Hi

Welcome, GS. My thanks to your son for his service.

You're going to hear a lot of bullshit about the military here. Pay it no mind.
Thanking others for their service is a nice way of saying better you than me.

What mothers of prospective soldiers need to do is talk with mothers of sons who have been killed or maimed in Iraq or Afghanistan (or Vietnam) and ask them what it was for.

Nope, my family are all military. I am exceptionally proud of each and every one of them. And, for the record, those who wait for our loved ones to come back, pay a significant price too.

Thanks everyone.

I know what you mean. America needs a strong presence and I've always been grateful to those who served. My kids have watched me thank veterans all their lives and I'm afraid that might be part of why he thinks it's the right thing to do. I asked him to watch "Endgames" with me and he made it through a little of it. He's determined to go. So I'm trying to applaud him if I can't stop him. We talked about how he would feel if our military gets turned on our citizens, about how Obama just passed something to get foreigners into service (is that right? I heard it in passing and can't believe it) because with foreigners it would be easier to enforce martial law.

I have ALWAYS been patriotic and 40 years ago I would have been overwhelmed with pride, but today's so-called government looks so dubious to me.

If my worst fears are realized, maybe then a handful of men like my son will have the courage to fight for America...dare I say this...regardless of his orders.

How can I possibly write that, it's polar opposite to what being a Marine is all about, isn't it?

I am so torn.

There are foreigners serving in the US military today and they have been for several years. About 5% of all recruits are foreigners (non-US citizens). By joining they earn the right to gain US citizenship.

I cannot visualize … well I was going to say I cannot visualize US troops being used against US citizens and then I had a vision of 1967 with Detroit burning and US Army troops in the streets … and I realized that it has happened before and can happen again.

But I do not think American troops would ever lift arms against our elected civilian government.

Thanks. Your post inspired me to try to find it and I think I must have seen it on that "Endgames" video that talked a lot about the Bilderburg meetings. (shudder)

While I was looking though, I saw a man on a different forum with this tagline, lol, this is what I was thinking when I wrote about courage:

"America is not at war.
The Marines are at war, America is at the mall."

SO true. And I'm guilty as charged.

It should read:
"America is not at war,
the military and their families are at war, America is at the mall."

We see the war on CNN, MSNBC, Fox news but Americans have a short attention span. As the wars drug on we turned our attention to Lady Gaga, Football, and the economy. There for awhile the national media covered the casualties returning but lately I have not really seen much. The local media covers it when a local soldier dies but the national media has moved on and Americans, to me anyway, seemed to be led by the national media. Here in my hometown we had a soldier who died in Afghanistan a couple of months ago and when the funeral procession moved through town the streets were lined with people with American flags showing their respect. Of course I am in a part of the country where patriotism has always existed, even during Vietnam. We mourn our fellow citizens when they fall and celebrate when they return to us. Many of our friends and neighbors have gone and returned. Thankfully few have been harmed or killed but to all of us they are all hero's for putting their lives on the line to protect us and protect our country. For that we are thankful.

Last edited:
hi, I just joined this forum today too. Don't worry about your son he is doing a nice thing, and you too for being his mom. i'm only a sophmorebut i think about being in the army or marines. I know you have to be really good to be a marine. I hope he's ok and tell him thanks from me, and thank you to. Don't worry, everything will be O K.

I'm also a military mom so I completely understand your feelings. Be proud of him and his willingness to serve. Give him my thanks - and, no - I don't think it's better him than me.

Count is right - you will be so proud of him at graduation from boot camp. Your "skinny little lad" will be all bulked up and muscular ... and may even put on a couple of inches of height by the time he's out of boot camp. My "skinny little lad" certainly was!

Welcome, GS. My thanks to your son for his service.

You're going to hear a lot of bullshit about the military here. Pay it no mind.
Thanking others for their service is a nice way of saying better you than me.

What mothers of prospective soldiers need to do is talk with mothers of sons who have been killed or maimed in Iraq or Afghanistan (or Vietnam) and ask them what it was for.

Nope, my family are all military. I am exceptionally proud of each and every one of them. And, for the record, those who wait for our loved ones to come back, pay a significant price too.

Thanks and I'll have to find that forum, I didn't know that. And you're right, especially moms and dads and siblings of those who sacrificed everything...I can't imagine how tough that must be.

hi, I just joined this forum today too. Don't worry about your son he is doing a nice thing, and you too for being his mom. i'm only a sophmorebut i think about being in the army or marines. I know you have to be really good to be a marine. I hope he's ok and tell him thanks from me, and thank you to. Don't worry, everything will be O K.

Thanks eagleboy. That's what I keep reminding myself. Nothing will happen to my son that God doesn't allow, just gotta trust Him, even if we go through troubled times, because of Him everything will be all right.

You said you have to be really good to be a marine. That's another thing I have to figure out. What happens when they don't make it? I know they still own him for four years right? Or could he just leave.

Oh wait! I think they did just leave in "An Officer and a Gentleman" right? Wow. If he can try and choose not to continue, that would ROCK!

I'm also a military mom so I completely understand your feelings. Be proud of him and his willingness to serve. Give him my thanks - and, no - I don't think it's better him than me.

Count is right - you will be so proud of him at graduation from boot camp. Your "skinny little lad" will be all bulked up and muscular ... and may even put on a couple of inches of height by the time he's out of boot camp. My "skinny little lad" certainly was!

THANKS Granny! "cept he's already 6'2, just needs to fill out more...wow I just realized, in my mind he will never fill out enough for bullets.

I'm already so proud of him though. Have been his whole life. In fact if I have any flaws in parenting, it's that I didn't discipline them enough because I've always been so amazed by them. Praise God for them all the time. But thanks, I don't think I could contain myself at the site of his graduating and in a uniform?

All I know is what I see in the movies, I'll have to check out the forum for military moms. That sounds so great.

THANKS Granny! "cept he's already 6'2, just needs to fill out more...wow I just realized, in my mind he will never fill out enough for bullets.

I'm already so proud of him though. Have been his whole life. In fact if I have any flaws in parenting, it's that I didn't discipline them enough because I've always been so amazed by them. Praise God for them all the time. But thanks, I don't think I could contain myself at the site of his graduating and in a uniform?

All I know is what I see in the movies, I'll have to check out the forum for military moms. That sounds so great.

Trust me - in the 8 weeks or so of boot camp - your son will mature by about 3 years. It might be good if you stay in touch with your son's recruiter - the recruiters where my son signed up treated me like gold. My son would say something to me about boot camp, my heart would jump into my throat, and I'd go truckin' on over to the recruiting station. There was one recruiter who had been a drill sergeant and he answered any questions I had about why thus-and-so was being done in boot camp. The reasons were explained to me and made very good sense. Boot camp became less and less alarming to me as time passed.

Thanks eagleboy. That's what I keep reminding myself. Nothing will happen to my son that God doesn't allow, just gotta trust Him, even if we go through troubled times, because of Him everything will be all right.

You said you have to be really good to be a marine. That's another thing I have to figure out. What happens when they don't make it? I know they still own him for four years right? Or could he just leave.

Oh wait! I think they did just leave in "An Officer and a Gentleman" right? Wow. If he can try and choose not to continue, that would ROCK!
Why don't you just leave the kid alone! :eusa_hand:

He is old enough to be a man and take care of himself.

He will just have to figure it out all by his lonesome .

And doesn't need your input. :cool:

I'm a mom with questions about her son. That's not input, that's questions.

Didn't your mom ask any questions when you joined Sunni scouts?

Trust me - in the 8 weeks or so of boot camp - your son will mature by about 3 years. It might be good if you stay in touch with your son's recruiter - the recruiters where my son signed up treated me like gold. My son would say something to me about boot camp, my heart would jump into my throat, and I'd go truckin' on over to the recruiting station. There was one recruiter who had been a drill sergeant and he answered any questions I had about why thus-and-so was being done in boot camp. The reasons were explained to me and made very good sense. Boot camp became less and less alarming to me as time passed.

Granny, you're probably a wealth of information. Can you tell me about one of those times? What surprised you the most of what he told you about it? I'm fascinated.

Nope

I was drafted into the Army at age 19

The morning I was to be inducted.

I hugged my mother and said goodbye.

My father drove me to the buss station. Shook my hand and said goodbye.

That was basically the start of my adult life.

Last edited:

Granny, you're probably a wealth of information. Can you tell me about one of those times? What surprised you the most of what he told you about it? I'm fascinated.

Oh, my God!! You're talking about some 18 years ago!! I really can't remember a specific question at this point - but I do remember the gist of the answer - "We do that because it's a psychological exercise ..." The answer made perfect sense to me.

My son likes history and has been a lot of places that I will never see and has made a lot of side trips and good use of his camera along the way - boot camp at Fort McClellan, AL; more training at Ft. Polk, LA; and dog handler school at some place in Texas; Egypt - early Egyptians were apparently very short - he had to practically crawl in the pyramids; Seoul, South Korea - but also went to the line of demarcation at the border with North Korea; Ft. Sill, OK; Ft. McPherson & Ft. Gillem at Atlanta, GA, where he met his lovely (non-military) wife; Germany; learned to ski in Austria; France; Belgium; England; Scotland; 3 years in Italy where he met with blood relatives - known and unknown; Monaco - which he said it is absolutely beautiful; Iraq; and now at Ft. Hood, NY with about 2 more years to retirement. There may be more places - those are just off the top of my head.

He said he's not in the Army he signed up for - too many civilians interfering now.

Thanks Granny! But what do you mean by too many civilians interfering now? Is that politically or something?

And 18 years ago is nothing to a protective mom, I bet you remember a ton. Ha, I remember well some of the battles I got into when my kids were toddlers, that's about 18 years ago. Criminey we've had to change a lot as they got older.

Now my son is enlisting promises from all his brothers that they wont' let me fly over to Afghanistan if he ends up there and goes missing. hahahahahahaha could there be a worse threat to a potential Marine than the thought of mom coming over to rescue him?

I had to revise my plans to hiring mercenaries. :lol:

Nope

I was drafted into the Army at age 19

The morning I was to be inducted.

I hugged my mother and said goodbye.

My father drove me to the buss station. Shook my hand and said goodbye.

That was basically the start of my adult life.

Now THAT had to be a killer scene. And if your mom wasn't a blubbering pile of jelly, it's because she kept it inside.

I hate brave fronts.

Thank you Sunni Man for serving our country!

Hello. I'm a freaked out mom because my son is joining the marines, so I was surfing the net looking for information about it and this site came up.

I have so much to learn. Not sure how I feel about any of it.

I'm proud but also freaked that my kid will be in a unit at Obama's whim.

I would have said disposal but I'm just too sick about it.

Hi Gentle Storm. I just joined, and when I saw your post, I had to reply. I was in your shoes 4 yrs ago. My son also joined the Marines, right after graduation from HS. I'm still figuring out this quote thing, but I think you said something about worrying that he would be one of the youngest. Most of the recruits are straight out of HS, and will be the same age as your son. I was also freaked out, but that was what he had wanted for a few yrs, so it wasn't a surprise. My son did boot at Parris Island, came home on leave for 10 days, then had 8 wks of infantry training at Camp Geiger in NC, ( he was a grunt) then was flown to Hawaii where he spent the rest of his 4 yrs active duty, minus two 7 mo. deployments to Iraq.

One thing I learned early on, and that was I no longer had any control (for lack of a better word) on my son's life, once he signed those papers. That was brought home by a phone call from the recuiter, when he said from now on, they would act in all matters requiring my son's attention. I know alot of people say they are men (at age 18), but they are very young men, and they are still our babies. I still get emotional thinking about that time, and understand your questions.

As far as "quitting", unless things have really changed, they are not allowed to quit. Some were sent home because of health issues, or injuries, but not because they changed their minds. At that time in boot, there were no phone calls, only letters allowed, part of cutting the apron strings, I believe. Your son will grow alot, and be proud of his accomplishments, and if at all possible, please go to his graduation. He needs the support, and to know his family is behind his decision, and it will be a day you will never forget.

I'm not allowed to post links , but if you google Marine parents, you will find a very good board that will help you with any questions you may have, from boot to the fleet, and deployments. Lots of people there to share with, on good days, and bad. I practically lived on this board the first few yrs, and it made it easier making it through that time. Hope that helps some.

Thank your son for me . I am proud of him also.

Forum List

Back