Here's a tip: Don't

Bloody hell.....people have been killed for leaving too little tips.....

just raise the darn price and don't bother the customers!!!

And then you will complain about sucky service.

Then you avoid that establishment. Eventually, the owner will get the message that his waitstaff sucks and do something about it.

As I have mentioned before, the best service in the world is in Japan where there is generally no tipping.

And then you will complain about sucky service.

Then you avoid that establishment. Eventually, the owner will get the message that his waitstaff sucks and do something about it.

As I have mentioned before, the best service in the world is in Japan where there is generally no tipping.

In spite of never having been to Japan - or the Far East, for that matter - I'm assuming there are other reasons that you percieve [customer] service to be better in Japan than elsewhere. Possibly due to there being a less extrovert culture than the West, customary politeness, etc.?

In spite of never having been to Japan - or the Far East, for that matter - I'm assuming there are other reasons that you percieve [customer] service to be better in Japan than elsewhere.

The reason is that service is much, much better by far. Not complicated.

In spite of never having been to Japan - or the Far East, for that matter - I'm assuming there are other reasons that you percieve [customer] service to be better in Japan than elsewhere.

Perception of 'good' service is subjective. Some people would rather be left alone, save for the necessary interaction between host and guest. Some might appreciate their host go out of his or her way to interact with the customer beyond the necessary interaction between host and guest. It may be a bit more complicated that you think. Personally, I'd class myself as being in between. I'm happy for the host to come over and enquire as to whether I'm enjoying myself and/or the food I've been served, and perhaps some brief conversation. But I'd be a little put-off if my wife and I were to be the subject of some impromptu serenade or juggling act. Others may enjoy it. As I said, 'good service' is subjective. So you must have some personal criteria as to what counts as good service.

Last edited:
Tipping is not going to go away here. There are waiters and watresses who work their whole lives at this, it's a career for them. College kids pay their way through school with this money and they don't get it by doing mediocre work, they hustle and work very hard.

An owner isn't going to raise their wages high enough for them to earn any money. Minimum wage maybe. That's it.

If you can't afford 15-20% for a tip, stay home for god's sake.

Perception of 'good' service is subjective. Some people would rather be left alone, save for the necessary interaction between host and guest. Some might appreciate their host go out of his or her way to interact with the customer beyond the necessary interaction between host and guest. It may be a bit more complicated that you think. Personally, I'd class myself as being in between. I'm happy for the host to come over and enquire as to whether I'm enjoying myself and/or the food I've been served, and perhaps some brief conversation. But I'd be a little put-off if my wife and I were to be the subject of some impromptu serenade or juggling act. Others may enjoy it. As I said, 'good service' is subjective. So you must have some personal criteria as to what counts as good service.

When you have some basis upon which to make an informed comment, come back here and let me know what you think of my evaluation.

Tipping is not going to go away here. There are waiters and watresses who work their whole lives at this, it's a career for them. College kids pay their way through school with this money and they don't get it by doing mediocre work, they hustle and work very hard.

Lots (lots!) of people work hard their whole lives, hustle and all that, without this silly and annoying shakedown system.

When you have some basis upon which to make an informed comment, come back here and let me know what you think of my evaluation.

What do you mean by "basis"? The act of eating out?

Lots (lots!) of people work hard their whole lives, hustle and all that, without this silly and annoying shakedown system.

Most really good people get paid what they're worth too. Restaurant/bar owners are notoriously unfair to their employees. It's very hard to get and keep a place like that going and you can trust me on this, they aren't going to pay their people fairly.

Tips aren't going anywhere.

Most really good people get paid what they're worth too.

Most "really good" people don't spend their entire career working as waitstaff. Irrelevant to this discussion.

Did you read the article? They are going somewhere at that particular restaurant. I know that if I was aware of restaurants in my area with such a sensible policy I'd give them my business, and I would eat out more often as a result.

Did you read the article? They are going somewhere at that particular restaurant. I know that if I was aware of restaurants in my area with such a sensible policy I'd give them my business, and I would eat out more often as a result.

Good. I'd rather pay for good food and service and help someone working hard make their lives a little better. Do you have any idea how fast I can spend the $20 I'd give a good waiter? In the blink of an eye.

Good. I'd rather pay for good food and service and help someone working hard make their lives a little better. Do you have any idea how fast I can spend the $20 I'd give a good waiter? In the blink of an eye.

In the same blink you could pay your bill that includes that $20 built in to the cost of the dinner. Don't worry, you can still spend your $20. Or do you get a thrill out of watching the 'little people' grovel for your largess first?

Both my son and daugher, tips as waitress and waiter have paid a significant portion of their college costs.
Tipping is a great tradition.

Tipping is a way of legally underpaying the help.

Herman Cain made sure that wait staff would never be able to make a decent living.

It is just an attempt to enforce equality in a system that rewards individuals according to their talents.
More redistribution in favor of the folks who suck at accomplishing the tips on their merit.

So, my beautiful trophy wife and I went out to eat tonight. The waitress was delightful and the food was very good.

So just for fun I asked her if the minimum wage was raised to $15 per hour, would she keep her job and work for that?

Her answer was that she would be taking a pretty good pay cut and she would just go work at mcdonalds where she wouldn't have to work as hard.

I laughed and thanked her.

In the same blink you could pay your bill that includes that $20 built in to the cost of the dinner. Don't worry, you can still spend your $20. Or do you get a thrill out of watching the 'little people' grovel for your largess first?

What I'm saying is that if you include that money in the cost of a meal, the servers will not see much of it at all. They will be making minimum wage and that's it.

Do you get a thrill of letting these hard workers serve you for nothing? Cheapskate.

And those that do not switch to the no tip method will thrive while the others will stagnate and fail.

In the United States tipping is an incentive to provide good service and up sell. That won't happen where tips are not expected.

That is a good point! I like the tip system, on those rare occasions I eat out I want the experience to be special. There is an expectation from wait staff for be compensated for a job well done thereby providing the service prior to payment.

Too bad i am such a cheap bastard that i can hear the eagle scream before i let go of a coin....:lol:

What I mean is that instead of forcing the customer at the end of a meal to give the infamous tip then and there....that same tip will be included in the price and will be given to the person at the end of the day.

That way you don't have to see their hungry, expecting, greedy eyes all over ya'....that is what I find in bad taste....it gives me indigestion.

I do not feel greedy eyes in as much as I do experience fine service. All the parties know the score: Good service is rewarded, bad service is not. When I worked in a gas station I would bust my little butt washing windows, left the hood and check fluids and hope I would get a tip. I remember one day making $40, for a kid that not bad. I watch for those who go the extra step and reward that action. It makes a difference.

I am only talking about tips in restaurants and places where people eat mainly. ^^^

Not about the rest. :)

That is a good point! I like the tip system, on those rare occasions I eat out I want the experience to be special. There is an expectation from wait staff for be compensated for a job well done thereby providing the service prior to payment.

Too bad i am such a cheap bastard that i can hear the eagle scream before i let go of a coin....:lol:

What I mean is that instead of forcing the customer at the end of a meal to give the infamous tip then and there....that same tip will be included in the price and will be given to the person at the end of the day.

That way you don't have to see their hungry, expecting, greedy eyes all over ya'....that is what I find in bad taste....it gives me indigestion.

I do not feel greedy eyes in as much as I do experience fine service. All the parties know the score: Good service is rewarded, bad service is not. When I worked in a gas station I would bust my little butt washing windows, left the hood and check fluids and hope I would get a tip. I remember one day making $40, for a kid that not bad. I watch for those who go the extra step and reward that action. It makes a difference.

They did used to tip for service at gas stations now that you mention it. Look at what has happened to wages since that stopped happening. They all make minimum wage and there is like one employee per shift behind the counter doing cashier work. Service is no longer at service stations.

Forum List

Back