🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

CDZ How Did the Tax Reform work for you?

I had to pay a little more, it is what it is, and then Wilbur goes and give me an infraction to top it off. Beautimus! :113:

It's tax day in America, and if Democrats had gotten their way in 2017, the vast majority of Americans would be paying higher taxes this year. Every single Congressional Democrat voted against the GOP-passed tax reform law that slashed tax burdens for approximately 80 percent of all households --- including an even higher percentage of middle-income families. The Left has deliberately and repeatedly lied about this reality, with minimal and perfunctory fact-checking from the media. As a result, only a fraction of the country realizes that their overall federal tax bill went down, based on recent polling. It's important to set the record straight, and today is a good opportunity to do so. According to the Treasury Department, fully 90 percent of US workers experienced higher take-home pay in 2018 thanks to the new law. And here are the overall numbers, courtesy of the left-leaning Tax Policy Center:

Looking exclusively at the individual federal income tax changes in the law, TPC found that almost exactly two-thirds of Americans received a tax cut, averaging nearly $2,200 -- including 82 percent of middle-income earners, who averaged a tax cut of $1,050. When all provisions of the law are examined, 80.4 percent of earners received a tax cut, including 91.3 percent of the middle class. Just 4.8 percent of the population saw their taxes go up, a disproportionate number of whom are higher-income earners who itemize deductions and live in high-tax states and jurisdictions. Broadly speaking, 80 percent saw a cut, 15 percent saw no change, and less than five percent saw an increase. This is the data.

So, when you hear or read about some progressive liberal democrat saying the 2017 Tax Cut Bill was a tax hike or that it was a giveaway for the rich, they are in fact lying. BTW, my tax hit went down but my income went up. Worked out well for me, and I'm a retiree on a fixed income.
It's amusing how this is being ignored.

The OP needs to first talk about spending before complaining about taxation.

I paid quite a bit more in taxes

Yeah, but the producers got a break and that’ll come trickling down upon us any day now.

Almost everybody got a break, the Left just won't admit it. And most of the people who didn't are the rich guys, many of whom live in highly taxed states that lost out on the SALT deduction limit. And BTW, what's so God-Damned bad about being a producer? Where do you think most of the jobs come from in this country?

I paid quite a bit more in taxes

Yeah, but the producers got a break and that’ll come trickling down upon us any day now.

Almost everybody got a break, the Left just won't admit it. And most of the people who didn't are the rich guys, many of whom live in highly taxed states that lost out on the SALT deduction limit. And BTW, what's so God-Damned bad about being a producer? Where do you think most of the jobs come from in this country?
Loss of SALT deduction killed me

Faggot Crepius is about to try and compare his sorry self to governnent representatives.

What a POS. You'e a worthless turd, punk!

Pain $8,000 more than last year.
Big PAIN for me. The 2018 tax year was the first time in 18 years that i owed taxes, INSTEAD of getting a refund.
Total difference or “LOSS” to me was $7,000, and my family is MIDDLE CLASS.

The rich get richer at the expense of the middle class families. Thanks Repubs!

Big PAIN for me. The 2018 tax year was the first time in 18 years that i owed taxes, INSTEAD of getting a refund.

Whether you owed or not is irrelevant to how much you paid. Compare to the previous year and you probably paid less. Lots of employers didn't take out enough so people ended up owing a bit even though they paid less taxes in.

Far better to owe a bit than to get a refund anyway...if you get a refund, that only means that you gave the government free use of your money for a year and they give it back at the end of the year but don't pay you a penny of interest on it.

Whether you owed or not is irrelevant to how much you paid. Compare to the previous year and you probably paid less. Lots of employers didn't take out enough so people ended up owing a bit even though they paid less taxes in.

Far better to owe a bit than to get a refund anyway...if you get a refund, that only means that you gave the government free use of your money for a year and they give it back at the end of the year but don't pay you a penny of interest on it.

Nope last year I received a $4900 refund.

The amount of refund you received is irrelevant..the amount you paid in is what matters. Your withholdings were changed at the beginning of the year because of the changes in the tax laws...less money was taken from each of your pay checks throughout the year. A lot of companies didn't withhold enough so that a lot of people ended up owing money even though they paid less taxes...and unless you have some pretty unique tax situations that is true for you as well.

The amount of refund you received is irrelevant..the amount you paid in is what matters. Your withholdings were changed at the beginning of the year because of the changes in the tax laws...less money was taken from each of your pay checks throughout the year. A lot of companies didn't withhold enough so that a lot of people ended up owing money even though they paid less taxes...and unless you have some pretty unique tax situations that is true for you as well.

Made the same amount of money both years, employer held out $18,000 and I paid $8000.

Yes, i overlooked my “xtra paycheck earnings” that did not have sufficient tax withholdings, UNLIKE IN PREVIOUS YEARS.
That explains PARTIALLY why i got no refund, unlike previous 18 years. I prefer getting refunds (another way of saving), and i did get interest on them!

Overall, i paid more tax, perhaps being MIDDLE CLASS, getting a COLA, and losing personal exemptions for all my dependents had something to do with it.

RE: Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (starting 2018)

The biggest benefits went to the rich and "increased the inequality of income," wrote William G. Gale, the co-director of the Urban-Brookings Tax Policy Center. He also said the tax cuts are unlikely to boost long-term growth and could mire the economy in debt.

The rich are getting richer thanks to the tax bill -- and even faster than before.

The top 20 percent of earners around the country have seen a nearly 3 percent gain in after-tax income since the tax cuts were passed a year ago, according to the Tax Policy Center.

After-tax income for middle-class Americans -- those in the middle 60 percent -- increased between 1.2 and 1.9 percent this year.

Meanwhile, income for the lowest 20 percent of earners rose only 0.4 percent after the tax bill.

The tax law is 1 year old -- here are the winners and losers

I paid in slightly more....according to my tax prep person. $400 more isn't a huge deal though.

In perspective, it is a huge deal sense billion dollar corporations paid $0.

They hired about 2 million more people since who now pay taxes...people who were not paying taxes before

This is a much better tax base.

Doubt what I say?

Check with Governor Cuomo.

Jo

Forum List

Back