Here's a tip: Don't

We can only hope that more restaurants follow the lead of those like the one in the OP. Once customers have a chance to experience eating out without the shakedown, it would be very interesting to see how those holding on to the archaic annoyance fare in open competition.

Sadly, this probably won't happen as there are so many lemmings willing to be abused and coerced into doing the owner's job for him/her.

See post 96. Would work at McDonalds instead.

Just sad

Good waitstaff would, of course, make a lot more than at McDonald's, but if someone wanted to do that, so be it.

You realize you offer a net gain of zero.

Just don't tip and your world will stay on course. The servers will always be able to rely on folks like me to make up for the stiffs.

Or go to the land of the ninja warriors and we have a win/win

Last edited:
You realize you offer a net gain of zero.

The "gain" would be for the customer in the form of less hassle and no extortion.

I've asked you before when you have run across this extortion. You FAILED to respond.

As for hassle, if figuring out what 20% of any amount is, I suggest you buy a smart phone with an appropriate app or carry a cheap calculator

If those are too tough for you..

Stay the frick home. We will not miss you!

Oh, I hazard to guess that I am a customer far more than you. I have never felt hassled by doing 4th grade level math.

If you are that bothered by it, you have far bigger problems than I should comment on.

Last edited:
The "gain" would be for the customer in the form of less hassle and no extortion.

I've asked you before when you have run across this extortion. You FAILED to respond. .

The whole ridiculous practice is one big shakedown, stupid.

Just like you actually having to pay a menu price is a shakedown.

You just really need to get a freaking life. Stay home, we don't need anymore idiots out walking around.

When I worked in a gas station I would bust my little butt washing windows, left the hood and check fluids and hope I would get a tip.

I worked at a gas station/car wash part of the year when I was in high school. I cleaned the windows, checked the oil, etc. every time. There was no tipping allowed, per owner. I took pride in doing good work.

I take pride in whatever I do regardless whether it is for pay or not.

When I worked in a gas station I would bust my little butt washing windows, left the hood and check fluids and hope I would get a tip. I remember one day making $40, for a kid that not bad. I watch for those who go the extra step and reward that action. It makes a difference.

Why work hard HOPING you will get a tip and then not get one at all? All that hard work for nothing, when you could just do the work and get paid a proper wage.

I prefer that.

There are positions where there is no salary only commission. Moreover, as a business owner I had to generate not only enough money to keep the lights on, but salaries, bomuses and all that comes with having employees, not to mention Christmas presents for clients....(big cost there
t7715.gif
)...

A lot of places in Europe do not have tipping and the service is HORRIBLE.

You take out the incentive to do a good job and the service will follow right behind it.
[MENTION=38085]Noomi[/MENTION] I worked for tips for twenty years and always did very well. If I leave it up to my boss to pay me - I would not have made any money at all - I'd rather the customer pay me what I'm worth.

Last edited:
My daughter worked in high school and college as a hostess in expensive restaurants in Vegas. Her job was to great and seat people. She used to get angry when anyone failed to tip her. I asked her to tell me what she had done to improve the dinning experience for those that did not tip her. She told me that her time alone was worth a tip.

I found it necessary to sit her down and explain the economic facts of life to her.

Fortunately, she made it through her schooling as, as a RN, is no longer in the hospitality industry.

Japanese restaurants in New York introduce ban on tipping ? Japan Today: Japan News and Discussion

"In Japan, there’s no custom of tipping. In fact, leaving a tip could potentially be considered rude, as the cost of the service is already supposed to be included in the price you pay. My American buddy’s attempt to follow his home custom in Japan ended in the delivery driver apologising profusely for not accepting the tip! In New York City, meanwhile, Japanese restaurants are bringing the no-tipping custom Stateside, as Restaurant Riki becomes the latest Manhattan establishment to ban their customers from tipping."

If only this would become a growing trend. If only...

except restaurant workers are paid $2 and change an hour b/c they get tipped.

so good luck with that.

but why would tipping bother you?

Japanese restaurants in New York introduce ban on tipping ? Japan Today: Japan News and Discussion

"In Japan, there’s no custom of tipping. In fact, leaving a tip could potentially be considered rude, as the cost of the service is already supposed to be included in the price you pay. My American buddy’s attempt to follow his home custom in Japan ended in the delivery driver apologising profusely for not accepting the tip! In New York City, meanwhile, Japanese restaurants are bringing the no-tipping custom Stateside, as Restaurant Riki becomes the latest Manhattan establishment to ban their customers from tipping."

except restaurant workers are paid $2 and change an hour b/c they get tipped.

So they should be paid what their work is really worth to the owner and the prices at the restaurant should reflect that straight up in black and white.

When I worked in a gas station I would bust my little butt washing windows, left the hood and check fluids and hope I would get a tip.

I worked at a gas station/car wash part of the year when I was in high school. I cleaned the windows, checked the oil, etc. every time. There was no tipping allowed, per owner. I took pride in doing good work.

I take pride in whatever I do regardless whether it is for pay or not.

As well you should.

You take out the incentive to do a good job and the service will follow right behind it.

The incentive should come from the owner. Do a great job and be paid well, do a poor job and be fired. Pretty simple.

The incentive should come from the owner. Do a great job and be paid well, do a poor job and be fired. Pretty simple.

So, how much does the owner cough up to pay the wait staff and where does that come from? Does he raise the price of the meal say from 20.00 to 24.00? Would THAT make you happy? Now the money is guaranteed so the server doesn't have to kiss your ass.

Does not seem like that great of a deal to me.

Why should the owner pay me? I'm not waiting on him.

I would much rather fave a say in how much I leave my server.

By the way - I like tipping. I often will drop my server a ten dollar tip on a ten dollar dinner.

They fight over me. Nice when you're an ugly ass guy like me!

Last edited:

So, how much does the owner cough up to pay the wait staff and where does that come from?

That should be negotiated between the staff and the owner (NOT the customer), and it should come from the prices charged for the fare of the house.

It is a custom there in Japan, idiot. It is not a custom here, dumbshit.

So, how much does the owner cough up to pay the wait staff and where does that come from?

That should be negotiated between the staff and the owner (NOT the customer), and it should come from the prices charged for the fare of the house.

Have you ever worked or owned a restaurant? I have. Most go out of business, and there is not enough money to go around. You should study economics once in awhile. :lol:

Forum List

Back