Here's a tip: Don't

Both my son and daugher, tips as waitress and waiter have paid a significant portion of their college costs.
Tipping is a great tradition.

What's wrong with putting the right price on the meal instead of us having to poney up more money at the end? I'd rather they were paid a decent wage in the beginning.

It then becomes a gain of zero.

The customer gains an unambiguous understanding of what the goods and services he or she is purchasing cost, without any unnecessary and demeaning song and dance.

I don't mind tipping if it's voluntary.

If it's mandatory, they'll not get my business.

It practically is expected. What happens when you don't tip? Shitty service. People refuse to do the jobs they are paid to do simply because I refuse to line their pockets with money they beg for.

Just pay the poor sods more.

Both my son and daugher, tips as waitress and waiter have paid a significant portion of their college costs.

It's a pain in the ass. Wait staff should just be paid like other workers. Try living in a place with no tipping for a while and you will not be eager to go back to all that nonsense.

Well I've been in both. The problem is, staff that you don't tip... tend to give poorer service, while I have to pay a higher price.

Would I rather pay $25 dollars, and get poor service...

Or pay $20 and if the services is good pay $5 tip, or if the service is bad pay less or nothing more?

Answer... I'd rather pay the lower price, and give a tip based on service.

That's whole point of tipping. If you get good service, you pay the tip. If you get poor service, you don't.

This gives servers the incentive to give good service.

If you eliminate tipping... You are still going to pay the tip.... except now you'll pay it no matter if you get good service or not.

Not true. I work with a heap of casual workers, and if you don't do your job properly, guess what? Your hours get cut. So the incentive to provide good service is always there, because if you don't provide it, you might come to work one day and find that your usual 20 hours per week has been halved.

What's wrong with putting the right price on the meal instead of us having to poney up more money at the end? I'd rather they were paid a decent wage in the beginning.

It then becomes a gain of zero.

The customer gains an unambiguous understanding of what the goods and services he or she is purchasing cost, without any unnecessary and demeaning song and dance.

Most people understand that the menu price does not include the tip.

It's only a mental hardship to those that find math troublesome.

It really is that simple

I would rather pay more for a meal than have to decide how much money I should hand over, and whether the server will be pissed off because they don't feel its enough. And I don't want to get crap service if I refused to tip.

I would rather pay more for a meal than have to decide how much money I should hand over, and whether the server will be pissed off because they don't feel its enough. And I don't want to get crap service if I refused to tip.

And rent, groceries, transportation and on and on and on

Australia's cost of living is much higher than the United States. You may indeed make more per hour, but you are forced to spend more to live because of that very same reason!

It's a net gain of zero.

Australia's cost of living is much higher than the United States. You may indeed make more per hour, but you are forced to spend more to live because of that very same reason!

It's a net gain of zero.

Funny, many of us manage just fine.

It's a net gain of zero.

Funny, the waitress I noted in post #96 and most others I know manage just fine.

It's a net gain of zero.

Funny, the waitress I noted in post #96 and most others I know manage just fine.

Because she has to grovel like some homeless person on the street.

Most people understand that the menu price does not include the tip.

Because of this stupid little performance people have agreed to go through.

Bingo, we have a winner! Key word is AGREED.

See, it really is that simple!

Last edited:

you mean pay restaurant workers a living wage?

ok

Yes, that's exactly what I mean.

Never seen one grovel. Never seen one ask for a tip. Never seen one hold a gun to a customers head.

Where do you get this information?

I'm with you, I have never had waiter or waitress grovel, I enjoy and treat them with respect. Now, some fast food places...they seem disinterested in working or helping. But most of those are entry level jobs.

Never seen one grovel. Never seen one ask for a tip. Never seen one hold a gun to a customers head.

Where do you get this information?

What happens if you refuse to tip because you don't believe in it, and then return to the establishment?

Well that's fine... if you really want to pay more, and then end up with lousy service, that's ok.

Just realize that either way, you are going to pay the tip.

You either pay the tip directly, by paying the tip when you get good service.

Or you pay the tip through higher price, regardless of what service you get.

Me? I'd rather pay the tip only when I get good service, by paying a lower menu price, and paying out the tip directly when I get the service I want.

If you want the other way, there are in fact restaurants that do that. And when you get lousy service, you just get lousy service and sucks to be you. Or me.... because I've done that, and gotten lousy service, while the waiters still got their tip. That sucks. I want them to not get the tip when they perform badly. Under your system, they do.

Forum List

Back