🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

History of Hospitals

Chuckt

Gold Member
Jul 3, 2013
I think you will be surprised to hear how large a church role Christians had in the building and formation of hospitals.

In the U.S., the number of hospitals reached 4400 in 1910, when they provided 420,000 beds.[55] These were operated by city, state and federal agencies, by churches, by stand-alone non-profits, and by for-profit enterprises. All the major denominations built hospitals; the 541 Catholic ones (in 1915) were staffed primarily by unpaid nuns. The others sometimes had a small cadre of deaconesses as staff.[56] Non-profit hospitals were supplemented by large public hospitals in major cities and research hospitals often affiliated with a medical school. The largest public hospital system in America is the New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation, which includes Bellevue Hospital, the oldest U.S. hospital, affiliated with New York University Medical School.[57]

History of hospitals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So true. We had two hospitals here, and everyone went to the Catholic hosp. for everything but birthing. I asked my mom why that was and she said it was because if there is a problem with the birth, they would save the baby and let the mother go. The one hospital bought the Catholic hosp. and now we have no good hospital.

It occurred to me that the church took care of people before there was an abundance of hospitals because the deacons were ready to staff the first hospitals. Why else would there be such a big movement?

I think you will be surprised to hear how large a church role Christians had in the building and formation of hospitals.

In the U.S., the number of hospitals reached 4400 in 1910, when they provided 420,000 beds.[55] These were operated by city, state and federal agencies, by churches, by stand-alone non-profits, and by for-profit enterprises. All the major denominations built hospitals; the 541 Catholic ones (in 1915) were staffed primarily by unpaid nuns. The others sometimes had a small cadre of deaconesses as staff.[56] Non-profit hospitals were supplemented by large public hospitals in major cities and research hospitals often affiliated with a medical school. The largest public hospital system in America is the New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation, which includes Bellevue Hospital, the oldest U.S. hospital, affiliated with New York University Medical School.[57]

History of hospitals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Suppose if you fast foward to the US ignoring the fact that the Arab world gave us modern hospital-medicine during the Crusades ya, Christianity built lots of hospitals. Of course, until Christians saw how Muslims did hospital care the thought of healthy fruit and veggies, and cleaning wounds eluded them. And it wasn't until a doctor in Britain proposed surgeons wash their hands after having them in some cadaveor's guts before then delivering babies than the concept of germs even occured to anyone.

Ah, Its the history of hospitals in the U.S.!

I have a question about the origin of hospitals?

Is it possibly that the first thing functioning as hospital occurred during a war?

Sometimes good intentions produce evil, sometimes evil intentions produce good. You would never see that said in a religious sermon of any kind...

Forum List

Back