‘Historic Palestine’ – A Misleading Anachronism

Filastin is not an Arabic word. It’s a mispronunciation of Palestine, an English word derived from the Latin Palaestina imposed on Jews. This prominent soil scientist witnessed the area before Israeli statehood and recorded its depletion under Arabs and Muslims and the land’s revival by Jews…

Herodotus was Greek.

Doesn't give you the right to steal more land than you were given.

Does explain why the Israelis raided Lebanon for topsoil per Moishe Dayan.

Arabs did not populate the Middle East until the Arab conquests: Colonialism.

Sargon 2 settled four Arab tribes in Samaria around 700 BC.

Last edited:
“Historic Palestine” is a commonly-used term when discussing the Arab-Israeli conflict. The phrase suggests that a nation known as Palestine existed in the past, with the word “historic” giving the impression that this nation has deep roots in the region and thus has a natural claim to be revived in the form of a modern state called Palestine. By referring to the land thus without mentioning Jewish history, it also subtly suggests that a Jewish presence is foreign to the region.

This article discusses the origin and evolution of the usage of “Palestine” as a place name and how current notions of “Historic Palestine” are all based on a false understanding of the geographic and political history of the region.

Historic Palestine in today’s usage typically refers to the territory that now comprises Israel, the West Bank and the Gaza Strip. Here are several recent prominent examples of usage of the term:

• Saeb Erekat, chief negotiator for the Palestinian Authority, stated in an opinion piece published in the New York Times in May 2019 that the Palestinians recognized Israel on the “1967 border, equivalent to 78 percent of historic Palestine.”'Historic Palestine' – A Misleading Anachronism Which “historic Palestine” was Erekat referring to and does Israel really comprise 78% of this “historic” territory?

• The Columbia Journalism Review published an article in January 2019 titled “Palestinian citizens of Israel struggle to tell their stories” in which the author claimed that “Historic Palestine under Ottoman and British control had a thriving Arabic press.”[ii] Was Palestine ever a territory under Ottoman control?

• A June 2019 article in The Washington Report on Middle East Affairs about Trump’s “Deal of the Century” for Middle East peace states that the deal could leave the “New Palestine” in charge of “about 12 percent of historic Palestine.”[iii] What land area was used to arrive at this figure?

• President Abbas noted the following in his address to the United Nations in November 2012: “The two-state solution, i.e. the State of Palestine coexisting alongside the State of Israel, represents the spirit and essence of the historic compromise embodied in the Oslo Declaration of Principles, the agreement signed 19 years ago between the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) and the Government of Israel under the auspices of the United States of America on the White House Lawn, a compromise by which the Palestinian people accepted to establish their state on only 22% of the territory of historic Palestine for the sake of making peace.”[iv] Is this 22% number accurate?

(Comment)

It's an extensively informative article.

But there's a very simple basic question - why do all lectures on this "Historic Palestine" narrative,
the pictures, stories and all discourse - always start at some late point , 30-40 years into Zionist enterprise, after the land and its economy has been already progressively rejuvenating,
drying the vast swamps, building new cities?

And of course, thus dodging the preceding Arab pogroms,
that destroy the alleged "disturbed peaceful co-existence" propaganda...
Basically a land with communities where people have long got up to farming and trade, belongs to the people who have been living there for a lengthy period of time and that was what the British called Palestine. Whereas in the previous two centuries Europe had been involved in setting up nation/states with those they felt were like them, this had not as yet happened in general in the ME. The British outline the boundaries of the place which was to be called Palestine. Obviously there was a difference between what the Zionists and Brits wanted (which was not the same) and what the people who had living in the land according to Uri Avnery for up to 5,000 years wanted. However by the time that the British had agreed to include in Palestine 'a Home for Jews' which the zionists were very strong on pushing that there was not going to be a state, not because they were afraid what the Christians back home were wanting as they were wanting all Jews to have their state and have it there as they believed that was what their their bible said. Who the zionists did not want to know that their end desire was for a state for all Jews the vast majority of whom were against such a thing.

Everything suggests a lot of todays Palestinian Muslims were at one time Jews. Some became Christians and others married Muslims when they came in. Genetics show that Palestinians have a stronger connection to all Jewish groups than they have with each other. They were right in the centre genetically. Someone from this site once put a link to a book which had been written about just about everything in Palestine. If my memory serves me well people lived in little communities but of course travelled between them doing business and so knew quite a lot about other areas in their neighbourhood. Contrary to what I often see people say in the main they conducted their own business and made their own rules for doing things. The book also pointed out that some Muslim graves have a strong Jewish look about them, many streets have a definite Hebrew sound to them and I am sure you are aware that speaking to people has shown that many Muslims tried to continue being Jews secretly,

So the British wanted the land for colonial reasons. I think it was in a good place to get to many of their other Colonial areas. They were hoping to make some money by it. Now the Zionists also wanted it for Colonial Reasons. Most of their early organisations included the word Colonial. I am tempted to say that was just because that was how things were at that time but I cannot because one of the main reasons why most Jews did not believe in a State in Israel for Jews was because they did not believe in Colonialism and contrary to what they had been told, the land had people living in it. Beautiful place but the Maidan is married is how one described it. Everywhere else where Colonialists went on their colonialism they have been chucked out. The Palestinians can't do this b cause of the Holocaust of Jews in Europe and because the Zionists had no other home to go to - or they certainly did not have the military ability to get rid of them. Because of this they eventually decided to let the Zioinists have the 78% of their homeland which Israel already had, provided they were given the remaining 22% for a viable contiguous State. This has not happened. A very recent UN study says that it is the Israelis who are mainly to blame for the conflict. That is the people with all the weapons and hence pretty much all the power.

No one can go into another country and say my great great great great and another 1000 time great grandfather once lived here so get on your bike and give me your house.

Basically a land with communities where people have long got up to farming and trade, belongs to the people who have been living there for a lengthy period of time and that was what the British called Palestine. Whereas in the previous two centuries Europe had been involved in setting up nation/states with those they felt were like them, this had not as yet happened in general in the ME. The British outline the boundaries of the place which was to be called Palestine. Obviously there was a difference between what the Zionists and Brits wanted (which was not the same) and what the people who had living in the land according to Uri Avnery for up to 5,000 years wanted. However by the time that the British had agreed to include in Palestine 'a Home for Jews' which the zionists were very strong on pushing that there was not going to be a state, not because they were afraid what the Christians back home were wanting as they were wanting all Jews to have their state and have it there as they believed that was what their their bible said. Who the zionists did not want to know that their end desire was for a state for all Jews the vast majority of whom were against such a thing.

Everything suggests a lot of todays Palestinian Muslims were at one time Jews. Some became Christians and others married Muslims when they came in. Genetics show that Palestinians have a stronger connection to all Jewish groups than they have with each other. They were right in the centre genetically. Someone from this site once put a link to a book which had been written about just about everything in Palestine. If my memory serves me well people lived in little communities but of course travelled between them doing business and so knew quite a lot about other areas in their neighbourhood. Contrary to what I often see people say in the main they conducted their own business and made their own rules for doing things. The book also pointed out that some Muslim graves have a strong Jewish look about them, many streets have a definite Hebrew sound to them and I am sure you are aware that speaking to people has shown that many Muslims tried to continue being Jews secretly,

So the British wanted the land for colonial reasons. I think it was in a good place to get to many of their other Colonial areas. They were hoping to make some money by it. Now the Zionists also wanted it for Colonial Reasons. Most of their early organisations included the word Colonial. I am tempted to say that was just because that was how things were at that time but I cannot because one of the main reasons why most Jews did not believe in a State in Israel for Jews was because they did not believe in Colonialism and contrary to what they had been told, the land had people living in it. Beautiful place but the Maidan is married is how one described it. Everywhere else where Colonialists went on their colonialism they have been chucked out. The Palestinians can't do this b cause of the Holocaust of Jews in Europe and because the Zionists had no other home to go to - or they certainly did not have the military ability to get rid of them. Because of this they eventually decided to let the Zioinists have the 78% of their homeland which Israel already had, provided they were given the remaining 22% for a viable contiguous State. This has not happened. A very recent UN study says that it is the Israelis who are mainly to blame for the conflict. That is the people with all the weapons and hence pretty much all the power.

No one can go into another country and say my great great great great and another 1000 time great grandfather once lived here so get on your bike and give me your house.
Thank you so much for this wonderful rewriting of History . And from Al Monitor of all sources. Well chosen.

Now, can you find me anything on "Historic Palestine".
Any one mention in Egyptian, Phoenician, Assyrian, Greek, Roman history will do.

Still haven’t explained how the Jewish people betrayed the Muslims. 😂
well one reason would be that they gave them Refuge when they had to leave Europe. - not meaning after the holocaust when most Jewish survivors did not want to go to Palestine but the other times when they were made to pack their bags in a hurry. They also apparently gave gays refuge when they lived in countries like Briton where being gay carried a death penalty.

Last edited:
Now, can you find me anything on "Historic Palestine".
Any one mention in Egyptian, Phoenician, Assyrian, Greek, Roman history will do.
Irrelevant to what I was speaking about. I explain how a name was not what means a people belong in a place. A big mistake make by Zionists.

Irrelevant to what I was speaking about. I explain how a name was not what means a people belong in a place. A big mistake make by Zionists.
You were not speaking about anything. You simply recycled Muslim rewritten history.

Now, I would really like for you to find anything about "Historic Palestine", because so far the Palestinians themselves have not been able to find one pot, one flint, one nothing.

Thank you so much for this wonderful rewriting of History . And from Al Monitor of all sources. Well chosen.
It is a UN report. What Al Monitor thinks is irrelevant. Do a search for UN report believed Israel is mainly to blame for conflict and you will find that everyone who is carrying the story has that as the headline. The Israeli Times as well. Try to get some education.

well one reason would be that they gave them Refuge when they had to leave Europe.
Muslims gave them Refuge because the Jews HAD to leave Europe?? It’s funny that all we see on the board is that the Jews are accusing those who object to Zionism as Antisemitism . Which is it??
Still doesn’t explain how the Jews “ betrayed “ them. 🥱🇮🇱

It is a UN report. What Al Monitor thinks is irrelevant. Do a search for UN report believed Israel is mainly to blame for conflict and you will find that everyone who is carrying the story has that as the headline. The Israeli Times as well. Try to get some education.
Edit: Oh found a different headline for you. Perhaps you will prefer this one

ISRAEL’S OCCUPATION, DISCRIMINATION AGAINST PALESTINIANS MAIN CAUSE OF VIOLENCE: UN REPORT

Forum List

Back