HIPAA laws

MaryL

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2011
HIPAA laws just magically go away because of Chinese manipulated flu variant? Novel corona-covid 19 is as deadly as the flu, My personal health record is NOBODIES business and this government mandated Covid health passport is unconstitutional by any stretch of the imagination.

HIPAA laws just magically go away because of Chinese manipulated flu variant? Novel corona-covid 19 is as deadly as the flu, My personal health record is NOBODIES business and this government mandated Covid health passport is unconstitutional by any stretch of the imagination.
If saying things only made them true.....

You might want to actually read who HIPPA applies to before dying on that mountain.

You don't know what you are talking about, but that's nothing new.

Notice of Data Breach

On Sept. 16, 2021, the Alaska Department of Health and Social Services (DHSS) notified Alaskans via a press release and a notice on our website, dhss.alaska.gov, that a security breach of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and the Alaska Personal Information Protection Act (APIPA) had occurred due to a highly sophisticated cyberattack. This cyberattack to the DHSS website was first detected in May 2021.

Cyberattack History

On May 5, 2021, the State of Alaska Security Office notified DHSS, through proactive surveillance, of a cyberattack that involved unauthorized access to a DHSS computer system. Following the attack, DHSS engaged cybersecurity expert FireEye Mandiant (Mandiant) to help analyze the attack, contain it, remove the attacker from our website, and provide guidance to harden and recover our systems.

What Information Was Involved

As part of its response, DHSS shut down systems supporting numerous services to protect individuals’ information and to deny the attacker further access. Before DHSS implemented the shutdown, the attackers potentially had access to the following types of individuals’ information:

• Full names
  • Dates of birth
  • Social Security numbers
  • Addresses
  • Telephone numbers
  • Driver’s license numbers
  • Internal identifying numbers (case reports, protected service reports, Medicaid, etc.)
  • Health information
  • Financial information
  • Historical information concerning individuals’ interaction with DHSS

What We Are Doing

DHSS remains focused on the best interests of Alaskans. You trust us with your important health information, and we take that responsibility very seriously. DHSS is continuing to implement measures to protect Alaskans’ information, including:

• Further strengthening of our systems to deter future incidents
  • Continuing to work with law enforcement
  • Offering cybersecurity protection services to our customers, such as identity theft and fraud protection insurance

In addition, we are offering identity theft protection services through IDX, the nation’s leading data breach and recovery services expert. IDX identity protection services include: 12 months of credit and CyberScan monitoring, a $1,000,000 insurance reimbursement policy, and fully managed ID theft recovery services. With this protection, IDX will help you resolve issues if your identity is compromised.

What You Can Do

We encourage you to contact IDX with any questions and to enroll in the free identity protection services by calling (833) 513-2608 or going to Alaska Department of Health and Social Services and using the Enrollment Code provided below. IDX representatives are available Monday through Friday from 5 am - 5 pm Alaska Time. Please note the deadline to enroll is December 28, 2021.

Enrollment Code: XXXXXXXXXX

Again, while at this time Mandiant has found no evidence that your information has been stolen. However, given the capabilities of the nation-state attacker and scope of access they had, we encourage you to take full advantage of this service offering. IDX representatives have been fully versed on the incident and can answer questions or concerns you may have regarding protection of your personal information.

For More Information

For more information about how to avoid identity theft, please visit the U.S. Federal Trade Commission’s website at: identitytheft.gov.

Please call (833) 513-2608 or go to Alaska Department of Health and Social Services for assistance or for any additional questions you may have.

We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience. The Alaska Department of Health and Social Services is committed to providing service with excellence, which includes protecting your personal information.

Sincerely,
Adam Crum
Commissioner
Alaska Department of Health and Social Services

IDX, 10300 SW Greenburg Road Suite 570, Portland, OR, 97223 US
Privacy Policy

If saying things only made them true.....

You might want to actually read who HIPPA applies to before dying on that mountain.

Wrong.
HIPAA laws do prevent your health info from being released without your knowledge and consent.

Wrong.
HIPAA laws do prevent your health info from being released without your knowledge and consent.

HIPPA applies to health plans, health care clearinghouses, and health care providers and their respective contractors/employees. It does not apply to airlines who can require proof of vaccination to board.

Wrong.
Only in specific situations. It is supposed to prevent medical providers who have your medical records because they provided a medical service to you from releasing those records without your permission. Anybody can ask any medical question they want to ask, and can release any information they might have unless they are a medical provider that is regulated by hipaa

HIPPA applies to health plans, health care clearinghouses, and health care providers and their respective contractors/employees. It does not apply to airlines who can require proof of vaccination to board.

HIPAA (you spelled it wrong, common mistake), does apply to everyone.
The airlines does not have your medical info, but if you give it to them, they had better be bound by HIPAA and not pass it around.
But airlines do have the right to demand to know if you are a medical threat.
However, a vaccine history does NOTHING to determine if you are a medical threat or not.
Viral loading is the same whether or not vaccinated, if you are infected.

Only in specific situations. It is supposed to prevent medical providers who have your medical records because they provided a medical service to you from releasing those records without your permission. Anybody can ask any medical question they want to ask, and can release any information they might have unless they are a medical provider that is regulated by hipaa

Wrong.
You said anyone can ask any medical question they want and can release any information.
That is false.
If you do ask a medical question, then you most certainly can not then release it without permission of the patient.
HIPAA does not just apply to medical providers.
Specifically, if an airlines representative asks a medical question, then HIPAA most certainly does apply, and they can not release it.
I work in medical fields and to pass tests on HIPAA.
It has been awhile, but I am sure of this.

HIPAA (you spelled it wrong, common mistake), does apply to everyone.
The airlines does not have your medical info, but if you give it to them, they had better be bound by HIPAA and not pass it around.
But airlines do have the right to demand to know if you are a medical threat.
However, a vaccine history does NOTHING to determine if you are a medical threat or not.
Viral loading is the same whether or not vaccinated, if you are infected.
No. Airlines are not covered by HIPAA rules.
1633141847095.png

Wrong.
You said anyone can ask any medical question they want and can release any information.
That is false.
If you do ask a medical question, then you most certainly can not then release it without permission of the patient.
HIPAA does not just apply to medical providers.
Specifically, if an airlines representative asks a medical question, then HIPAA most certainly does apply, and they can not release it.
I work in medical fields and to pass tests on HIPAA.
It has been awhile, but I am sure of this.
I know it sounds reasonable to you that anyone in possession of medical information or records should be required to protect them, but that just isn't the case. Many laws, just like HIPAA and the 2nd amendment, that so many people are so fond of mentioning don't always say what right wingers think they say.

I've worked in healthcare billing at the corporate level for over 10 years now.

I can tell you for a FACT, that India has ALL of our private health related information.
And the Chinese get it from India, as well as the USA.

Healthcare billing centers and third party billing companies that handle most of the actual healthcare billing in this country, all outsource 75% of it to India for processing.

I worked for one healthcare billing company that stated in their service contracts to clients/customers "All billing and billing related processes are handled in house, inside the United States". Which was a LIE.....as they sent most of the billing work to a company over in India!!!

Even the healthcare billing company I work for right now sends most of the billing processes to India.

If you think your healthcare information is PRIVATE, you are SADLY, SADLY, SAAAAAAAADLY mistaken!!!!

View attachment 546291

They aren't covered by HIPAA rules, unless it's the companies medical department that screws up.....then yes, they are liable.

The company may not be covered by HIPAA regarding the rest of the company, but they can be held liable for misuse and abuse of employees personal information.

View attachment 546291
Wrong.
All health information is required to be kept private by everyone, under HIPAA rules.
Your source is not concerned about legality or completeness, and was just giving 3 examples.
But just tell me a single source of health care information that is not covered by those 3 examples?
Anyone giving vaccination is a health care provider and is listed.

I have implemented medical databases, so have had to take classes on HIPAA and passed federally administered HIPAA testing.
And airlines, as employers, definitely ARE restricted by HIPAA.
They can not access or demand employee health information.

I know it sounds reasonable to you that anyone in possession of medical information or records should be required to protect them, but that just isn't the case. Many laws, just like HIPAA and the 2nd amendment, that so many people are so fond of mentioning don't always say what right wingers think they say.

No, HIPAA covers all health information in all circumstances.
Again, as a computer programmer who implements medical databases, I have taken classes on HIPAA and had to pass the federal testing.

I've worked in healthcare billing at the corporate level for over 10 years now.

I can tell you for a FACT, that India has ALL of our private health related information.
And the Chinese get it from India, as well as the USA.

Healthcare billing centers and third party billing companies that handle most of the actual healthcare billing in this country, all outsource 75% of it to India for processing.

I worked for one healthcare billing company that stated in their service contracts to clients/customers "All billing and billing related processes are handled in house, inside the United States". Which was a LIE.....as they sent most of the billing work to a company over in India!!!

Even the healthcare billing company I work for right now sends most of the billing processes to India.

If you think your healthcare information is PRIVATE, you are SADLY, SADLY, SAAAAAAAADLY mistaken!!!!

That is true, but that does not make it legal or allow any one in the US to use that illegal information.

I'm hoping someone can verify this. I was in the health care field when HIPPAA first came out. Remember reading something about that before HIPPAA any govt agency had to get a warrant from a judge to get medical records, after HIPPAA: "Warrants?! We don't need no steenkin warrants!!" Anyone know anything about this?

I'm hoping someone can verify this. I was in the health care field when HIPPAA first came out. Remember reading something about that before HIPPAA any govt agency had to get a warrant from a judge to get medical records, after HIPPAA: "Warrants?! We don't need no steenkin warrants!!" Anyone know anything about this?

Yes, police do not have legal access to the records of anyone without a warrant signed by a judge or magistrate.
By the way, it is HIPAA.

Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act​

{...
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA or the KennedyKassebaum Act[1][2]) is a United States federal statute enacted by the 104th United States Congress and was a bipartisan effort. The law was signed by President Bill Clinton on August 21, 1996. It modernized the flow of healthcare information, stipulates how personally identifiable information maintained by the healthcare and healthcare insurance industries should be protected from fraud and theft, and addressed some limitations on healthcare insurance coverage.[3] It generally prohibits healthcare providers and healthcare businesses, called covered entities, from disclosing protected information to anyone other than a patient and the patient's authorized representatives without their consent. With limited exceptions, it does not restrict patients from receiving information about themselves.[4] It does not prohibit them from voluntarily sharing their health information however they choose, or – if they disclose medical information to family members, friends, or other individuals not a part of a covered entity – legally require them to maintain confidentiality.

The act consists of five titles. Title I of HIPAA protects health insurance coverage for workers and their families when they change or lose their jobs.[5] Title II of HIPAA, known as the Administrative Simplification (AS) provisions, requires the establishment of national standards for electronic health care transactions and national identifiers for providers, health insurance plans, and employers.[6] Title III sets guidelines for pre-tax medical spending accounts, Title IV sets guidelines for group health plans, and Title V governs company-owned life insurance policies. ...}

Yes, police do not have legal access to the records of anyone without a warrant signed by a judge or magistrate.
By the way, it is HIPAA.

Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act​

{...
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA or the KennedyKassebaum Act[1][2]) is a United States federal statute enacted by the 104th United States Congress and was a bipartisan effort. The law was signed by President Bill Clinton on August 21, 1996. It modernized the flow of healthcare information, stipulates how personally identifiable information maintained by the healthcare and healthcare insurance industries should be protected from fraud and theft, and addressed some limitations on healthcare insurance coverage.[3] It generally prohibits healthcare providers and healthcare businesses, called covered entities, from disclosing protected information to anyone other than a patient and the patient's authorized representatives without their consent. With limited exceptions, it does not restrict patients from receiving information about themselves.[4] It does not prohibit them from voluntarily sharing their health information however they choose, or – if they disclose medical information to family members, friends, or other individuals not a part of a covered entity – legally require them to maintain confidentiality.

The act consists of five titles. Title I of HIPAA protects health insurance coverage for workers and their families when they change or lose their jobs.[5] Title II of HIPAA, known as the Administrative Simplification (AS) provisions, requires the establishment of national standards for electronic health care transactions and national identifiers for providers, health insurance plans, and employers.[6] Title III sets guidelines for pre-tax medical spending accounts, Title IV sets guidelines for group health plans, and Title V governs company-owned life insurance policies. ...}
The ACLU begs to differ

FAQ ON GOVERNMENT ACCESS TO MEDICAL RECORDS

Wrong.
All health information is required to be kept private by everyone, under HIPAA rules.
Your source is not concerned about legality or completeness, and was just giving 3 examples.
But just tell me a single source of health care information that is not covered by those 3 examples?
Anyone giving vaccination is a health care provider and is listed.

I have implemented medical databases, so have had to take classes on HIPAA and passed federally administered HIPAA testing.
And airlines, as employers, definitely ARE restricted by HIPAA.
They can not access or demand employee health information.
No. The HIPAA laws are very specific about who is bound by the law. If you aren't on that list you aren't bound by that law.

Forum List

Back