Here's a tip: Don't

Without tips, you would not find anyone who wants to be a waiter or waitress

Of course you would, because they would not be making $2.50/hr. This has been pointed out again and again. Some people have the attention of a goldfish.

For a short time as a bartender in college I made $2.10 an hour in wages and $25+ an hour in tips ... Your idea sucks big time.

That has been pointed out dozens of times to him

Buy em books and buy em books and all they do is eat the teacher

The bad would get fired and the good would get a raise. Theoretically.

And the cost of iffy service would rise substantially.

All costs would raise substantially. Your affordable night out now becomes very expensive. You do realize the cost of an employee is far more than the hourly wage. Right?

All the suppliers, the equipment repairmen, the maintenance workers, the delivery drivers, everybody's wages go up and all that ends up as the cost of the end product.

All for a zero net gain and bad service to boot

Bravo!

Service is bad now, far too often. If someone cannot run a profitable business without shaking down customers this way they should shut the doors. It is not necessary, whatever excuses you try to dream up.

Try thinking for a change

Your proposal destines the customer to higher prices and worse service.

Do not, I repeat, do not run for office. K?

Of course you would, because they would not be making $2.50/hr. This has been pointed out again and again. Some people have the attention of a goldfish.

You're an idiot, and that's the nicest thing anyone could say about you.

If there were no tips and people were paid minimum wage as food servers, which is all they would be paid, the service would go downhill fast. It is very hard work both physically and psychologically; the mental part is difficult because people are rude, demanding,and often totally disrepectful to wait staff. No one would work in that field for low pay, and the pay would be low, except teenagers and the very desperate.

You are so completely stupid it isn't even funny.

AGAIN, not 'my' proposal. Higher prices would be a wash since the shakedown would be taken out of the equation, and worse service is not a necessary result at all.

If there were no tips and people were paid minimum wage as food servers, which is all they would be paid

Pay attention, goldfish. It has been repeated over and over and over and over and over and over that the waitstaff would be compensated according to the value of their work. There is no reason to expect this to be minimum wage. I would expect the staff to be compensated well and to see that reflected in the bill. A bill I would pay without going through some archaic ritual shakedown.

Before you make another stupid post, do yourself a favor and read through the thread.

AGAIN, not 'my' proposal. Higher prices would be a wash since the shakedown would be taken out of the equation, and worse service is not a necessary result at all.

Fool!

The wages of everyone would go up, all along the distribution chain. Prices have to rise.

You now have three options to avoid the shakedown (which never EVER happens. I have never seen a waiter / waitress ever even ask to be tipped)

1. Go somewhere where tips are not allowed. I hear Mickey D's has an ass kickin Fillet O Fish. Right up your ally.

2. Go to a restaurant that relies on tips and stiff the staff. Ain't no law sayin you have to tip

3. Fly the hell to Japan and have it your way

You have options

Last edited:
3. Fly the hell to Japan and have it your way

You have options

Maybe YOU should fly over and see that it works just fine. Eating out is somewhat more expensive but not as much as you seem to assume it would be, service is far - FAR better, and both customer and employee are largely satisfied. You're just making excuses for a ridiculous status quo.

If there were no tips and people were paid minimum wage as food servers, which is all they would be paid, the service would go downhill fast. It is very hard work both physically and psychologically; the mental part is difficult because people are rude, demanding,and often totally disrepectful to wait staff. No one would work in that field for low pay, and the pay would be low, except teenagers and the very desperate.

I don't know who it was upthread who thought food service shouldn't even be a career. They have so little respect for hard working people and it's based on them not wanting them to earn a fair wage.

Disrespectful and insensitive to people trying to carve out a good life for themselves.

Administrative assistants and HR used to be positions for women who wanted to get some part time work after their kids went to school. Very low pay. Now people are getting degrees and have lifted those areas up into very viable careers.

Try thinking for a change

Do not, I repeat, do not run for office. K?

You are ASSUMING that higher wages and zero tips will mean poor service. That is not the case.

I don't get tips but I do earn a proper hourly wage of $18 an hour. I deal with customers whom I honestly hope get hit by a bus, they shit me that much, but that is all part of working in customer service.

If I was working for low wages and tips, I wouldn't bother showing up to work. I am not going to rely on a complete stranger to pay me enough money to cover my rent.

When I worked in a gas station I would bust my little butt washing windows, left the hood and check fluids and hope I would get a tip. I remember one day making $40, for a kid that not bad. I watch for those who go the extra step and reward that action. It makes a difference.

Why work hard HOPING you will get a tip and then not get one at all? All that hard work for nothing, when you could just do the work and get paid a proper wage.

I prefer that.

I don't get tips but I do earn a proper hourly wage of $18 an hour. I deal with customers whom I honestly hope get hit by a bus, they shit me that much, but that is all part of working in customer service.

If I was working for low wages and tips, I wouldn't bother showing up to work. I am not going to rely on a complete stranger to pay me enough money to cover my rent.

It doesn't work that way at all, if you are good at your job. Very few stiff you completely, some don't give big tips, but most of the people make up for any low tips. A good waiter/waitress makes very good money in tips. I was only 18 years old and working in the downtown business neighborhood at lunch time, in a restaurant that catered to business men and women, and I made enough in tips for food and other living expenses. There was a jar in my apartment when I dumped all my tips and I just went there anytime I needed something. My wages paid for rent and tuition. The harder you work, the better the service you give, the more tips you make: you are paid directly related to how your perform day in and day out, which is often not the case with other jobs.

Last edited:
You now have three options to avoid the shakedown (which never EVER happens. I have never seen a waiter / waitress ever even ask to be tipped)

At the place where I worked behind the bar ... Saying anything while on the floor about a tip you thought you should be receiving, you received or didn't receive ... Could get you fired on the spot ... There was certainly no shakedown.
You could say Thanks You to the customer, but that was all you could say about the tip.

Last edited:

At the place where I worked behind the bar ... Saying anything while on the floor about a tip you thought you should be receiving, you received or didn't receive ... Could get you fired on the spot ... There was certainly no shakedown.
You could say Thanks You to the customer, but that was all you could say about the tip.

As part of my job I am asked to take a client to lunch at least once a week. That has been a requirement on me for over 20 years. That's a minimum of over 1000 business lunches over that time period. Add that to taking my beautiful trophy wife out at least twice a month and that's a whole lotta experience.

I've never had a Server ask once for a tip, never had one hold their hands out for a tip, or watch to see how much of a tip I was leaving.

Yet some on this thread make it seem as though that's a primary event during their dining out.

So, please, be so kind and let me know just where these horrible experiences actually happen so the rest of us can avoid them.

Oh, and I hear Burger King has a two sandwich for $5 special going on. I bet you won't be hounded for a tip there

It is way beyond time to declare this thread

Failed

Last edited:
We can only hope that more restaurants follow the lead of those like the one in the OP. Once customers have a chance to experience eating out without the shakedown, it would be very interesting to see how those holding on to the archaic annoyance fare in open competition.

Sadly, this probably won't happen as there are so many lemmings willing to be abused and coerced into doing the owner's job for him/her.

We can only hope that more restaurants follow the lead of those like the one in the OP. Once customers have a chance to experience eating out without the shakedown, it would be very interesting to see how those holding on to the archaic annoyance fare in open competition.

Sadly, this probably won't happen as there are so many lemmings willing to be abused and coerced into doing the owner's job for him/her.

See post 96. Would work at McDonalds instead.

Just sad

See post 96. Would work at McDonalds instead.

Just sad

Good waitstaff would, of course, make a lot more than at McDonald's, but if someone wanted to do that, so be it.

What about the single mom whose sister stays with her kids while she works the night shift so she can attend classes during the day?

Forum List

Back