Hi! I've no idea what I'm doing!

JohnL.Burke

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2013
Greetings! Even though I've used this computer thingy for awhile I still consider myself a technological novice. I still have a landline! I look forward to fun debates and an exchanging of ideas. I am rather passionate about political views but I try not to take myself too seriously. Let's see... what else... Uhmmmm.... except for my occasional bouts of depression, existential angst and urges to cut myself I'm a very happy gregarious wood nymph. As I pirouette from branch to branch, only clad in rainbow and dew, I look forward to getting to know you all. I should also point out that I have a white seething hatred of pineapple pizza and polyester. I have a cat named Mycroft and I love old horror movies. Politically? I tend to lean conservative although I find myself cursing a pox on both sides of the isle, often. Hope I haven't scared off too many people yet. My sense of humor is a tad bizarre but I blame the sequester for that.

Last edited:
Welcome to USMB, JohnL.Burke. Hope you enjoy the boards. I just hope you know enough to remember your password and get back here and join in the fracas. It's a board with some wonderful members on both sides.

Greetings! Even though I've used this computer thingy for awhile I still consider myself a technological novice. I still have a landline! I look forward to fun debates and an exchanging of ideas. I am rather passionate about political views but I try not to take myself too seriously. Let's see... what else... Uhmmmm.... except for my occasional bouts of depression, existential angst and urges to cut myself I'm a very happy gregarious wood nymph. As I pirouette from branch to branch, only clad in rainbow and dew, I look forward to getting to know you all. I should also point out that I have a white seething hatred of pineapple pizza and polyester. I have a cat named Mycroft and I love old horror movies. Politically? I tend to lean conservative although I find myself cursing a pox on both sides of the isle, often. Hope I haven't scared off too many people yet. My sense of humor is a tad bizarre but I blame the sequester for that.

What a writer! :lol: The picture I got when reading this was hilarious; I like your long list of alliteration. Welcome. p.s. Don't jump off any bridges but I thought dial-up was extinct!

Now....John Burke.........where do I know that name from...................? :lol:

Last edited:

If you're an old fart like me, the image of you pirouetting from branch to branch only clad in rainbow and dew is one I can live without, and indeed prefer to live without. In fact, even if you're young and attractive your screen name indicates that you are probably male (although one cannot tell on this or any other forum) and moi, also being male, the image is … to put it delicately, less that exciting. I mean there is nothing wrong with guys who want to linger on that image. I just don't ride on that train.

Nonetheless and nonethemore (???) I welcome you with a thank you and a rep.

Welcome to the wonderful world of those who don't know what they're doing.

Love your sense of humor !!!

Last edited:

Get. OUT!! I still have a landline! :beer:

Welcome to the machine!

Welcome to the machine!

What's a "landline?"

What you are doing is opening yourself up to a heck of a lot of abuse no matter what your politcal point of view is. My suggestion if you can't handle the abuse is to run like hell. I should have, but I welcome you to our little hell hole anyway for as long as you want to stay.

Greetings JLB

Immie

Welcome to the machine!

What's a "landline?"

Antiquated artifact from the last century. lol

I have a land line too, lol. AND...I know how to use a telephone booth...AND I know how to drive a column stick shift vehicle!!! And no, I do NOT have a cell phone!!!

Welcome John. Loved your opening post. Hope you stick around.

Those of us with land lines are thankful there is no longer a party line. Remember that?? Shudder.

Those of us with land lines are thankful there is no longer a party line. Remember that?? Shudder.

Don't have personal experience with that but I sure do miss these phones:

d4bc70d15c5afe627a0e2883d8668879.jpg

Ours looked like this. HEAVY as all get out, too.

Telephone%20-%20Home%201950's_md.jpg

I remember the phone number way back then, too.

9188. Then we got all tech, and they gave us 3 extra digits. So it was 725-9188. Then area codes came into being. THREE MORE digits. 805-725-9188. This was back...oh..in the 60's?
At first we had a party line..meaning everyone else and their uncle shared the same line. Did I listen in to conversations? Yup. I was a kid. And nosey. lol.

Last edited:
I just wanted to thank everybody for their kind hellos. If I haven't responded to anybody or seemed to be ignoring anybody I assure you it's not on purpose. I'm still learning the layout of this site. I'm more of a trial by error kind of guy as opposed to a reading directions kind of guy. Directions are for stoopid peeples. I've even gotten some "reputations". I'm not sure what that is in this sites context but I hope it's a good thing.
I used to be on the CLASSMATES.COM political forum but they closed it down. As I sat homeless in the rain, hungry and depressed, a slight urchin selling matches on the corner with nary a schilling to my name and without a forum to vent my horribly misguided views, I stumbled on this site! Yea! It got so bad that I started spewing my hyperbolic meanderings on Facebook and lost half my computer buddies.
Did I mention that I have a landline? LOL! As if that weren't bad enough, my computer is a tad ancient. It burns way too much coal. After I scrape off all the white out from my computer screen I look forward to lots of impassioned ad hominem.
Being a conservative I am expecting lots of attacks on my character. It is only time that I will eventually be called a Nazi, Tea Bagger, Sexist, xenophobic and puppy rapist. To be honest with ya. I can't wait! These conversations remind me of Thanksgiving dinner at my house. Every time I'm called a gun toting cretin I get homesick.
Thanks again for the greetings!

Last edited:
I have a landline also!! LOL And I remember rotary phones from when I was a kid playing with them.

I gotta get a better cell phone though.

Forum List

Back