History Quiz

padisha emperor said:
thank you very much :)

pharaoh of Exodus ?
Ramses II, isn't it ?

(I don't know Edward Gibbon, who is it ?)
Right you are!

Edward Gibbon wrote "Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire". It is 6 volumes and is considered by most to be one of the best histories (of any sort) ever written.

KarlMarx said:
Right you are!

Edward Gibbon wrote "Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire". It is 6 volumes and is considered by most to be one of the best histories (of any sort) ever written.
ok. I'll buy them. ;)

thanks for the information !

Question: why Napoleon Bonaparte had as nickname, at the beginning of his carrer, "general Vendémiaire" (Vendémiaire is a month of the Revolution's calendar) ?

padisha emperor said:
ok. I'll buy them. ;)

thanks for the information !

Question: why Napoleon Bonaparte had as nickname, at the beginning of his carrer, "general Vendémiaire" (Vendémiaire is a month of the Revolution's calendar) ?

Was this the month in which he may have saved the government by firing grapeshot into the Paris mob during a serious uprising?

USViking said:
Was this the month in which he may have saved the government by firing grapeshot into the Paris mob during a serious uprising?

yes ;)

He shot with guns on the royalists who were out of the Saint Roch 's Church, in Paris. It was Vendémiaire, the 13th.

go ahead USViking ;)

padisha emperor said:
yes ;)

He shot with guns on the royalists who were out of the Saint Roch 's Church, in Paris. It was Vendémiaire, the 13th.

go ahead USViking ;)

Name of Napoleon's secretary, who was later given a nice administrative job, and had to be removed from office for corruption in the form of selling exceptions to the forbidden trade with England.

Napoleon is supposed to have said to him: "You will be known to the ages for having been my secretary".

The response was this: "Sire, who was Alexander the Great's secretary?"

padisha emperor said:
Bourrienne, isn't it ? I know he was an old friend of Napoleon, his secretary, and administrator of Hamburg, then i think it is the one searched.

Corrrect. I didn't think I could fool you on a question about Napoleon!

USViking said:
Corrrect. I didn't think I could fool you on a question about Napoleon!

Which consul re-organized the roman legion, duriong the 2nd-1st century before JC. ?

He is nthe one who gave to the roman legions their usual organisation, and also the one who gave the Aquila, the eagle for each legion.

And he defeated the Cimbres and the Teutons, germanic barbarians, at Aix en Provence in 102 before JC (my city !!)

padisha emperor said:

Which consul re-organized the roman legion, duriong the 2nd-1st century before JC. ?

He is nthe one who gave to the roman legions their usual organisation, and also the one who gave the Aquila, the eagle for each legion.

And he defeated the Cimbres and the Teutons, germanic barbarians, at Aix en Provence in 102 before JC (my city !!)

Was it Marius?

Roman general and Roman defeat which took place in Mesopotamia against Persia in the 1st century BC; it was as great a loss as any suffered by Rome.

The Roman general may have been the richest man in the Republic. According to legend he was consequently put to death by the Persians by having molten gold poured down his throat.

USViking said:
The unfortunate Crassus is correct.

Is the battle uncorrect ? because for me, Carrhae is the name of the Crassus's defeat in -53, against the Parthians, lead by Surena for the cavalry and byt the king Orodes II, if my memory is good. I believe this battle is also called Harran.

padisha emperor said:
Is the battle uncorrect ? because for me, Carrhae is the name of the Crassus's defeat in -53, against the Parthians, lead by Surena for the cavalry and byt the king Orodes II, if my memory is good. I believe this battle is also called Harran.

Pardon me- the battle is also correct, I did not mean otherwise!

Ask away, mon ami!

USViking said:
Pardon me- the battle is also correct, I did not mean otherwise!

Ask away, mon ami!

no i'm sorry, i believe that only crassus was good.
;)

Why Hindenburg said, after the WWI, when he received at his table the young archiduke of the Habsbourg family, that his favourite city was Paris ?

A surprising answer, even if Paris is a beautiful city, because at this time, and since 1806 but above all 1870, France and Germany were the biggestennemies on earth.

So, why this answer ?

hint : think to the architecture of Paris ;)

padisha emperor said:
no i'm sorry, i believe that only crassus was good.
;)

Why Hindenburg said, after the WWI, when he received at his table the young archiduke of the Habsbourg family, that his favourite city was Paris ?

A surprising answer, even if Paris is a beautiful city, because at this time, and since 1806 but above all 1870, France and Germany were the biggestennemies on earth.

So, why this answer ?

hint : think to the architecture of Paris ;)

Ahem- Anyone besides me need a few more hints?

The Baron Haussmann, french architect, rebuilt a lot of street in Paris. The boulevards were more wide...the places more great.....

It was a real change with the former Paris, like the Paris of 1830....of 1848...the Paris of the barricades.... ;)

I will give the answer, it's quite hard :

The Baron Haussmann, under Napoleon III, rebuilt Paris, several quarters.
The streets become wider, nicer too, the place were the junction point of several wide streets.

And Hindenburg said "Paris" because he said "it's the only city where you can control 7 streets with one machine gun nest."

Because the new Paris of Haussmann was also studied for this reason, tio avoid the uprising, the insurrection.

put a barricade in a small street, wide of 5 meters. easy.

But a barricade on a great boulevard wide of 50 meters, it's really hard.

Other point : a wide street makes possible a charge of cavalry.

And finally, look at the Place de L'Etoile, with the Arc de Triomphe :

pict0509.jpg

Here, with one single machine gun nest, with one signle guns battery, you can control all the streets.

;)

For "Paris aux barricades" in 1968 : don't know really what you want about it, if it is the signification, it's this one : troubles in Paris and FRance in may 1968, with the students.
They were fights between them and the CRS, and the police.
And lot of people did the relation between this uprising and the 1830's and 1848's revolution. Where paris had a lot of barricades to fight the royalist troops.

I ask a more conventional question :

Battle of Middle Age, under the rule of Philippe II Auguste, France against Flander, Empire and England.
fortunatly, France won, after this hard battle, where the king Philippe was not far to be killed.

Forum List

Back