History Quiz

padisha emperor said:
I ask a more conventional question :

Battle of Middle Age, under the rule of Philippe II Auguste, France against Flander, Empire and England.
fortunatly, France won, after this hard battle, where the king Philippe was not far to be killed.

The battle of Bouvines? (per Wikipedia)

USViking said:
Would someone like to ask a question for me?
I'll bite. Been doing some Revolutionary reading.

This 'Founding Father' was a thorn in John Adams side. He truly supported Britain and did everything in his power to hold with the Mother Country. In the end though, Parliament and the King left him dangling in the wind.

When all was done though, his participation and logical arguments were part and parcel of Constitution making.

He had served in both Delaware and Pennsylvania, and was definately an 'elitist.' He seriously feared the great unwashed of the masses.

Kathianne said:
I'll bite. Been doing some Revolutionary reading.

This 'Founding Father' was a thorn in John Adams side. He truly supported Britain and did everything in his power to hold with the Mother Country. In the end though, Parliament and the King left him dangling in the wind.

When all was done though, his participation and logical arguments were part and parcel of Constitution making.

He had served in both Delaware and Pennsylvania, and was definately an 'elitist.' He seriously feared the great unwashed of the masses.

I recall reading of him, but I can't remember his name.

Maybe it'll come to me in a while.

USViking said:
I recall reading of him, but I can't remember his name.

Maybe it'll come to me in a while.

Good luck. I too remembered the name, but without reading "A Leap In the Dark" I couldn't tell you zilch about him. He really was a 'big deal.'

Kathianne said:
Good luck. I too remembered the name, but without reading "A Leap In the Dark" I couldn't tell you zilch about him. He really was a 'big deal.'
An educated guess and playing off your "jeapordy" hint....

Franklin?

freeandfun1 said:
An educated guess and playing off your "jeapordy" hint....

Franklin?

Nope, though he was in France at the time I believe. This guy was an 'elitist' like aristocracy, not like Franklin.

padisha emperor said:
There is more than 50 signers of the DI, I believe....

Begin with a C ? Aristocratic ?

Carollton ?

LOL sometimes PE, I could kiss you! :laugh:

padisha emperor said:
Hey ! it's a hard question, specially for a French ! ;) (or a foreigner, in fact)

I can google and give all the names, if you want :D

Or you may also give some hints for us ;)
He was NOT one of the signers, but gave an impassioned speech during the prelude to a vote.

He was a member of the first and second Continental Congress.

Kathianne said:
He was NOT one of the signers, but gave an impassioned speech during the prelude to a vote.

He was a member of the first and second Continental Congress.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah ok ... sorry :D

Thomas Hutchinson ?

(the only speecher I know are Dickinson and Jefferson, but they were trully patriots, not for the Crown)

padisha emperor said:
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah ok ... sorry :D

Thomas Hutchinson ?

(the only speecher I know are Dickinson and Jefferson, but they were trully patriots, not for the Crown)

Read again about John Dickenson. ;)

Your turn.

Is it not him who said "Ours is not to question why, ours is to do or die" to make stronger the revolutionary cause ? It's why I believed He was not very loyal.

But ok, I find it :
"Dickinson was opposed to a separation from Gr. Britain and worked very hard to temper the language and action of the Congress, in an effort to maintain the possibility of reconciliation. It was for this reason that he abstained from voting on and signing the Declaration of Independence. "

(I give you the link, good site about US DI and revolution : http://www.ushistory.org/declaration/index.htm

but you certainly know it ;)

French leader of the revolution.

Killed in 1793. On his grave, the Republic putted : here rest X, the friend of the people killed by the ennemies of the people"(translated from french by me)

A decret of 1794 made him "immortal".

he was an extremsit, and wanted a real revolution. he fought also a lot the Girondins. (revolutionnary faction)
He was president of the "CLub des Jacobins", and was with Danton and Robesbierre the "triumvirat" of the Jacobins.

Who is it ?

(if you don't find immediatly, I have a golden hint ;) )

padisha emperor said:
Is it not him who said "Ours is not to question why, ours is to do or die" to make stronger the revolutionary cause ? It's why I believed He was not very loyal.

But ok, I find it :
"Dickinson was opposed to a separation from Gr. Britain and worked very hard to temper the language and action of the Congress, in an effort to maintain the possibility of reconciliation. It was for this reason that he abstained from voting on and signing the Declaration of Independence. "

(I give you the link, good site about US DI and revolution : http://www.ushistory.org/declaration/index.htm

but you certainly know it ;)

French leader of the revolution.

Killed in 1793. On his grave, the Republic putted : here rest X, the friend of the people killed by the ennemies of the people"(translated from french by me)

A decret of 1794 made him "immortal".

he was an extremsit, and wanted a real revolution. he fought also a lot the Girondins. (revolutionnary faction)
He was president of the "CLub des Jacobins", and was with Danton and Robesbierre the "triumvirat" of the Jacobins.

Who is it ?

(if you don't find immediatly, I have a golden hint ;) )

How about Marat?

Forum List

Back