Hidden truths behind Mormonism and the Church of the Latter Day

1) It's the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It seems odd that you want to leave Jesus Christ out of the name of the Church. Usually only done by those who want to falsely claim we don't believe in Christ. Are you one of those?

If the Mormon Church is the most correct church on earth then why would Joseph Smith try to join Methodism?

In June 1828 Joseph Smith, Jr., the founder of Mormonism, joined the Methodist Church [probationary class] in Harmony, Pennsylvania. This was a strange thing for this prophet of a new religion to do, and seriously challenges the story he put out ten years later about the origin of his work.

The Mormon Prophet Attempts to Join the Methodists by Wesley P. Walters

If Mormonism says that the Bible is only true insofar as it is correctly translated then you are just applying a name to a religion when it's Christianity has been taken away.

1) He never actually joined the Methodist Church. though he openly said he had been drawn towards Methodists at the time. Considering the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints wasn't organized yet, I see nothing wrong with going to a class at another Church. In fact, I still don't see a problem studying the scriptures with people of another Church.

2) Are you suggesting the Bible is true when it's translated incorrectly? Is the Jehovah's witness Bible true despite it being radically different? Of course it's only true insofar as it's translated correctly. Seems rather self evident to me. How could believing the Bible when it's correctly translated take it's Christianity away?

the morman church so believed their founder and his revelations that they changed the religion when it ran up against the rest of the worlds thoughts.

So a Church that believes in ongoing revelation is somehow bad because we recieve ongoing revelation?

the morman faith started out all messed up.

so they changed a bunch of things.

does that mean they admit is was NOT the one true religion in the world.

remember only ONE religion can be correct

All messed up eh?

Have you read the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine & Covenants, or Pearl of Great Price?

Have you even read the Bible?

Do you understand that God can reveal His will as He chooses?

He can give us more revelation as He feels we need it. Or as we seek it.

Only one religion is correct. But simply because God commands Noah to build an Ark and Moses and the Israelites not to build an ark, but to follow the law of Moses, doesn't mean they are different faiths, or that God didn't command both.

The answer is simple: LDS can argue that the church is evolving, God does it in His way, and such requires a prophet in this day and age

Now, I don't agree with Mormonism, but you guys are going to have to do far better than the above.

all religions claim to be the ONE true answer.

That means all BUT ONE are WRONG.

think about that

Why do we need to think about it? It's pretty obvious. You are wrong though. It means either either one is correct or none are correct.

Which is precisely why it's vital we seek God to find out from Him where His doctrine is taught in it's purity.

or EVERY SINGLE ONE is nothing but myth man created to try and understand a world that they knew so little about.

Now we know things and can figure things out much better huh?

the myths are outliving their human need.

what then?

All messed up eh?

Have you read the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine & Covenants, or Pearl of Great Price?

Only one religion is correct. But simply because God commands Noah to build an Ark and Moses and the Israelites not to build an ark, but to follow the law of Moses, doesn't mean they are different faiths, or that God didn't command both.

why did your religion change so many things that its founder said were truth?

they did that because the Myths were going to make it so the religion would be buried and dead before long.

which means your not the one true religion right off the bat huh?

heres a concession thought.

they are all myth

1) It's the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It seems odd that you want to leave Jesus Christ out of the name of the Church. Usually only done by those who want to falsely claim we don't believe in Christ. Are you one of those?

If the Mormon Church is the most correct church on earth then why would Joseph Smith try to join Methodism?

In June 1828 Joseph Smith, Jr., the founder of Mormonism, joined the Methodist Church [probationary class] in Harmony, Pennsylvania. This was a strange thing for this prophet of a new religion to do, and seriously challenges the story he put out ten years later about the origin of his work.

If Mormonism says that the Bible is only true insofar as it is correctly translated then you are just applying a name to a religion when it's Christianity has been taken away.

1) He never actually joined the Methodist Church. though he openly said he had been drawn towards Methodists at the time. Considering the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints wasn't organized yet, I see nothing wrong with going to a class at another Church. In fact, I still don't see a problem studying the scriptures with people of another Church.

2) Are you suggesting the Bible is true when it's translated incorrectly? Is the Jehovah's witness Bible true despite it being radically different? Of course it's only true insofar as it's translated correctly. Seems rather self evident to me. How could believing the Bible when it's correctly translated take it's Christianity away?

According to Methodist records, Joseph Smith became a member.

I, with Joshua McKune, a local preacher at that time, I think in June, 1828, heard on Saturday, that Joe Smith had joined the church on Wednesday afternoon, (as it was customary in those days to have circuit preaching at my father's house on week-day). We thought it was a disgrace to the church to have a practicing necromancer, a dealer in enchantments and bleeding ghosts, in it. So on Sunday we went to father's, the place of meeting that day, and got there in season to see Smith and talked with him some time in father's shop before the meeting. Told him that his occupation, habits, and moral character were at variance with the discipline, that his name would be a disgrace to the church, that there should have been recantation, confession and at least promised reformation-. That he could that day publicly ask that his name be stricken from the class book, or stand an investigation. He chose the former, and did that very day make the request that his name be taken off the class book. (The Amboy Journal, June 11, 1879, p.1).
Like so many of the early Methodist records, the early class books of the Harmony (now Lanesboro) Church are lost, so we will never know for certain whether Joseph Smith remained a member for only three days or six months. However, there was never any dispute that he had become a member, and by this one act he undercut the story he later put forth that God in a special vision had instructed him specifically not to join the Methodist Church.

-Ibid.

Joseph Smith was basically singled out.

All messed up eh?

Because the central doctrine of my religion is the belief in ongoing revelation. Where God gives us more information and corrects incorrect notions we may have previously had.

Why don't you answer any of my questions?

they did that because the Myths were going to make it so the religion would be buried and dead before long.

which means your not the one true religion right off the bat huh?

heres a concession thought.

they are all myth

You realize that you're just rambling right here and haven't really provided anything of substance to the conversation with this post, right?

According to Methodist records, Joseph Smith became a member.

I, with Joshua McKune, a local preacher at that time, I think in June, 1828, heard on Saturday, that Joe Smith had joined the church on Wednesday afternoon, (as it was customary in those days to have circuit preaching at my father's house on week-day). We thought it was a disgrace to the church to have a practicing necromancer, a dealer in enchantments and bleeding ghosts, in it. So on Sunday we went to father's, the place of meeting that day, and got there in season to see Smith and talked with him some time in father's shop before the meeting. Told him that his occupation, habits, and moral character were at variance with the discipline, that his name would be a disgrace to the church, that there should have been recantation, confession and at least promised reformation-. That he could that day publicly ask that his name be stricken from the class book, or stand an investigation. He chose the former, and did that very day make the request that his name be taken off the class book. (The Amboy Journal, June 11, 1879, p.1).
Like so many of the early Methodist records, the early class books of the Harmony (now Lanesboro) Church are lost, so we will never know for certain whether Joseph Smith remained a member for only three days or six months. However, there was never any dispute that he had become a member, and by this one act he undercut the story he later put forth that God in a special vision had instructed him specifically not to join the Methodist Church.

-Ibid.

Joseph Smith was basically singled out.

Joseph Smith's First Vision/Joseph Smith joined other churches - FairMormon

Feel free to read it. again addressed decades ago.

So unless you want to believe you can become a member of a methodist church for 3 days, when you refuse to comply with their requirements, I don't think you have much of a case.

Personally, Im weary of accounts 50 years after the events when contemperary documents show otherwise.

But let's hypothetically say Joseph did try to join. So what? Does that indicate he is not a prophet?

The Apostle Peter literally denied Christ three times. Did that invalidate His call to the ministry or did it ultimately lead him to fulfill his call with that much more zeal?

People make mistakes. We should all be aware that God commands us to do things we fail to do. That doesn't mean we have forfeited the call He has given us.

I would also note that it's indisputeable that this was the period after he started translating the Book of Mormon. It's also indisputeable that many of the early converts to the Church came from members introducing themselves to already existing churches. If there was an association, it seems just as likely it was an attempt to prepare people for what was coming.

But ultimately, this doesn't matter. What matters is the Book of Mormon what it claims to be? And the only way to find that out is to ask God as the Book of Mormon instructs.

Because the central doctrine of my religion is the belief in ongoing revelation. Where God gives us more information and corrects incorrect notions we may have previously had.

Why trust someone at all who can't get it right?

I made a friend who was basically a con artist through part of this person's life. Agreements and everything kept changing.

It is also the test of a false prophet. A true prophet has to be 100% correct.

Ephesians 4:14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

kybeia

Pronunciation
kü-bā'-ä (Key)

Part of Speech
feminine noun

Root Word (Etymology)
From kubos (a "cube", i.e. die for playing)

Dictionary Aids

Vine's Expository Dictionary: View Entry

Outline of Biblical Usage

I.dice playing

II.metaph. the deception of men, because dice players sometimes cheated and defrauded their fellow players

Greek Lexicon :: G2940 (KJV)

They want to get you wandering around because if you don't know what is true then they have you.

So we should disregard the NT because God couldn't get it right with Moses?

Or do we just accept that God reveals more as He will, that He requires men to do things at different times and that is precisely why He teaches that the heavens are always open for those with faith who seek His guidence?

I made a friend who was basically a con artist through part of this person's life. Agreements and everything kept changing.

It is also the test of a false prophet. A true prophet has to be 100% correct.

Ephesians 4:14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

kybeia

Pronunciation
kü-bā'-ä (Key)

Part of Speech
feminine noun

Root Word (Etymology)
From kubos (a "cube", i.e. die for playing)

Dictionary Aids

Vine's Expository Dictionary: View Entry

Outline of Biblical Usage

I.dice playing

II.metaph. the deception of men, because dice players sometimes cheated and defrauded their fellow players

Greek Lexicon :: G2940 (KJV)

They want to get you wandering around because if you don't know what is true then they have you.

I think that's precisely why people argue against going to God for knowledge. Study the scriptures and ask Him. You can know for yourself that they are true.

All messed up eh?

We have a Prophet of God leading us. God commands change the Prophet does it. Pretty simple concept.

So we should disregard the NT because God couldn't get it right with Moses?

Or do we just accept that God reveals more as He will, that He requires men to do things at different times and that is precisely why He teaches that the heavens are always open for those with faith who seek His guidence?

God got it right with Moses. Moses was judged for not getting it right. When we start making disobedience the norm, you don't get the promise which was what?

Numbers 20:8 Take the rod, and gather thou the assembly together, thou, and Aaron thy brother, and speak ye unto the rock before their eyes; and it shall give forth his water, and thou shalt bring forth to them water out of the rock: so thou shalt give the congregation and their beasts drink.

Before this, God told Moses to strike the rock. Numbers 20:8 is the second command which is speak to the rock.

Numbers 20:11 And Moses lifted up his hand, and with his rod he smote the rock twice: and the water came out abundantly, and the congregation drank, and their beasts also.

Moses was angry and smote the rock. What happened? Moses misrepresented God. Moses ruined a type of Christ. Christ was only smitten once but Moses smote God twice because the rock is Jesus (1 Cor. 10:1-4). Moses ruined the symbolism.

Numbers 20:12 ¶ And the LORD spake unto Moses and Aaron, Because ye believed me not, to sanctify me in the eyes of the children of Israel, therefore ye shall not bring this congregation into the land which I have given them.

The punishment for false prophecy is not to receive the promise. They didn't enter into the land which God promised them.

If you want a theology of making mistakes then you aren't on track and will get the judgments instead because it isn't even close and if I have to listen to what is false then why shouldn't I listen to every other false prophet who gets some things wrong?

Acts 7:37 ¶ This is that Moses, which said unto the children of Israel, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear.

The Mormon church does not even have a prophet like unto Moses because Moses was near perfect and got mostly everything else right.

Forum List

Back