How much does it cost to drill for water

Michelle420

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2013
The Bee Hive State
How much does it cost to drill for well water?

I found a house I want but it says this: "as is" condition, property has no domestic water, well will have to be drilled.

The house is real cheap and a bargain depending on how much a well costs.
:eusa_whistle:

I found a house I want but it says this: "as is" condition, property has no domestic water, well will have to be drilled.

Where did they get water from before? Was there a well that went bad?

A cost of a well depends on the depth required as well as if it is from a pressurized aquifier or requires pumping. Does the house even have indoor plumbing already?

A cost of a well depends on the depth required as well as if it is from a pressurized aquifier or requires pumping. Does the house even have indoor plumbing already?

I am not sure Marty I can send you a link to the property, I am just afraid someone will steal it cuz it's a bargain. :lol:

I don't know anything about well water :dunno:

I am not sure Marty I can send you a link to the property, I am just afraid someone will steal it cuz it's a bargain. :lol:

basically a drill company comes in and drills down to the water table or though a impermeable layer to an aquifier. they add some crushed stone for support and filtering, and then install a perforated pipe and a pump or a flow controller, seal the hole, and done.

You then have to test the water to see if it meets regs. The wikipedia article isnt bad.

Water well - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Costs can range from A couple thousand to 10's of thousands depending on the complexity.

basically a drill company comes in and drills down to the water table or though a impermeable layer to an aquifier. they add some crushed stone for support and filtering, and then install a perforated pipe and a pump or a flow controller, seal the hole, and done.

You then have to test the water to see if it meets regs. The wikipedia article isnt bad.

Costs can range from A couple thousand to 10's of thousands depending on the complexity.

Ok so you wouldn't be able to tell by looking at a photo how much it would cost?

So I really need some expert at this board who does it for a living.

Depends on whether it's a deep well or a bored well. I had never heard of a bored well until I bought my house here in NC. I have a bored well. It's only 39 feet deep and relies on rain runoff. Deep wells can be hundreds of feet deep. I believe drillers charge by the foot. So if you can get away with a bored well it would be much cheaper. We have had no problems with running low. Been here 18 years.

Ok so you wouldn't be able to tell by looking at a photo how much it would cost?

I deal mostly in wastewater, and big wastewater plants, so not an expert, just know the basics. Hopefully someone else deals with these more often.

Don't know about your area. A well in these parts is $5,000 - $8,000. Find a company that is in the business and get an estimate.

Last edited:

Don't know about your area. A well in these parts is $5,000 - $8,000. Find a company that is in the business and get an estimate.

Thanks Sunshine, that's not bad if that is what it would cost for this house.

Depends on whether it's a deep well or a bored well. I had never heard of a bored well until I bought my house here in NC. I have a bored well. It's only 39 feet deep and relies on rain runoff. Deep wells can be hundreds of feet deep. I believe drillers charge by the foot. So if you can get away with a bored well it would be much cheaper. We have had no problems with running low. Been here 18 years.

Thanks, that's good information.

I live in South Alabama. Here, you could drill a well yourself and install a pump hooked to existing plumbing for under $500. If you are in Connecticut where you need to drill through rock, you're talking somewhere in the area of $10,000 to $15,000 for a contractor.

I'm contemplating putting in a second well for irrigation and a small pond here. I will likely start the project in a month or so, more to prove I can, than for need.
My existing well is 40 feet deep and the water table here is at 18 to 20 feet. Back when I did residential water treatment in Connecticut, I contracted 2 wells that were 1,200 and 1,400 feet deep on the same property. That guy had roughly $100,000 in his domestic water and irrigation system.

Thanks Sunshine, that's not bad if that is what it would cost for this house.

If it is a good house, that could be why it is so cheap. My house would have brought way more than I paid, but the deck on it was falling down. The place looked horrible on the outside and had no curb appeal at all. Inside, it had never been lived in and was like going back to the 70s in a time capsule. I had a new deck built and took out all the 70s shit. I expect my children will do quite well on it when I'm gone.

If I were you, I would get an estimate first before making a decision.

I live in South Alabama. Here, you could drill a well yourself and install a pump hooked to existing plumbing for under $500. If you are in Connecticut where you need to drill through rock, you're talking somewhere in the area of $10,000 to $15,000 for a contractor.

I'm contemplating putting in a second well for irrigation and a small pond here. I will likely start the project in a month or so, more to prove I can, than for need.
My existing well is 40 feet deep and the water table here is at 18 to 20 feet. Back when I did residential water treatment in Connecticut, I contracted 2 wells that were 1,200 and 1,400 feet deep on the same property. That guy had roughly $100,000 in his domestic water and irrigation system.

Yeah I can't put that kind of money into it, maybe that's why it's so cheap.

Yeah I can't put that kind of money into it, maybe that's why it's so cheap.

Get that estimate. Then you will know for sure. I doubt they will charge you for it. I have put $20,000 into my house and increased the value by at least $60,000.

Best starting point is to ask home owners near the property how deep their well is.
If you're drilling through 150 feet of rock, figure 10 or 12 grand. 40 feet of sand is a one day job with far less sophisticated equipment and much cheaper pump and materials. Figure 3 grand for someone to come in, drill the hole and install a pump.

Best starting point is to ask home owners near the property how deep their well is.
If you're drilling through 150 feet of rock, figure 10 or 12 grand. 40 feet of sand is a one day job with far less sophisticated equipment and much cheaper pump and materials. Figure 3 grand for someone to come in, drill the hole and install a pump.

3 grand ain't bad, but 30 grand :eusa_hand:

Find some well drillers in the area. Give them a call and tell them the neighborhood the house is in. They should be able to give you a ballpark estimate of what it will take to drill a well.

I don't understand how an obviously lived in home doesn't have a well or access to city water.

There are still more than a few around here that do not. Many also don't have bathrooms. I had a patient who had no way to bathe except to use the creek. He had neither. Imagine what those winter office visits were like for me! LOL. Summers weren't so bad. The primary care MDs would always jump me to get him to do something about his hygiene. I had to just tell them psychiatry is medicine, not magic.

Forum List

Back