How do you prepare for different emergencies?

Chuckt

Gold Member
Jul 3, 2013

How do you prepare for different emergencies? Have you thought about it?

I would have to type enough to fill an encyclopedia to answer that.

In a nutshell, I make note of all possible situations that exist, put aside the unlikely ones (like a tsunami or volcano in Ohio,) and gather the items necessary to deal with as close to a worst-case scenario as possible.

I keep enough food and beverages on hand to survive for quite a while, along with medical and other supplies. Not because I am expecting society to break down any day now, but because it is always prudent to be prepared for the unexpected natural disaster.

"Survivalists" actually hope society will break down so they can freely carry out their psychopathic desires. They openly wish for everything to go to shit so they can get to work shooting darkies and hippies.

Doomsday people, such as those who think Planet X or Jesus is coming any day now, are another breed. These are people who want to see other people suffer while they watch. Particularly the ones who make fun of them.

Last edited:
we have:

wood heat
gravity feed water
we keep a year ahead of fire wood

we have dried foods etc....

i can manage alone for as long as i must....

i wont name the weapons....no need to

yes defiant you can prepare...we have the occasional blizzard or flood...i am ready for both....

Generator, and lots of canned goods and bottled water.

We have a generator for sump pumps and backup electricity but we use it mostly for hurricane season. Then I started asking myself what I should do if the power went out during the winter and if we would have heat. I looked at a bunch of commercial heaters large enough to heat a garage and they were over 2,000 watts. I had been looking at a lot of space heaters on the internet and people started telling me they were dangerous and space heaters began to sell out in the stores. We had eight inches of snow followed by a quarter of an inch of ice and the power went out for three days. All the hotels and motels sold out so where do you put a half a million people that are looking to get warm? People could suffer frostbite staying in their homes and some of them stayed in their homes. We went somewhere warm.

My co-worker had a 150 quart cooler and he took it over to our boss' house and she emptied out her freezer and her refrigerator and put the cooler in her backyard on top of the snow with only two bags of ice on top of her frozen food and groceries and everything froze. The boss' power was out for four days.

So I know a licensed builder and a qualified electrician to ask about power transfer switches and when you buy a generator, you have to know that you have to buy a transfer switch to match your generator. Most people should buy a 5,500 watt or larger transfer switch and generator or the cords and voltages may not match the transfer switch you want to get and your house may be under powered. I researched and ask so many questions about generators that I know more than I want to know and now I'm going to ask an electrician to make sure.

We also have lots of flashlights which generate more brightness than regular flashlights. One of our neighbors uses and recommends glow sticks because they are safer than candles.

Do you know where you can locate everything in an emergency? It is good to be prepared.

Forum List

Back