Here's a tip: Don't

What I mean is that instead of forcing the customer at the end of a meal to give the infamous tip then and there....that same tip will be included in the price and will be given to the person at the end of the day.

That way you don't have to see their hungry, expecting, greedy eyes all over ya'....that is what I find in bad taste....it gives me indigestion.

I do not feel greedy eyes in as much as I do experience fine service. All the parties know the score: Good service is rewarded, bad service is not. When I worked in a gas station I would bust my little butt washing windows, left the hood and check fluids and hope I would get a tip. I remember one day making $40, for a kid that not bad. I watch for those who go the extra step and reward that action. It makes a difference.

They did used to tip for service at gas stations now that you mention it. Look at what has happened to wages since that stopped happening. They all make minimum wage and there is like one employee per shift behind the counter doing cashier work. Service is no longer at service stations.

When you were a kid they had cars?

I do not feel greedy eyes in as much as I do experience fine service. All the parties know the score: Good service is rewarded, bad service is not. When I worked in a gas station I would bust my little butt washing windows, left the hood and check fluids and hope I would get a tip. I remember one day making $40, for a kid that not bad. I watch for those who go the extra step and reward that action. It makes a difference.

They did used to tip for service at gas stations now that you mention it. Look at what has happened to wages since that stopped happening. They all make minimum wage and there is like one employee per shift behind the counter doing cashier work. Service is no longer at service stations.

A-hole. :D

What I'm saying is that if you include that money in the cost of a meal, the servers will not see much of it at all. They will be making minimum wage and that's it.

Take that up with the owner. It's his/her job to pay the staff.

When I worked in a gas station I would bust my little butt washing windows, left the hood and check fluids and hope I would get a tip. I remember one day making $40, for a kid that not bad. I watch for those who go the extra step and reward that action. It makes a difference.

You get that kind of 1950s service at gas stations in Japan today. No tips.

It is just an attempt to enforce equality in a system that rewards individuals according to their talents.
More redistribution in favor of the folks who suck at accomplishing the tips on their merit.

That already happens. Many places, all the tips go into a 'pool' that is divided among the waitstaff. So much for your meritocracy. How about the owner fires bad servers and pays those who make the cut rather well?

When I worked in a gas station I would bust my little butt washing windows, left the hood and check fluids and hope I would get a tip.

I worked at a gas station/car wash part of the year when I was in high school. I cleaned the windows, checked the oil, etc. every time. There was no tipping allowed, per owner. I took pride in doing good work.

A-hole. :D

Sorry

Did he have to crank the car to start them after the service?

Is that better?

Both my son and daugher, tips as waitress and waiter have paid a significant portion of their college costs.
Tipping is a great tradition.

When I was in college and working as a waitress, I lived off my tips. Salary paid for tuition and rent, tips covered everything else. In America, waiters and waitresses are paid below minimum wage because it is expected they earn tips. Without tips, you would not find anyone who wants to be a waiter or waitress, except maybe teenagers who are just working for pocket money. If you don't want to pay tips, don't go out to eat.

Not my business what they make per hour. That should be between the worker and the employer. I would hope they are paid what they are worth.

The bad would make as much as the good then. Theoretically

The bad would get fired and the good would get a raise. Theoretically.

And the cost of iffy service would rise substantially.

All costs would raise substantially. Your affordable night out now becomes very expensive. You do realize the cost of an employee is far more than the hourly wage. Right?

All the suppliers, the equipment repairmen, the maintenance workers, the delivery drivers, everybody's wages go up and all that ends up as the cost of the end product.

All for a zero net gain and bad service to boot

Bravo!

Without tips, you would not find anyone who wants to be a waiter or waitress

Of course you would, because they would not be making $2.50/hr. This has been pointed out again and again. Some people have the attention of a goldfish.

Of course you would, because they would not be making $2.50/hr. This has been pointed out again and again. Some people have the attention of a goldfish.

For a short time as a bartender in college I made $2.10 an hour in wages and $25+ an hour in tips ... Your idea sucks big time.

The bad would make as much as the good then. Theoretically

The bad would get fired and the good would get a raise. Theoretically.

And the cost of iffy service would rise substantially.

All costs would raise substantially. Your affordable night out now becomes very expensive. You do realize the cost of an employee is far more than the hourly wage. Right?

All the suppliers, the equipment repairmen, the maintenance workers, the delivery drivers, everybody's wages go up and all that ends up as the cost of the end product.

All for a zero net gain and bad service to boot

Bravo!

Service is bad now, far too often. If someone cannot run a profitable business without shaking down customers this way they should shut the doors. It is not necessary, whatever excuses you try to dream up.

For a short time as a bartender in college I made $2.10 an hour in wages and $25+ an hour in tips ... Your idea sucks big time.

You've got a real future in the Mafia Industry. And it's not my idea and it's not 'new.'

Forum List

Back