History Quiz

What is the name of a tribe/kingdom that once threatened the power of the pope during early medieval times? The pope had to result to using diplomacy to enlist Frankish support to stop this threat. A number of years later this tribe/kingdom was ultimately destroyed by a Europeans Empire, which greatly strengthened the influence of the church over Western Europe because of the close alliance that had developed over time.

Markainion said:
What is the name of a tribe/kingdom that once threatened the power of the pope during early medieval times? The pope had to result to using diplomacy to enlist Frankish support to stop this threat. A number of years later this tribe/kingdom was ultimately destroyed by a Europeans Empire, which greatly strengthened the influence of the church over Western Europe because of the close alliance that had developed over time.
Sounds sort of like the Huns, although
I am not sure they are considered a
phenomenon of the Middle Ages, having
disappeared from history by I think the
end of the fifth century.

Markainion said:

The Wisigoths ?
because they were defeated by Clovis in 507 at Vouillé, and Clovis was allied with the pope, so it correspond with the description (Clovis'alliance with the Church did a lot at this time for the conversion to christianism with the barbarians, then it made stronger Church)

USViking said:
Sounds sort of like the Huns, although
I am not sure they are considered a
phenomenon of the Middle Ages, having
disappeared from history by I think the
end of the fifth century.

No this tribe wasn't much of an influence over Europe until after the fall of the Western Roman Empire.

padisha emperor said:
The Wisigoths ?
because they were defeated by Clovis in 507 at Vouillé, and Clovis was allied with the pope, so it correspond with the description (Clovis'alliance with the Church did a lot at this time for the conversion to christianism with the barbarians, then it made stronger Church)

No, it was a process of many different popes. One of which actually crowned the King of kingdom that conquered the tribe/kingdom that I am thinking, as a new Roman Emperor.

Markainion said:
No, it was a process of many different popes. One of which actually crowned the King of kingdom that conquered the tribe/kingdom that I am thinking, as a new Roman Emperor.

well....the Lombards ? tribe in Italy, threatened Rome, some popes had to ask France, and then the Lombards were defeated by Pepin le Bref, and after by Charlemagne , the "new roman emperor".

So, the Lombards ?

padisha emperor said:
well....the Lombards ? tribe in Italy, threatened Rome, some popes had to ask France, and then the Lombards were defeated by Pepin le Bref, and after by Charlemagne , the "new roman emperor".

So, the Lombards ?

Correct. I figured once you could figure out which empire I was talking about this would be an easy question. That is why I tried not to say the empires name.

Anyway back to you.

Markainion said:
Correct. I figured once you could figure out which empire I was talking about this would be an easy question. That is why I tried not to say the empires name.

Anyway back to you.

i thought to the Franks, but to early in fact, with Clovis. But after i read again yçur question, and saw it was Charlmagne's time.
anyway, very good question ! ;)

During the XVIIth. c. and the beginning of the XVIIIth., the regiments began to have specific uniforms, with special colours for each one.

From which country, and if it is possible, which King, came this practice ? (using colours)

This thing was a kind of revolution on the battlefield : the armies were easily recognizable, the modern age of war began.

padisha emperor said:
i thought to the Franks, but to early in fact, with Clovis. But after i read again yçur question, and saw it was Charlmagne's time.
anyway, very good question ! ;)

During the XVIIth. c. and the beginning of the XVIIIth., the regiments began to have specific uniforms, with special colours for each one.

From which country, and if it is possible, which King, came this practice ? (using colours)

This thing was a kind of revolution on the battlefield : the armies were easily recognizable, the modern age of war began.

Perhaps the France of Louis XIV?

padisha emperor said:
earlier. ;)

France of Louis XIV took this system, but it's not really its "invention".

hint : came from a country allied with France during a major war.

This is a bit confusing, because Louis XIV
coincides with the end of the 17th and
start of the 18th centuries.

The only other major power of the era who
I can think of that was often allied with France
was Sweden, so I will guess Sweden, during
the reign of Carl XII, who also ruled during
both centuries.

USViking said:
This is a bit confusing, because Louis XIV
coincides with the end of the 17th and
start of the 18th centuries.

The only other major power of the era who
I can think of that was often allied with France
was Sweden, so I will guess Sweden, during
the reign of Carl XII, who also ruled during
both centuries.

well...

in fact, this innovation began in one country during the XVIIth. But the other countries took it during this century and used it also with amelioration during the XVIII (this cnetury is like the end of the introduction of htis innovation in the art of war).

The idea came from the XVII ;)

you got the good country, it's Sweden.

Then, think at (or think to ? what the correct term ?) a major conflict during this century, where Sweden and France were allies, and won, and you'll have the king ;)

padisha emperor said:
well...

in fact, this innovation began in one country during the XVIIth. But the other countries took it during this century and used it also with amelioration during the XVIII (this cnetury is like the end of the introduction of htis innovation in the art of war).

The idea came from the XVII ;)

you got the good country, it's Sweden.

Then, think at (or think to ? what the correct term ?) a major conflict during this century, where Sweden and France were allies, and won, and you'll have the king ;)

It must be the Thirty Years War, with the
king being Gustavus Adolphus, although
this war and his reign took place entirely
in the 17th century.

Good enough?

Question:

Danish king whose intervention in the
Thirty Years War preceded that of
Sweden. He was disastrously defeated.

Years later he made the mistake of going
to war against Sweden when Sweden was
at the height of its power. This resulted
in another disastous Danish defeat, with
loss of terrirtory which had been Danish
since the Viking era.

USViking said:
It must be the Thirty Years War, with the
king being Gustavus Adolphus, although
this war and his reign took place entirely
in the 17th century.

Good enough?

Question:

since the Viking era.

perfect : Gustave-Adolphe's army used this technic, and after all the european armies used it.

Christian IV

USViking said:
Question:

since the Viking era.

Frederick III of Denmark?

Markainion said:
Frederick III of Denmark?

M. Emperor answered correctly a couple
of posts ago.

Good try, though- another Danish king
named Frederick, maybe C4's successor,
also got into a war with Sweden in which
Denmark only narrowly avoided being
conquered outright.

The Swedes marched across the frozen
seas connecting the Danish islands, and
beseiged Copenhagen. They were repulsed
in a close call for the Danes.

USViking said:
M. Emperor answered correctly a couple
of posts ago.

Good try, though- another Danish king
named Frederick, maybe C4's successor,
also got into a war with Sweden in which
Denmark only narrowly avoided being
conquered outright.

The Swedes marched across the frozen
seas connecting the Danish islands, and
beseiged Copenhagen. They were repulsed
in a close call for the Danes.

I was thinking of the Treaty of Roskilde that was signed in 1658 during Frederick III of Denmark reign. In which Denmark seeded the southern portion of Sweden to Sweden.

I don’t have any question right now anyway. So M. Emperor can have it.

Markainion said:
I was thinking of the Treaty of Roskilde that was signed in 1658 during Frederick III of Denmark reign. In which Denmark seeded the southern portion of Sweden to Sweden.

I don’t have any question right now anyway. So M. Emperor can have it.

You were actually right on F3's number.

It was C4 who took part in the 30YW.

this german general, son of a winner general of the franco-prussian war,, was at the head of the general staff of IInd Reich's armies, but was defeated at La Marne by the French lead by the Maréchal Joffre in september 1914.

Forum List

Back