How Awesome Would the U.S. Economy Be If It Were Set Free from Massive Government Regulations?

I could finally sell you some tainted meat product...

Typical Red Herring. Most regulations have nothing to do with public safety...and a great deal to do with micromanagement/social engineering.

Light bulb ban, anyone?
So tainted meat product can be sold legally since no regulations or product inspection is necessary..currently?

Murder is a crime and inuring people is a crime. Knowingly selling meat that kills people or makes them sick would therefore also be a crime. It's also not a good business decision. Food companies that have sold products that caused sickness or death have gone bankrupt.

The kind of regulations we are discussing here are, for example, the kind that make gasoline canisters totally unusable because of the "safety" mechanism that is now required on the spout. When I have to use such a container, I usually just remove the "safety" cap and dispense from the open container. I purchased a pre-regulation gas can on the internet because I despise the new containers so much.

Typical Red Herring. Most regulations have nothing to do with public safety...and a great deal to do with micromanagement/social engineering.

Light bulb ban, anyone?
So tainted meat product can be sold legally since no regulations or product inspection is necessary..currently?

Your strawman is burning.
So is you doll that is not made of fire retardant material...

Children managed to survive for thousands of years with dolls that were made of flammable materials.

Light bulb ban, anyone?

Murder is a crime and inuring people is a crime. Knowingly selling meat that kills people or makes them sick would therefore also be a crime. It's also not a good business decision. Food companies that have sold products that caused sickness or death have gone bankrupt.

The kind of regulations we are discussing here are, for example, the kind that make gasoline canisters totally unusable because of the "safety" mechanism that is now required on the spout. When I have to use such a container, I usually just remove the "safety" cap and dispense from the open container. I purchased a pre-regulation gas can on the internet because I despise the new containers so much.

That regulation annoyed you, but it didn't hurt business at all.

How long do you think you would remain in business? Selling someone a product you know to be toxic could be considered murder and land you in prison.

Why give anyone the chance? I don't really care much for after-the-fact solutions. You ask how long they'd stay in business? Long enough to sock away a fortune and kill thousands. No thanks.

ROFL! No they would. Large food companies have millions invested in their plant and equipment. That would all get flushed down the toilet over one incident of tainted food. It takes years for a corporation to become a multi-million dollar operation. How much would they earn from selling one batch of tainted food?

You must think business men are really stupid and vile if you believe they would do something like that deliberately.

However, we all know that's exactly what you think.

For some problems there's nothing like prior restraint and the threat of long prison terms. If your solution worked there would have been no need for the regulations in the first place.

There was no need for regulation in the first place. Were people dying in the millions from tainted food prior to the creation of the USDA and the FDA?

Light bulb ban, anyone?

The Last Week How Lawsuits Doomed an American Icon Faces of Lawsuit Abuse

You may never have heard of Blitz USA, but if you have a red portable gasoline can in your garage, chances are you own their product.

At its peak, Blitz USA, the 50-year-old producer of three out of every four portable gas cans nationwide, employed 350 people in the small town of Miami, Oklahoma. But over the last decade, a wave of costly litigation took its toll, and lawsuits finally drove the company out of business.

Around the turn of the century, Blitz came into the crosshairs of the product liability lawyers who saw opportunity in the handful of injuries that came almost exclusively from misuse or miss-storage of the gas can. What started as one lawsuit against Blitz quickly ballooned to more than 40.

The plaintiffs’ cases hinged upon the theory that Blitz cans were liable to combust in the course of use around an open flame.

“The lawyers that are suing us have a theory that the gas vapor, when somebody pours it on a fire, goes up inside the can and the can explodes,” says Blitz CEO Rocky Flick. While Blitz’ experts were never able to replicate the “exploding gas can,” it was clear that misusing a gasoline can by pouring fuel on an open flame could cause serious injuries. “There’s no way to protect somebody pouring gas on a fire,” says Flick.

As the cases mounted and Blitz was forced to empty more than $30 million from its coffers in defense and damage fees, the writing was on the wall. Blitz had to declare bankruptcy, forcing 117 of its remaining employees out of work.

“It was a case where we couldn’t fight them all,” explains Flick. Blitz USA finally closed its doors in August 2012.

The Blitz closing, beyond the loss of good jobs, sent more than 400 people into the Miami, Oklahoma community with no health insurance.

Light bulb ban, anyone?

You can easily(excuse the ancient regime use of vocabulary) Afro-American engineer a new funnel...

How long do you think you would remain in business? Selling someone a product you know to be toxic could be considered murder and land you in prison.

Why give anyone the chance? I don't really care much for after-the-fact solutions. You ask how long they'd stay in business? Long enough to sock away a fortune and kill thousands. No thanks.

ROFL! No they would. Large food companies have millions invested in their plant and equipment. That would all get flushed down the toilet over one incident of tainted food. It takes years for a corporation to become a multi-million dollar operation. How much would they earn from selling one batch of tainted food?

You must think business men are really stupid and vile if you believe they would do something like that deliberately.

For some problems there's nothing like prior restraint and the threat of long prison terms. If your solution worked there would have been no need for the regulations in the first place.

There was no need for regulation in the first place. Were people dying in the millions from tainted food prior to the creation of the USDA and the FDA?

Yes, people were dying. Does it have to be millions before you'll care? People will do all sorts of things before money. I'm not saying all businessmen would do such thing, but if there's a profit to be made by cutting corners, some will do it. No matter how much you wish it to be true, we aren't going to change human nature anytime soon.

Light bulb ban, anyone?

You may never have heard of Blitz USA, but if you have a red portable gasoline can in your garage, chances are you own their product.

At its peak, Blitz USA, the 50-year-old producer of three out of every four portable gas cans nationwide, employed 350 people in the small town of Miami, Oklahoma. But over the last decade, a wave of costly litigation took its toll, and lawsuits finally drove the company out of business.

Around the turn of the century, Blitz came into the crosshairs of the product liability lawyers who saw opportunity in the handful of injuries that came almost exclusively from misuse or miss-storage of the gas can. What started as one lawsuit against Blitz quickly ballooned to more than 40.

The plaintiffs’ cases hinged upon the theory that Blitz cans were liable to combust in the course of use around an open flame.

“The lawyers that are suing us have a theory that the gas vapor, when somebody pours it on a fire, goes up inside the can and the can explodes,” says Blitz CEO Rocky Flick. While Blitz’ experts were never able to replicate the “exploding gas can,” it was clear that misusing a gasoline can by pouring fuel on an open flame could cause serious injuries. “There’s no way to protect somebody pouring gas on a fire,” says Flick.

As the cases mounted and Blitz was forced to empty more than $30 million from its coffers in defense and damage fees, the writing was on the wall. Blitz had to declare bankruptcy, forcing 117 of its remaining employees out of work.

“It was a case where we couldn’t fight them all,” explains Flick. Blitz USA finally closed its doors in August 2012.

The Blitz closing, beyond the loss of good jobs, sent more than 400 people into the Miami, Oklahoma community with no health insurance.
It wasn't regs that killed this company but a lack of regulation upon predatory attorneys that look to sue in any event. Even if it involves the fact that the consumer should have enough intelligence about gasoline uses and how it is flammable...

Light bulb ban, anyone?

What regulation killed their business, exactly?

The story is rather dated since it was three years ago I heard about it since I live 50 miles from Miami, Ok. (pronounced: Miamah, in local use)..

Yes, people were dying. Does it have to be millions before you'll care? People will do all sorts of things before money. I'm not saying all businessmen would do such thing, but if there's a profit to be made by cutting corners, some will do it. No matter how much you wish it to be true, we aren't going to change human nature anytime soon.

A few people may have died from accidents or ignorance, but no businessman ever tried to make a dime by selling food he knew to be tainted. That's pure leftist propaganda.

Yes, you can't change human nature, and the nature of businessmen is that they want to stay in business. They don't want to go bankrupt from lawsuits or from frightening all their customers away. Regulations haven't stopped the occasional case of tainted food, as you well know. These occur because people aren't perfect, not because anyone is trying to make a buck.

Light bulb ban, anyone?

You can easily(excuse the ancient regime use of vocabulary) Afro-American engineer a new funnel...

Your point?

Light bulb ban, anyone?

Your point?
A stick...

Obviously Government is too big and out of control. I know Communists/Progressives will never accept that, but it is the reality. Big Brother is making the process of starting up a small business a living hell. You have to hire a team of Lawyers to walk you through the stacks & stacks of paperwork. The Tax Code needs to be simplified. Average Citizens are completely lost trying to figure it out.

It's time to scrap the IRS as we know it. We need a simple system of taxation. The current system doesn't promote Entrepreneurship. Many Nations have now moved ahead of us as far as encouraging entrepreneurship goes. And encouraging entrepreneurship is what our nation has always been about. We all know Big Brother wants his cut. We all know he's gonna steal from Citizens. But let's make it a more simple system of paying Big Brother off. We need to get back to encouraging small business entrepreneurship. Less Government in our lives is the logical way forward.

Light bulb ban, anyone?

Your point?
A stick...

It's actually illegal to use anything other than the government approved spout.

You still haven't stated what your point is.

A few people may have died from accidents or ignorance, but no businessman ever tried to make a dime by selling food he knew to be tainted. That's pure leftist propaganda.

Yes, you can't change human nature, and the nature of businessmen is that they want to stay in business. They don't want to go bankrupt from lawsuits or from frightening all their customers away. Regulations haven't stopped the occasional case of tainted food, as you well know. These occur because people aren't perfect, not because anyone is trying to make a buck.

All these absolutes just make you look like an idiot. All I'd have to do is find one person who knowingly sold tainted food and your argument goes down the drain. The sales don't even have to be intentional to make regulation important. The few instances we still see don't prove that regulation doesn't work, they're lessons about how bad things could be if there were no regulation at all.

Your point?
A stick...

It's actually illegal to use anything other than the government approved spout.

You still haven't stated what your point is.
That you can change the funnel to be non-compliant.....so much for keepin' it on the down-lo...

Forum List

Back