Here's a tip: Don't

The whole ridiculous practice is one big shakedown, stupid.

Just like you actually having to pay a menu price is a shakedown.

No, paying the marked price is not a shakedown. Paying that and THEN being obligated to cough up more IS a shakedown.

nonsense.... if servers were paid a reasonable wage, you'd pay more for your food.

you might want to look into what a meal costs in japan.

sad....

Japanese restaurants in New York introduce ban on tipping ? Japan Today: Japan News and Discussion

"In Japan, there’s no custom of tipping. In fact, leaving a tip could potentially be considered rude, as the cost of the service is already supposed to be included in the price you pay. My American buddy’s attempt to follow his home custom in Japan ended in the delivery driver apologising profusely for not accepting the tip! In New York City, meanwhile, Japanese restaurants are bringing the no-tipping custom Stateside, as Restaurant Riki becomes the latest Manhattan establishment to ban their customers from tipping."

If only this would become a growing trend. If only...

except restaurant workers are paid $2 and change an hour b/c they get tipped.

So they should be paid what their work is really worth to the owner and the prices at the restaurant should reflect that straight up in black and white.

there is always some poor ijit willing to work for less... that's why there are wage and hour laws.

try again.

I am only talking about tips in restaurants and places where people eat mainly. ^^^

Not about the rest. :)

I got what you were saying ....your post just made me think about that experience..:)

Japanese restaurants in New York introduce ban on tipping ? Japan Today: Japan News and Discussion

"In Japan, there’s no custom of tipping. In fact, leaving a tip could potentially be considered rude, as the cost of the service is already supposed to be included in the price you pay. My American buddy’s attempt to follow his home custom in Japan ended in the delivery driver apologising profusely for not accepting the tip! In New York City, meanwhile, Japanese restaurants are bringing the no-tipping custom Stateside, as Restaurant Riki becomes the latest Manhattan establishment to ban their customers from tipping."

It is a custom there in Japan, idiot. It is not a custom here, dumbshit.

Read the article, moron. Do you ever pay attention, or are you too busy doing 'imagination research' all the time?

So, how much does the owner cough up to pay the wait staff and where does that come from?

That should be negotiated between the staff and the owner (NOT the customer), and it should come from the prices charged for the fare of the house.

Have you ever worked or owned a restaurant? I have. Most go out of business, and there is not enough money to go around. You should study economics once in awhile. :lol:

Are you hooked up to a morphine drip or something? What the hell is wrong with you?

you might want to look into what a meal costs in japan.

No need. I'm very familiar with it. It's somewhat more expensive to eat out, but not as much as some of you patsies defending the shakedown seem to imagine.

there is always some poor ijit willing to work for less... that's why there are wage and hour laws.

And owners would have to adhere to those laws, of course. Anyone willing to work for peanuts probably isn't the cream of the crop, and that restaurant would adapt or fail.

We are arguing with someone who thinks the act of voluntarily leaving a tip is somehow strong arm tactics.

You will not get it through his thick head

Aren't you the guy who has been berating me for your own little imaginary narrative about me not tipping well? Get your (bullshit) stories straight.

It is a custom there in Japan, idiot. It is not a custom here, dumbshit.

Well? Did you read the article? Are you doing some 'imagination research' right now?

We are arguing with someone who thinks the act of voluntarily leaving a tip is somehow strong arm tactics.

Aren't you the guy who has been berating me for your own little imaginary narrative about me not tipping well? Get your (bullshit) stories straight.

Bull, it's you having a problem with doing 4th grade level math that is the problem here.

What you have is, at the very best, a net gain of zero for the employee just so you don't have to do some freaking simple math calculations.

So don't tip, stiff these poor urchins, and walk away like the superior sumo you think you are.

I am now completely bored out of my mind with you.

I suggest getting some Swanson TV dinners and eating alone that way you won't feel strong armed by some college aged kid.

K?

So don't tip, stiff these poor urchins

You're doing it again, imagination-boy.

That should be negotiated between the staff and the owner (NOT the customer), and it should come from the prices charged for the fare of the house.

Have you ever worked or owned a restaurant? I have. Most go out of business, and there is not enough money to go around. You should study economics once in awhile. :lol:

Are you hooked up to a morphine drip or something? What the hell is wrong with you?

No, that's a very good point - restaurants have a notoriously low profit margin. Prices would have to go up quite a bit. Restaurants will have to pay sales tax on it, they will never bite - not under our current tax code.

I suggest getting some Swanson TV dinners and eating alone

Is that what you imagine to be the only alternative to eating out? You sound kinda sad and lonely.

This is a very good thread, I would love it if we could just stay on topic and not do this. ^^^

Other problems with raising the prices are that people who could not afford to leave a tip when it was optional, will now be forced to pay higher prices.

No, that's a very good point - restaurants have a notoriously low profit margin. Prices would have to go up quite a bit. Restaurants will have to pay sales tax on it, they will never bite - not under our current tax code.

You didn't read the article either, huh?

Forum List

Back