How many more years will 13% of the population allow us to celebrate the 4th of July?

Reminder to mods, before you hyperventilate and race to send this thread to the thread cemetary :
"Talk about anything...none of it matters here."

Just curious to what others think.

My opinion is, we likely are going to soon be seeing the black community pressuring corporations, employers, etc, to become "woke" when it comes to the 4th.
They'll be saying that celebrating the 4th is white supremacy, and they must stop being part of the show.

Thoughts?

Why do you think they are calling it Juneteenth National Independence Day?

Juneteenth was about Emancipation and not National Independence, and even if they did want to convolute things and try to make a connection,
Why is it not January 1st when the Emancipation Proclamation was issued, or December 6th when the 13th Amendment was ratified?

Why is it not January 1st when the Emancipation Proclamation was issued, or December 6th when the 13th Amendment was ratified?
Does it matter so much ?

Should we celebrate July 4 when the Declaration was signed or August when it was delivered to the British?
Isn’t our real Independence when Cornwallis surrendered to Washington or Sept 3 1783 when the Treaty of Paris was signed officially ending the war?

Does it matter so much ?

Should we celebrate July 4 when the Declaration was signed or August when it was delivered to the British?
Isn’t our real Independence when Cornwallis surrendered to Washington or Sept 3 1783 when the Treaty of Paris was signed officially ending the war?

Dang Rightwinger ... You know me well enough.
I used question marks in that post which is something I rarely do.
I don't tend to attempt to obfuscate a discussion baiting people with unrelated bullshit like you do.
We already have a National Independence Day.

You haven't answered the question.

What exactly does Juneteenth have to do with National Independence?
Then perhaps we can discuss what day I may or may not feel is more or less appropriate.

Last edited:
Does it matter so much ?

Dang Rightwinger ... You know me well enough.
I used question marks in that post which is something I rarely do.
I don't tend to attempt to obfuscate a discussion baiting people with unrelated bullshit like you do.

You haven't answered the question.

What exactly does Juneteenth have to do with National Independence?
Then perhaps we can discuss what day I may or may not feel is more or less appropriate.

Juneteenth was the official end of the practice of slavery in this country

I know what the day represents, defined it my original post, and have no problem with people celebrating their Emancipation.
But how about you answer the question and tell me exactly what that has to do with National Independence.

If you cannot ... Just say so.
No need to keep avoiding the question.

I know what the day represents, defined it my original post, and have no problem with people celebrating their Emancipation.
But how about you answer the question and tell me exactly what that has to do with National Independence.

If you cannot ... Just say so.
No need to keep avoiding the question.

It doesnt represent national independence but independence of a major portion of our society that was being oppressed.

We got it wrong when we founded our nation and this helped make it right. Our nation was never truly independent while we held four million people in slavery

It doesnt represent national independence but independence of a major portion of our society that was being oppressed.

We got it wrong when we founded our nation and this helped make it right. Our nation was never truly independent while we held four million people in slavery

I know what the day stands for ... I was just wondering why they named it Juneteenth National Independence Day,
When we already have a National Independence Day less than a month from Juneteenth.

We were an Independent Nation with all of our faults, well before the Slaves were ever Emancipated.

I know what the day stands for ... I was just wondering why they named it Juneteenth National Independence Day,
When we already have a National Independence Day less than a month from Juneteenth.

We were an Independent Nation with all of our faults, well before the Slaves were ever Emancipated.

Because blacks today do not want to be part of the greater whole. Everything is about race, and they want to be treated differently and they want their own holidays.

Forum List

Back