How much of your success was because of Government? ....

Steve Jobs made a fortune selling Apple products to your local schools, folks.

Most fortune 500 companies make a LOT of money selling to governments.

Correct. Government is incapable of producing anything. They must rely on outside sources. Name something the government invented for the good/the benefit of the masses ?

Oh and to the second part of your post... The internet comes to mind... That thing you're using right now to have this conversation...

That was Al Gore and he did it on his own.... :thup:

It looks like the President is now using the same rhetoric that the fully clothed Marxist Elizabeth Warren is using, "no one made it on their own, including Steve Jobs". I'm just curious to know on a percentage basis, how much did Government have to do with your success?

I'll be generous and say maybe 15% for me, what say you?
-Well, I was born in a hospital that is tax-exempt (read: government support), For a time I attended public school (read: government support), I recieved fine traning and life skills courtesy of the US military (read:government support), I had part of of my higher education costs paid through student loans and vet benefits (read:government support). I drive to work daily using the interstate road system (read:government support)...

Where'd government get the resources to do all those wonderful things?....
--Well, from tax-payers like me, and I'm not complaining. I liked being born in a hospital, instead of under a tree. I appreciate having had a good school to go to. It was an honor to serve in the military and get my vet benefits and student loan. And I'm glad to have decent roads to get to work. I don't think taxes are bad nor are the things they pay for. What's your point?

-Well, I was born in a hospital that is tax-exempt (read: government support), For a time I attended public school (read: government support), I recieved fine traning and life skills courtesy of the US military (read:government support), I had part of of my higher education costs paid through student loans and vet benefits (read:government support). I drive to work daily using the interstate road system (read:government support)...

--Well, from tax-payers like me, and I'm not complaining. I liked being born in a hospital, instead of under a tree. I appreciate having had a good school to go to. It was an honor to serve in the military and get my vet benefits and student loan. And I'm glad to have decent roads to get to work. I don't think taxes are bad nor are the things they pay for. What's your point?

I don't totally disagree, if you don't know the point, you haven't read through the thread.......

I don't totally disagree, if you don't know the point, you haven't read through the thread.......
-I've read through the thread; maybe I'm just being dense. I do that well some times :)

-I've read through the thread; maybe I'm just being dense. I do that well some times :)

Ok, cliff notes .... :cool:

My point in particular is i don't like politicians like Elizabeth Warren and Obama waving their condescending fingers at successful taxpayers with their "you couldn't have done it without me" nonsense. Government only contributed a small percentage to my success to which i've paid and am still paying them quite handsomely for.

Last edited:

Correct. Government is incapable of producing anything. They must rely on outside sources. Name something the government invented for the good/the benefit of the masses ?

The government is fully capable of producing products. However, they are prohibited by law from openly competing with private industry

Things the government invented

The Internet
GPS
Jet Aircraft
Medical advances

The government is fully capable of producing products. However, they are prohibited by law from openly competing with private industry

The Internet
GPS
Jet Aircraft
Medical advances

Government is comprised of people.....people are those that invesnt things...produce things...start businesses....

The reason government can not start a business is government does not have its own capital.

But are they able to? As long as it is people with minds of reason, of course.

It is a rediculous statement.

My point in particular is i don't like politicians like Elizabeth Warren and Obama waving their condescending fingers at successful taxpayers with their "you couldn't have done it without me" nonsense. Government only contributed a small percentage to my success to which i've paid and am still paying them quite handsomely for.

The point is, no business operates solely on their own without the support of our society (government)

Did you train your employees to read and write and mathematics?
How does product get into and out of your facility?
Who provides security and fire protection
Who protects you from unfair competition?
Who protects your patents or copyright?

Business profits significantly more from our taxes and have an obligation to pay for it

The Internet
GPS
Jet Aircraft
Medical advances

Government is comprised of people.....people are those that invesnt things...produce things...start businesses....

The reason government can not start a business is government does not have its own capital.

Back in WWII and up to the early 60s, the government had significant manufacturing capability. It was considered part of our National security infrastructure. Starting in the 60s, there was significant pressure to divest the government of it's ability to compete with industry.
Now it is primarily oversight of private contractors who provide goods and services

Has anyone on the right thought through how cutting federal spending would truly effect the economy? What impact on economic activity would result after the federal government stops spending on not only the entitlement programs, but all the other ancillary spending?

It's been established that the right does not consider the true impact on those receiving entitlement spending. Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, WIC, and HUD spending would severely impact those depending on such services. But at the very least, the Righties would stop having all those tax dollars confiscated from them unwillingly. That should make them so satisfied. Don't consider the poverty left in their wake, only the notion that they might save $.65 of every tax dollar unjustly confiscated by an uncaring and benevolent federal government.

Maybe, they can use that $.65 to off set the jump in gasoline prices oil companies charge during the peak summer driving season!

The point is, no business operates solely on their own without the support of our society (government)

Business profits significantly more from our taxes and have an obligation to pay for it

Now society = government? .....:lol:

Businesses are already overpaying for it, but it's still not enough for the government saviors.....

Oh and to the second part of your post... The internet comes to mind... That thing you're using right now to have this conversation...

That was Al Gore and he did it on his own.... :thup:

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... Now I get it... You're an idiot, huh?

:eusa_doh:

Has anyone on the right thought through how cutting federal spending would truly effect the economy? What impact on economic activity would result after the federal government stops spending on not only the entitlement programs, but all the other ancillary spending?

It's been established that the right does not consider the true impact on those receiving entitlement spending. Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, WIC, and HUD spending would severely impact those depending on such services. But at the very least, the Righties would stop having all those tax dollars confiscated from them unwillingly. That should make them so satisfied. Don't consider the poverty left in their wake, only the notion that they might save $.65 of every tax dollar unjustly confiscated by an uncaring and benevolent federal government.

Maybe, they can use that $.65 to off set the jump in gasoline prices oil companies charge during the peak summer driving season!

No sir, they sure don't. To the modern conservative, you pay your taxes and *POOF!* That money is gone forever, consumed by some three-headed scary ogre that they keep having their moms check under the bed for.

Oh, how they'll prattle on about lowering taxes to keep more money in the private sector and stimulate the economy, but are either unable to see or unwilling to concede that government spending has a higher stimulative effect than tax cuts for the wealthy every day of the week.

Now society = government? .....:lol:

Businesses are already overpaying for it, but it's still not enough for the government saviors.....

Yes...society is represented by our government
They are us

Business does not come close to paying for the benefits they receive from our society

No sir, they sure don't. To the modern conservative, you pay your taxes and *POOF!* That money is gone forever, consumed by some three-headed scary ogre that they keep having their moms check under the bed for.

Oh, how they'll prattle on about lowering taxes to keep more money in the private sector and stimulate the economy, but are either unable to see or unwilling to concede that government spending has a higher stimulative effect than tax cuts for the wealthy every day of the week.
During that (prattling) on about lowering taxes to keep more money in the private sector and stimulate the economy, why don't they consider the vacuum effect Herman Cain's 9-9-9 plan would have?

If the wealthy and the corporations desperately need their money to provide jobs, and as the wealthy and corporations are currently sitting atop mountains of cash and yet failed to create jobs anywhere but Asia and Latin America, how would sucking tax dollars from the Middle Class via a 9% sales tax help the economy?

Consumer spending drives this economy. Taking disposable income from those least able to withstand it would cripple our prospects at economic growth like the polio virus crippled children in the twentieth century.

The Internet
GPS
Jet Aircraft
Medical advances

Back in WWII and up to the early 60s, the government had significant manufacturing capability. It was considered part of our National security infrastructure. Starting in the 60s, there was significant pressure to divest the government of it's ability to compete with industry.
Now it is primarily oversight of private contractors who provide goods and services

And let us not forget when they deemed they could manufacture the steel for Tanks aircraft and navy vessels and it would cost less.....how many millions lost during that venture that never came to fruition when they realized it would cost them TWICE as much to manufacture?

The Internet
GPS
Jet Aircraft
Medical advances

No way Solyndra could have survived without the government... :thup:

Forum List

Back