! Their excuse was "Oh, I forgot!" despite my having reviewed it before the final.

This applied in my math and social studies classes both!
Sounds like a call to examine the whole purpose of formal education.

You are such an idiot! You constantly pontificate on things you know nothing about. No wonder your nuts turned to wood!
I'm a fast learner. I have improved every job I have ever done, usually to the amazement of my bosses. I could do the same with education. :biggrin:

When I was young I spent so much time hunting that my dad said I was "woods nuts", thus the handle.

I'm a fast learner. I have improved every job I have ever done, usually to the amazement of my bosses. I could do the same with education. :biggrin:

When I was young I spent so much time hunting that my dad said I was "woods nuts", thus the handle.
You should become a teacher and see how wrong your opinions are.

I prefer my explanation for your user name much better.

I suppose if your Dad called you a worthless bastard you would use that as a username?

They should teach things that the kids will remember. Education problem solved.
There Are No College English Majors; They Are All Literature Majors. That's Why Their Grammar Is So Ignorant and Dysfunctional.

With Geography, for example, students should learn first all the streets in their neighborhood, then the geography of the closest city. The rest should be learned outside of schools, by themselves on a need-to-know basis.

High school English should teach the same grammar subjects that are taught in grade school, except on a more advanced level. Literature shouldn't be taught at all; it is a frill. In fact, all Liberal Arts are really Leisure-Class Arts.

How would you know?

I would teach a unit and test students on the content. Come final exam time, they would fail miserably! Their excuse was "Oh, I forgot!" despite my having reviewed it before the final.

This applied in my math and social studies classes both!
We remember what is important in our everyday lives. In school, we cram for tests and then do a brain dump right after to make room for the next cram session.

I took German classes while stationed in Germany and learned it to reasonable fluency. When teaching elementary school, I self-taught Spanish through multiple language programs and learned conversational Spanish. Now that I'm long since out of Germany, and teaching Junior high for years, where the immigrants speak English as well as the Anglo kids, I have forgotten much of both.

Meanwhile, the newcomer kids absorb English like a sponge, and never forget because they use it every day.

Funny you say that. I'm a special education teacher and department chair and I work with paraeducators, also known as teacher's aides. It's a week and a half before school starts and I've been working a week already for this school year, having spent four weeks of the summer teaching summer school to kids who failed the previous year, and one week at an out of town training event.

So much for only working ten months out of the year.*

Two weeks ago, I was staffed up for paraeducators in my department. But our newcomer program was short two bilingual paras, so I lost a new hire that happens to speak Spanish. The district sped department gave us the applicant who was on the bottom of the pile since all the others had been hired. Her interview did not go well. Nice enough lady, but she now works at a day care as a "teacher" with her own classroom. It was obvious that she was not enthused to work with junior high aged kids, nor to be the helper in multiple classrooms instead of running her own.

We'll have to hire her though, if she'll accept the job. The reason that we have a hard time finding paraprofessionals is that they are paid so low, even considering all the time off they get. We get some amazing people for the money we pay, and they do a lot of good. But if we want more of them to help with the surge of migrants, for example, we have to be ready to pay more.

*I know that the image of a teacher is short hours and long vacations. Technically, a teacher is only required to be at school (in my district) 7:35 to 3:35 with a half hour duty-free lunch. But there is no way to do the job of a teacher in seven and a half hours. Not if you care about actually teaching the kids, which 95% strong do care. We end the year three or four days after the kids do and start the next year one to three weeks before the kids show up. We all take trainings in the summer, and those without rich husbands work summer school.

Biggest reason young teachers quit after the first year is that they realize that "the whole summer off" and "short work days" are myths.
Stop the surge of "migrants".

We remember what is important in our everyday lives. In school, we cram for tests and then do a brain dump right after to make room for the next cram session.

I took German classes while stationed in Germany and learned it to reasonable fluency. When teaching elementary school, I self-taught Spanish through multiple language programs and learned conversational Spanish. Now that I'm long since out of Germany, and teaching Junior high for years, where the immigrants speak English as well as the Anglo kids, I have forgotten much of both.

Meanwhile, the newcomer kids absorb English like a sponge, and never forget because they use it every day.
They forget in a matter of weeks, despite reviewing it about a week before the exam. You are comparing apples to oranges.

They can take music lessons after school, like I did. It is more important to have a basic knowledge of history than know how to play the piano.

I’ve been hearing lately how poorly educated kids are who come out of government schools, so I put it to the test last week and asked a 20-year-old the following questions:

1) When was the Civil War?
2) Who was president during it?
3) When was World War 2.

Her answers were:

1) The 1700s
2) Jefferson
3) 1912

Public schools are graduating total ignoramuses.

And as much as it pains me as a lover of history, so what.

I've been working for 30 years since I left the army in 1992. Who was president during the Civil War has never come up on an interview, during the execution of my job duties, or really any other discussion.

I worry less about the guy doesn't know when the civil war happened and MORE about the guy who proudly flies a Confederate Flag and thinks Lincoln was in the wrong.

Why do you assume that is the fault of the teachers, whose policies are decided by administrators, school boards, and superintendents?

The state funds 90% of education. There not too many billionaires getting tax breaks in any state I have lived in, except those that have no state income tax.

No, it really is the teacher who doesn't give a fuck because he knows he can't be fired no matter how mediocre his performance is.

Forum List

Back