House Republicans Pissing Away Middle-Class Tax Cut?

Oh! and did ya hear? some of the congress peoples want to fund this generosity in part by tacking on user fees to all those who hold mortgages with Fannie and Freddie.. ain't that neat? a tax increase on homeowners.. teee heee heee. :eusa_whistle: sweet!

In a surprise turnabout, Republicans in the House of Representatives are now pushing for a one-year extension of the payroll tax cut and have rejected a short-term compromise struck by Republicans and Democrats in the Senate during the weekend.

House Republicans initially opposed renewing the tax break, which expires on December 31, after expressing skepticism that it would boost the economy as the White House claimed.

House Speaker John Boehner, the top Republican in Congress, said his chamber would vote on Monday and likely reject the Senate bill passed on Saturday, despite it having the blessing of Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell.

Mark Zandi, chief economist at Moody's Analytics, speaking to Reuters Insider, bluntly warned: "I do think recession odds will rise quite significantly early next year if it is not extended."

Payroll tax cut extension stuck in partisan fight | Reuters

I wonder if the Republicans haven't really changed their minds about it - if they're still against it - but don't feel like they can just come right out and say so. This would give them cover - they can say, "Hey, we TRIED to pass it - we just wanted it to be for a whole year, not just two months (or whatever)."

They do want it to be for a year. They don't want to be on that side of this fight again before the elections. They'll take a beating.

What side is "that side"? Are you saying they're really against tax cuts, but they're pretending they're for them?

Oh! and did ya hear? some of the congress peoples want to fund this generosity in part by tacking on user fees to all those who hold mortgages with Fannie and Freddie.. ain't that neat? a tax increase on homeowners.. teee heee heee. :eusa_whistle: sweet!

My understanding is that the fees would apply for buying a home or refinancing one. We're doing this in the middle of a housing crisis, when we've got a huge glut of foreclosed houses on the market? For a temporary tax cut that expires next year and won't really help the unemployment situation that much? Doesn't sound too bright to me.

Left, Right, Middle. It is over! Pop the corn, grab a beer and watch the country implode. We can not stop it now. The television political school has indoctrinated the left to hate the right and the right to hate the left.
Americans are idiots. They will watch the country that use to belong to them squeeze the last sense of hope from the very soul of the people. The people of this nation will never unite even at the ultimate demise of the principles this country was founded on. My friend enjoy your back and forth petty arguments and when the last person gets their pink slip and they are kicked out into the street to savage their fellow man for enough food to stay alive, even then more than likely they will look for someone to blame when the entire time the problem was staring at them in the mirror.
Saving to get the hell off of this nightmare of a continent, however I have a large family. I hope I can survive legally till then. Good Luck. By the way, here is an example of why this country is screwed.
Prime example is the vote and redistricting is set up so you can not even fire those who are destroying this country with the vote, and the politicians want authority over the judicial system. Crazy stuff. Enjoy the show. It will be historical, right up there with the fall of the Roman Empire.

Yeah, I dont think they should be able to gerrymander there districts, they should be held accountable with whomever is in there district the entire time they hold office, no moving district lines and what not. That is how assholes like Byrd held office for 60+ years.

Byrd was a SENATOR for most of those years.

bd_laughatem.gif

My understanding is that the fees would apply for buying a home or refinancing one. We're doing this in the middle of a housing crisis, when we've got a huge glut of foreclosed houses on the market? For a temporary tax cut that expires next year and won't really help the unemployment situation that much? Doesn't sound too bright to me.

no one ever accused demoncrats of being bright..

No, the Democrats' idea was to tax incomes over $1 million. Where do you get your news, anyway?

They said the number one thing is to make sure Obama is a one term president.

How do you fight interference like that. Record number of filibusters. RECORD NUMBER. That really is a party of no and for some to say both sides need to do something really are either ignorant or partisan.

The republicans will do anything to make it so this country is in the hurt locker to make Obama look bad. They vote against things they proposed if Obama says he liked it. That is partisan obstruction at its core.

How do you fight interference like that. Record number of filibusters. RECORD NUMBER. That really is a party of no and for some to say both sides need to do something really are either ignorant or partisan.

The republicans will do anything to make it so this country is in the hurt locker to make Obama look bad. They vote against things they proposed if Obama says he liked it. That is partisan obstruction at its core.

Well I can't get anybody here to give me a straight answer, but it sounds like they pretty much agree - they just don't want the middle class tax break to go through. The rest of it's just window dressing.

The Right said: if the Left will accept a bill loaded down with GOP components (tax cuts and Keystone Pipeline), than we will pass it.

Here is the problem. They Left took the bait and voted in favor of a tax cut.....pipeline bill.

So why did the Right back out?

Because there is one thing they want more than tax cuts.

They want to defeat the Left and Obama so bad that they will even vote against their own ideas. Their war against the Left is more important than their core principals.

If Obama declared that he was going to end Social Security and Medicare tomorrow, the Republican House would oppose him.

You might ask: "But how can they get away with something so insane?"

Answer: look at their voters. They have these people in mental lockdown.

(Their voters have no idea what is going on because they get 100% of their information from government sources, i.e., GOP controlled TV and Radio, e.g., FOX > Hannity > Limbaugh.)

Game over.

Last edited:

Well I can't get anybody here to give me a straight answer, but it sounds like they pretty much agree - they just don't want the middle class tax break to go through. The rest of it's just window dressing.

No. You simply don't listen.

I'm amazed that you care more about keeping people out of work by not authorizing the pipeline than you do for your tax cut that you claim to be so upset over not being passed.

The Right said: if the Left will accept a bill loaded down with GOP components (tax cuts and Keystone Pipeline), than we will pass it.

Here is the problem. They Left took the bait and voted in favor of a tax cut.....pipeline bill.

So why did the Right back out?

Because there is one thing they want more than tax cuts.

They want to prove that government is broken and cannot work. They want to defeat Obama so bad that they will vote against him when he champions their own ideas.

If Obama declared that he was going to end Social Security and Medicare tomorrow, the Republican House would oppose him.

You might ask: "But how can they get away with something so insane?"

Answer: look at their voters. They have these people in mental lockdown.

(Their voters have no idea what is going on because they get 100% of their information from government sources, i.e., GOP controlled TV and Radio, e.g., FOX > Hannity > Limbaugh.

Game over.

GOP hasnt backed out of anything. Obama's two month funding has nothing to do with the tax cut or the pipeline. That bill is still sitting in the Senate and could be voted on tomorrow if Harry Reid chose to vote on it.

In a surprise turnabout, Republicans in the House of Representatives are now pushing for a one-year extension of the payroll tax cut and have rejected a short-term compromise struck by Republicans and Democrats in the Senate during the weekend.

House Republicans initially opposed renewing the tax break, which expires on December 31, after expressing skepticism that it would boost the economy as the White House claimed.

House Speaker John Boehner, the top Republican in Congress, said his chamber would vote on Monday and likely reject the Senate bill passed on Saturday, despite it having the blessing of Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell.

Even some Senate Republicans were attacking House colleagues for opposing the two-month extension.

"The House Republicans' plan to scuttle the deal to help middle-class families is irresponsible and wrong," said Republican Senator Scott Brown.

Mark Zandi, chief economist at Moody's Analytics, speaking to Reuters Insider, bluntly warned: "I do think recession odds will rise quite significantly early next year if it is not extended."

I wonder if the Republicans haven't really changed their minds about it - if they're still against it - but don't feel like they can just come right out and say so. This would give them cover - they can say, "Hey, we TRIED to pass it - we just wanted it to be for a whole year, not just two months (or whatever)."

Good Try but pure BS.

The Truth is House Republicans want a more Responsible Tax Policy. You can not expect the Economy to like Tax Policy in 2 month Increments. It is much more Responsible for us to Pass a longer Term Extension. Which is why House Republicans want.

It's Democrats who are being Irrational, and Partisan on this one kiddies. No matter how you try and Spin it. That and Senate Republicans want to Support the 2 Month Extension Because they like the Idea of this being an Issue again in February of an Election year, but it's not Responsible Policy to Only pass 2 Months. Our Economy needs Stability and Predictability. Not Tax Policy in 2 Month Increments.

No. You simply don't listen.

I'm amazed that you care more about keeping people out of work by not authorizing the pipeline than you do for your tax cut that you claim to be so upset over not being passed.

So you're saying if the Dems had agreed to the pipeline provision, the Pubs would have passed it?

Oh, wait. They DID agree to the pipeline:

A congressional deal to preserve a payroll tax cut for working Americans, approved by the US Senate Saturday, also contains a provision designed to force President Obama's hand on the controversial Keystone XL oil pipeline.

Keystone XL pipeline: a jobs coup for Republicans in tax deal? - CSMonitor.com

WTF is the point of a "short term" compromise? So they can get home for spiked egg nog? Democrats are like a bunch of kids. What's so great about two months of anemic tax cuts? Time for Obama to get his idiot act together and find a reason to oppose the pipe line and get his base organized?

Even some Senate Republicans were attacking House colleagues for opposing the two-month extension.

"The House Republicans' plan to scuttle the deal to help middle-class families is irresponsible and wrong," said Republican Senator Scott Brown.

The Reuters story is 10% fact, 90% editorial.
Here's the deal. The GOP wants at least a one year deal. The Democrats want something one which to run their campaigns.
A short term deal solves nothing. We're right back at it in February. How is that productive?

This is all a game the Democrats are playing and of course we have the progressive media playing it for them. And the Progressive little sheep just eat it up.

funny how Obama tax cuts-Great

Bush tax cuts-bad bad bad

you just can't make this shit up

Seriously! Do you realize that the big generous democrats and their tax cuts are also cutting desperately needed funds to social security and medicare? How will you explain those loses to the generation following this one when they come up lacking? Give as much detail as you can. Social security lost 111 billion dollars last year because of this tax cut. How many years can that go on? doyathink?

I'm really glad you brought this up, because it just goes to show how much of a hypocrite that you are. When it's a Democratic tax cut for working Americans, we can't afford it, but the Bush tax cuts that benefited the wealthiest the most, those were good for America. You are a tool.

I never liked this tax cut and still do not. However, I didn't like the Bush tax cuts either. When politicians just keep cutting taxes, eventually it leads to less revenue, which in turn leads to bigger deficits. It's basic math. It's easily comprehended by all, yet every blithering idiot out there continues to tell us we need more tax cuts to spur the economy. We've done everything backwards and to our own detriment and we keep looking to the same incorrect answer for a solution. It's fucking mind boggling.

We aren't opposing the tax cut. We are simply asking that if you want us to compromise and agree to it, that you need to compromise and agree to the Pipeline.

Not completely unreasonable and it's a win win for everyone except Obama when it comes to donations.

that would only make sense it all money collected from the pipe line be put into the emptied out social security fund. Even that trade is short sighted.

Why, because we can't afford it? Because the Federal Government is not bringing in enough revenue? Because we cut taxes to the lowest level in over 60 years? Because it was supposed to spur the economy and create all this wealth and increase revenues, which it did none of? Why should everyone be against a tax cut Willow?

WTF is the point of a "short term" compromise? So they can get home for spiked egg nog? Democrats are like a bunch of kids. What's so great about two months of anemic tax cuts? Time for Obama to get his idiot act together and find a reason to oppose the pipe line and get his base organized?

The question is do you support the tax cut or not?

If not, why not just come right out and say so?

Why not give it an up or down vote?

Forum List

Back