homosexual marriage

When a baker must bake that wedding cake, a photographer forced to attend a gay wedding, they are forced to participate.

Gay rights are here to stay, the same way they were here to stay in Mesopotamia, Greece, Egypt and Rome. Gay rights stayed until they didn't stay any more.

Public accommodation laws have nothing to do with this case. This magistrate is refusing to do his job and should either resign or be fired. Gays are allowed to legally marry in his state and he cannot refuse to do his job because of personal feelings.

You mean like when Attorney Generals of States refuse to fight for their own states constitution as Jerry Brown did in California. Should he have been fired?
That's an interesting point. Is it part of the job of an attorney general to fight for all laws even one they know is going to get shot down?

When a baker must bake that wedding cake, a photographer forced to attend a gay wedding, they are forced to participate.

Gay rights are here to stay, the same way they were here to stay in Mesopotamia, Greece, Egypt and Rome. Gay rights stayed until they didn't stay any more.

Public accommodation laws have nothing to do with this case. This magistrate is refusing to do his job and should either resign or be fired. Gays are allowed to legally marry in his state and he cannot refuse to do his job because of personal feelings.

You mean like when Attorney Generals of States refuse to fight for their own states constitution as Jerry Brown did in California. Should he have been fired?

Refusing to defend a case because the outcome is clear is at their prosecutorial discretion. My AG did the same exact thing. Why waste the resources and taxpayers dollars on a losing cause?

A magistrate in the state I live in refused to marry a gay couple even though homosexual marriage was just declared legal by the courts. So a couple of questions.
1 If a gay couple ask a conservative preacher to marry them can he site his religious beliefs and say no?
2 If the answer to question 1 is yes should a magistrate be able to say no because of his beliefs?
My only fear now that it is legal is that preachers are going to be forced into marrying them even though it is against his beliefs.

There's no such thing as "Homosexual Marriage". . .

You are right.

There is just marriage.

And in 31 states homosexual couples can now legally marry each other.

And that will be called marriage- not 'Homosexual Marriage'.

Simple stuff.

That's an interesting point. Is it part of the job of an attorney general to fight for all laws even one they know is going to get shot down?

I certainly think it is their duty to defend the laws of their state........Jerry Brown, and I believe a number of others that didnt do that should have been fired......or had the integrity to quit. They should also have been disbarred(sp?).

The voters in California will decide whether to fire him or not in about a month.

At the moment, the voters of California look like they will renew his contract by a landslide.

The person who says, "There's no such thing as "Homosexual Marriage" is correct, there is only marriage, which is two people committed to one another in a state-sanctioned ceremony joining them together.

Whatever a church does privately is the church's business.

No servant of the state, who has authority to marry, can deny the state rite to a couple who requests based on the servant's religious feelings.

Refusing to defend a case because the outcome is clear is at their prosecutorial discretion. My AG did the same exact thing. Why waste the resources and taxpayers dollars on a losing cause?

Because it is their damn duty as a public servant...lawyers defend losing cases all the time........All AGs that pulled that stunt........including the US AG should have been fired and disbarred.

The state cannot intrude on a church's 1st Amendment right.

No church has a 1st Amendment right to intrude on the state.

A magistrate in the state I live in refused to marry a gay couple even though homosexual marriage was just declared legal by the courts. So a couple of questions.
1 If a gay couple ask a conservative preacher to marry them can he site his religious beliefs and say no?
2 If the answer to question 1 is yes should a magistrate be able to say no because of his beliefs?
My only fear now that it is legal is that preachers are going to be forced into marrying them even though it is against his beliefs.

The answer to question 1 is yes, no church is required to marry anyone. Just as the Catholic church can refuse to marry non catholics so can a preacher refuse to marry those who don't share his beliefs.

The answer to 2 is no because a magistrate is not a religious office. It is a secular one and so is a marriage contract. If the magistrate refuses he can be fired for failing to perform the duties of his office.

Your fears are groundless.

Something you might want to research though is that Pope Francis is recommending welcoming gays and divorced catholics back into the RCC. He is setting a precedent here that might be adopted by other churches. He has no power to make them accept gays and perform gay marriage but if gays are welcome in catholic churches and shunned by protestants it isn't hard to figure out who the winners and losers are going to be.
Just wondering, what is the prize for winning, in your opinion?

The voters in California will decide whether to fire him or not in about a month.
At the moment, the voters of California look like they will renew his contract by a landslide.

His term and performance as governor has nothing to do with his duty as the states attorney general...........I like a lot about Brown in other ways as do others........even a re-win as attorney general tho wouldnt have said the people liked him on that issue.......he had a duty........and should of had the integrity to step down.

1. Yes.

2. No.*
Your fears are unfounded, as the 14th Amendment jurisprudence the Federal courts' rulings are based upon are binding only on government and other public sector entities, not private citizens or private organizations such as churches.

Moreover, there is no such thing as 'homosexual marriage,' there is only one marriage law available to two equal and consenting adult partners entering into a committed relationship recognized by the state – same- or opposite-sex.

*The issue is not with the government official refusing to marry a same-sex couple because of his beliefs, but one of government officials refusing to issue a marriage license to a same-sex couple seeking to marry, where that couple will more than likely have a member of the clergy or judge/JP already in agreement to perform the ceremony.

Because it is their damn duty as a public servant...lawyers defend losing cases all the time........All AGs that pulled that stunt........including the US AG should have been fired and disbarred.

Be that as it may, these AGs decided that these cases couldn't not be won and used their prosecutorial discretion to not defend them anymore. The law was still in effect but the AG decided defending it was foolish.

Be that as it may, these AGs decided that these cases couldn't not be won and used their prosecutorial discretion to not defend them anymore. The law was still in effect but the AG decided defending it was foolish.
NO what they decided is they didnt agree with the law.........regardless, either way they shouldv'e had the integrity to step down.

His term and performance as governor has nothing to do with his duty as the states attorney general...........I like a lot about Brown in other ways as do others........even a re-win as attorney general tho wouldnt have said the people liked him on that issue.......he had a duty........and should of had the integrity to step down.

The voters disagree with you, and will likely disagree with you again.

The answer to question 1 is yes, no church is required to marry anyone. Just as the Catholic church can refuse to marry non catholics so can a preacher refuse to marry those who don't share his beliefs.

The answer to 2 is no because a magistrate is not a religious office. It is a secular one and so is a marriage contract. If the magistrate refuses he can be fired for failing to perform the duties of his office.

Your fears are groundless.

Something you might want to research though is that Pope Francis is recommending welcoming gays and divorced catholics back into the RCC. He is setting a precedent here that might be adopted by other churches. He has no power to make them accept gays and perform gay marriage but if gays are welcome in catholic churches and shunned by protestants it isn't hard to figure out who the winners and losers are going to be.
Just wondering, what is the prize for winning, in your opinion?

Having a growing or shrinking congregation. In essence if a family can worship together in one church while not all members would be welcome in another it is simple enough to figure out which church the family is going to choose.

And since the RCC has long taken a stance against divorce and gays it has been losing followers whereas certain protestant denominations have been more open and welcoming. The Pope is seeking to redress the problem in the RCC that is costing them members.

A religion that does not accommodate the very real circumstances that people live under won't survive. In order to be relevant it must be prepared to welcome people across the entire spectrum.

I certainly think it is their duty to defend the laws of their state........Jerry Brown, and I believe a number of others that didnt do that should have been fired......or had the integrity to quit. They should also have been disbarred(sp?).
So...you think a prosecutor should continue to prosecute a case when he knows the defendant is innocent?

NO what they decided is they didnt agree with the law.........regardless, either way they shouldv'e had the integrity to step down.
So, you wanted them spending tax money defending the undefendable?

1) No minister or preacher or priest or rabbi, etc. in the U.S. will or can be forced to marry anyone who doesn't meet the criteria of his or her church. Basic separation of church and state.
2) Depends on the law of the state- some states like Colorado have laws which prevent discrimination based upon sexual orientation. If the Magistrate has an issue with marrying those he doesn't approve of- it would be no different than him refusing to marry a couple who were previously divorced because the Magistrate is Catholic- or just refusing to marry Jews- his own personal religious beliefs do not trump the law.

Actually, they do... wherein the action taken by the believer does not strip or otherwise usurp from another, the means to exercise their own rights.

Refusing to marry someone does not infringe upon anyone... . It merely requires them to keep looking for someone to marry them.

See how that works?
So you think if I get a job as a magistrate, I can refuse marriage to a couple because they have something about them I don't like, and I can call it for religious reasons?

Yes..., of course, as long as your reason is sound, thus your reasoning, legitimate. Such as that noted above... .

Forum List

Back