History Quiz

Yes, to everyone who said Willim Henry Harrison, and he did die from pneumonia about 1 month into his term (not sure of the exact length of time), due to bad weather during his Inauguration speech. Poor guy...

Said1 said:
Can I go?

Ok, thanks. :D

Which country first gave women the right to vote in national elections?

I believe that Catherine de Medicis introduce the vote for women in France during the time she was at the head of the Kingdom - she had a lot of influence on her sons, Françoi II, Charles IX and Henri III - , at the end of the XVIth century.
But it was not really a national vote, like today.

padisha emperor said:
nobody ask a question then I do it :

What is the origin of the word "decimation", and of the verb "to decimate" ?
In Roman times, a method of punishing disobedience/rebellion was to kill every 10th person involved, hence the term decimate (from the Latin word for "ten")

If I'm correct, then this.....

What was the name of the inventor of nerve gas (and also, chemical fertilizers)?

KarlMarx said:
In Roman times, a method of punishing disobedience/rebellion was to kill every 10th person involved, hence the term decimate (from the Latin word for "ten")

exactly !

one time, they even did it for a whole legion, during the Punic Wars. (normally it's fior a smaller unit, like a centurie, or a manipule - 2 centuries - )

your turn

KarlMarx said:
If I'm correct, then this.....

What was the name of the inventor of nerve gas (and also, chemical fertilizers)?

The German chemist Fritz Haber came up with the theory for I think it was catalysis of nitrates from the atmosphere, and he was a leader in poison gas development during WW1- is he the one you're asking for?

USViking said:
The German chemist Fritz Haber came up with the theory for I think it was catalysis of nitrates from the atmosphere, and he was a leader in poison gas development during WW1- is he the one you're asking for?
yep, that's the guy

I still enjoy trying to answer questions, but after playing this game on three different boards for about a year I have gotten a bit of burn-out as far as dreaming up questions.

Anyone else care to ask one?

Abbey Normal said:
I'll ask one that my daughter's Amercian History teacher got wrong.

Who is Pennsylvania named after?

(Hint: It's not the obvious answer)
William Penn?

KarlMarx said:
William Penn?

Not exactly the William Penn you are probably thinking of, the famous Quaker who founded Philadelphia. But you are very close, and it is kind of a trick question. It was named for his father, also named William Penn.

"Charles II signed a charter for territory west of the Delaware River and north of Maryland, approximately the present size of Pennsylvania, where about a thousand Germans, Dutch and Indians lived without any particular government. The King proposed the name "Pennsylvania" which meant "Forests of Penn"--honoring Penn's late father (Admiral William Penn)...

Abbey Normal said:
Not exactly the William Penn you are probably thinking of, the famous Quaker who founded Philadelphia. But you are very close, and it is kind of a trick question. It was named for his father, also named William Penn.

"Charles II signed a charter for territory west of the Delaware River and north of Maryland, approximately the present size of Pennsylvania, where about a thousand Germans, Dutch and Indians lived without any particular government. The King proposed the name "Pennsylvania" which meant "Forests of Penn"--honoring Penn's late father (Admiral William Penn)...

i never saw the link between Pennsylvania and the forest, but now, after your post, it seems obvious to me...the words "sylvestre" are for the forest things in french, the word "sylve" is an other word for forest, and the "sylvains" are the spirits of the forest - it's also a name - . In english probably too i think. (it comes from the latin word sylva, forest)

I ask a question, but I don't think I will be able to come tomorrow, so ask a question if you think you've got the point. Or let karl marx do it, i take his turn. sorry ;)

3 legions were destroyed here. Where ? and who was their leader ? (bonus : give the number of these legion - ex : 1st, 2nd.... - and the number of casualties.)

padisha emperor said:
i never saw the link between Pennsylvania and the forest, but now, after your post, it seems obvious to me...the words "sylvestre" are for the forest things in french, the word "sylve" is an other word for forest, and the "sylvains" are the spirits of the forest - it's also a name - . In english probably too i think. (it comes from the latin word sylva, forest)

I ask a question, but I don't think I will be able to come tomorrow, so ask a question if you think you've got the point. Or let karl marx do it, i take his turn. sorry ;)

3 legions were destroyed here. Where ? and who was their leader ? (bonus : give the number of these legion - ex : 1st, 2nd.... - and the number of casualties.)

Three legions, led by Varrus, were destroyed in the Battle of Teutonberg Forest in 9BC.

Some years earlier Rome had conquered all Germany between the Rhine and Elbe Rivers. After Teutonberg Rome moved its frontiers permanently west to the Rhine.

USViking said:
Three legions, led by Varrus, were destroyed in the Battle of Teutonberg Forest in 9BC.

Some years earlier Rome had conquered all Germany between the Rhine and Elbe Rivers. After Teutonberg Rome moved its frontiers permanently east to the Rhine.

perfect.

this expedition was a trap, the lieutenant of Varus, Arminius (Hermann) was a german. and he kept contact with the german tribes on the other side of the Limes. Then, the legions, the XVIIth, XVIIIth and XIXth, were walking in line when they were attacked. IN front of them, behin, and on the two sides, german warriors. And Arminius and his troops impeach the retreat of the roman soldiers.
The number of roman casualties is not fixed. Some said 40,000, with the soldiers, and all the people walnk with a legion at war.
But the most probably number is that 15,000 roman legionnaires were killed these 3 days. That's awesome for this period ! 15,000 legionnaires killed.

Auguste was so sad that while several monthes he didn't cut his hair and didn't shave more.

The 3 eagles of these legions were caught. Rome had to wait several years and a lot of killed to take them back.

And since 9 BC, no more roman legion wears the number XVII, XVIII and XIX.

padisha emperor said:
perfect.

this expedition was a trap, the lieutenant of Varus, Arminius (Hermann) was a german. and he kept contact with the german tribes on the other side of the Limes. Then, the legions, the XVIIth, XVIIIth and XIXth, were walking in line when they were attacked. IN front of them, behin, and on the two sides, german warriors. And Arminius and his troops impeach the retreat of the roman soldiers.
The number of roman casualties is not fixed. Some said 40,000, with the soldiers, and all the people walnk with a legion at war.
But the most probably number is that 15,000 roman legionnaires were killed these 3 days. That's awesome for this period ! 15,000 legionnaires killed.

Auguste was so sad that while several monthes he didn't cut his hair and didn't shave more.

The 3 eagles of these legions were caught. Rome had to wait several years and a lot of killed to take them back.

And since 9 BC, no more roman legion wears the number XVII, XVIII and XIX.

Padisha Emperor = Edward Gibbon (I hope you understand what I mean!)

I am very impressed by your knowledge of classical history!

I don't agree with your politics, but I sure have to give you many accolades for your knowledge on this subject! :) :) :)

OK.... I'll ask this time (only as a "bonus" question, since I didn't take my turn last time). I'll stick with ancient Egyptian history, since that seems to be my strong suit....

This Pharaoh is thought to be the Pharaoh of the Exodus (as in Moses)....

a couple of hints, he's on display in the Cairo Museum and one of his monuments was rescued by the United Nations (that's right, the UN, no kidding!)

KarlMarx said:
Padisha Emperor = Edward Gibbon (I hope you understand what I mean!)

I am very impressed by your knowledge of classical history!

I don't agree with your politics, but I sure have to give you many accolades for your knowledge on this subject! :) :) :)

OK.... I'll ask this time (only as a "bonus" question, since I didn't take my turn last time). I'll stick with ancient Egyptian history, since that seems to be my strong suit....

This Pharaoh is thought to be the Pharaoh of the Exodus (as in Moses)....

a couple of hints, he's on display in the Cairo Museum and one of his monuments was rescued by the United Nations (that's right, the UN, no kidding!)

thank you very much :)

pharaoh of Exodus ?
Ramses II, isn't it ?

(I don't know Edward Gibbon, who is it ?)

Forum List

Back