How Old Were They On July 4, 1776?

Synthaholic

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2010
I am a God on this message board.
Ages of Revolution: How Old Were They on July 4, 1776?

Ages of Revolution: How Old Were They on July 4, 1776? - Journal of the American Revolution

It’s a simple question — perhaps so basic that it’s been overlooked. How old were the key participants of the American Revolution?

Authors often reveal the age of a particular soldier, politician or other main character in books about the Revolution, but I routinely find myself wondering about their peers at the same time. As it turns out, many Founding Fathers were less than 40 years old in 1776 with several qualifying as Founding Teenagers and Twentysomethings. And though the average age of the signers of the Declaration of Independence was 44, more than a dozen of them were 35 or younger!

“We tend to see them as much older than they were,” said David McCullough in a 2005 speech. “Because we’re seeing them in portraits by Gilbert Stuart and others when they were truly the Founding Fathers — when they were president or chief justice of the Supreme Court and their hair, if it hadn’t turned white, was powdered white. We see the awkward teeth. We see the elder statesmen. At the time of the Revolution, they were all young. It was a young man’s–young woman’s cause.”

• Andrew Jackson, 9
  • (Major) Thomas Young, 12
  • Deborah Sampson, 15
  • James Armistead, 15
  • Sybil Ludington, 15
  • Joseph Plumb Martin, 15
  • Peter Salem, 16*
  • Peggy Shippen, 16
  • Marquis de Lafayette, 18
  • James Monroe, 18
  • Charles Pinckney, 18
  • Henry Lee III, 20
  • Gilbert Stuart, 20
  • John Trumbull, 20
  • Aaron Burr, 20
  • John Marshall, 20
  • Nathan Hale, 21
  • Banastre Tarleton, 21
  • Alexander Hamilton, 21*
  • John Laurens, 21
  • Benjamin Tallmadge, 22
  • Robert Townsend, 22
  • George Rodgers Clark, 23
  • David Humphreys, 23
  • Gouveneur Morris, 24
  • Betsy Ross, 24
  • William Washington, 24
  • James Madison, 25
  • Henry Knox, 25
  • John Andre, 26
  • Thomas Lynch, Jr., 26^
  • Edward Rutledge, 26^
  • Abraham Woodhull, 26
  • Isaiah Thomas, 27
  • George Walton, 27*^
  • John Paul Jones, 28
  • Bernardo de Galvez, 29
  • Thomas Heyward, Jr., 29^
  • Robert R. Livingston, 29
  • John Jay, 30
  • Tadeusz Kosciuszko, 30
  • Benjamin Rush, 30^
  • Abigail Adams, 31
  • John Barry, 31
  • Elbridge Gerry, 31^
  • Casimir Pulaski, 31
  • Anthony Wayne, 31
  • Joseph Brant, 33
  • Nathanael Greene, 33
  • Thomas Jefferson, 33^
  • Thomas Stone, 33*^
  • William Hooper, 34^
  • Arthur Middleton, 34^
  • James Wilson, 34*^
  • Benedict Arnold, 35
  • Samuel Chase, 35^
  • Thomas Knowlton, 35
  • William Paca, 35^
  • John Penn, 35^
  • Hercules Mulligan, 36
  • Andrew Pickens, 36
  • Haym Solomon, 36
  • John Sullivan, 36
  • George Clymer, 37^
  • Charles Cornwallis, 37
  • Thomas Nelson, Jr., 37^
  • Ethan Allen, 38
  • Charles Carroll, 38^
  • King George III, 38
  • Francis Hopkinson, 38^
  • Carter Braxton, 39^
  • George Clinton, 39
  • John Hancock, 39^
  • Daniel Morgan, 39
  • Thomas Paine, 39
  • Patrick Henry, 40
  • Enoch Poor, 40
  • John Adams, 40^
  • Daniel Boone, 41
  • William Floyd, 41^
  • Button Gwinnett, 41*^
  • John Lamb, 41*
  • Francis Lightfoot Lee, 41^
  • Paul Revere, 41
  • Thomas Sumter, 41
  • Robert Morris, 42^
  • Thomas McKean, 42^
  • George Read, 42^
  • John Dickinson, 43
  • John Glover, 43
  • Benjamin Edes, 43
  • Samuel Huntington, 44^
  • Richard Henry Lee, 44^
  • Charles Lee, 44
  • Francis Marion, 44
  • Lord North, 44
  • George Washington, 44
  • Joseph Galloway, 45
  • Robert Treat Paine, 45^
  • Friedrich von Steuben, 45
  • Richard Stockton, 45^
  • Martha Washington, 45
  • William Williams, 45^
  • (Dr.) Thomas Young, 45*
  • Josiah Bartlett, 46^
  • Henry Clinton, 46
  • Joseph Hewes, 46^
  • William Howe, 46
  • George Ross, 46^
  • William Whipple, 46^
  • Caesar Rodney, 47^
  • John Stark, 47
  • Mercy Otis Warren, 47
  • William Ellery, 48^
  • Horatio Gates, 48
  • Artemas Ward, 48
  • Oliver Wolcott, 49^
  • Abraham Clark, 50^
  • Benjamin Harrison, 50^
  • George Mason, 50
  • Lewis Morris, 50^
  • Lord Stirling, 50
  • George Wythe, 50*^
  • Guy Carleton, 51
  • John Morton, 51*^
  • Comte de Rochambeau, 51
  • Lyman Hall, 52^
  • James Rivington, 52*
  • Samuel Adams, 53^
  • Comte de Grasse, 53
  • John Witherspoon, 53^
  • John Burgoyne, 54
  • Johann de Kalb, 55
  • Roger Sherman, 55^
  • Thomas Gage, 56
  • James Smith, 56^
  • Israel Putnam, 58
  • Comte de Vergennes, 58
  • Lewis Nicola, 59*
  • George Germain, 60
  • Philip Livingston, 60^
  • George Taylor, 60*^
  • Matthew Thornton, 62^
  • Francis Lewis, 63^
  • John Hart, 65*^
  • Stephen Hopkins, 69^
  • Benjamin Franklin, 70^
  • Samuel Whittemore, 81
*Evidence may exist that this age is not precise, or only a birth year is known
^Signers of the Declaration of Independence (average signer age was 44)

It just further demonstrates how serious those people took the founding of this country and the ideas that they had.

These people didn't "feel" their way to a new country. They used their brains and thought it through.

BTW, less than 35% of the population actually was for seperating from England at the time, IIRC. About half the population didn't care one or the other prior to the actually starting. About 20% was loyal to England.

Young as they may have been, then, they were all playing with a full deck, in contrast with now, where most of the today's youth sees the world through a marijuana and/or cocaine induced haze. Even Obama is not immune from that. Didn't he show up stoned for his first presidential debate with Mitt Romney in Denver? Oh, I know, it was the air, the altitude. Mebbe thats also why we heard that fab staterment "Let it be known that today is the day the oceans stopped rising and the planet began to heal" during his acceptance speech in that same city in 2008. The air. The air.

Contrast the responses to the 9/11 attacks and the attack on Pearl Harbor. The day after Pearl men were lined up for blocks at the military recruiters volunteering for service. In the days after 9/11 the people burned candles and incense in Central Park. No obvious changes in humans neural circuitry have been detected to have occurred over the last seventy years, the only tangible difference is the prolific use, today, of certain chemicals for recreational use and, of course, who can avoid considering the abundant use of alprazalalazam in today's society. I wonder where humanity would be today if Lucy the Australopithicene had been able to pop a pill that allowed her to avoid becoming too overly concerned about that leopard constantly staring at her with fixed gaze crouched low behind the bush fifty yards away? What do you suppose is a more common morning occurrence today, putting a teaspoonful of sugar in that morning coffee or swallowing a couple of "Mother's Little helpers" to get you through the day? And we condescendingly laugh at the notion that Rome was possibly brought down by the careless use of lead to supply the city's residents drinking water?

Are you suggesting that a 20-30 year old young man, who grew up doing hard labor (such as farming), and spent their time in the library (researching the old fashioned way) reflects the spoiled and drug hazed 20-30 generation of today, that addicted to video games on their iphone?

Last edited:
44 was older middle aged in 1776, the equivalent of in the sixties today.

However, there were many younger individuals (Hamilton, Burr, Monroe, Madison, and so forth) that benefitted from their association with their seniors.

Ages of Revolution: How Old Were They on July 4, 1776? - Journal of the American Revolution

It’s a simple question — perhaps so basic that it’s been overlooked. How old were the key participants of the American Revolution?

Authors often reveal the age of a particular soldier, politician or other main character in books about the Revolution, but I routinely find myself wondering about their peers at the same time. As it turns out, many Founding Fathers were less than 40 years old in 1776 with several qualifying as Founding Teenagers and Twentysomethings. And though the average age of the signers of the Declaration of Independence was 44, more than a dozen of them were 35 or younger!

“We tend to see them as much older than they were,” said David McCullough in a 2005 speech. “Because we’re seeing them in portraits by Gilbert Stuart and others when they were truly the Founding Fathers — when they were president or chief justice of the Supreme Court and their hair, if it hadn’t turned white, was powdered white. We see the awkward teeth. We see the elder statesmen. At the time of the Revolution, they were all young. It was a young man’s–young woman’s cause.”

• Andrew Jackson, 9
  • (Major) Thomas Young, 12
  • Deborah Sampson, 15
  • James Armistead, 15
  • Sybil Ludington, 15
  • Joseph Plumb Martin, 15
  • Peter Salem, 16*
  • Peggy Shippen, 16
  • Marquis de Lafayette, 18
  • James Monroe, 18
  • Charles Pinckney, 18
  • Henry Lee III, 20
  • Gilbert Stuart, 20
  • John Trumbull, 20
  • Aaron Burr, 20
  • John Marshall, 20
  • Nathan Hale, 21
  • Banastre Tarleton, 21
  • Alexander Hamilton, 21*
  • John Laurens, 21
  • Benjamin Tallmadge, 22
  • Robert Townsend, 22
  • George Rodgers Clark, 23
  • David Humphreys, 23
  • Gouveneur Morris, 24
  • Betsy Ross, 24
  • William Washington, 24
  • James Madison, 25
  • Henry Knox, 25
  • John Andre, 26
  • Thomas Lynch, Jr., 26^
  • Edward Rutledge, 26^
  • Abraham Woodhull, 26
  • Isaiah Thomas, 27
  • George Walton, 27*^
  • John Paul Jones, 28
  • Bernardo de Galvez, 29
  • Thomas Heyward, Jr., 29^
  • Robert R. Livingston, 29
  • John Jay, 30
  • Tadeusz Kosciuszko, 30
  • Benjamin Rush, 30^
  • Abigail Adams, 31
  • John Barry, 31
  • Elbridge Gerry, 31^
  • Casimir Pulaski, 31
  • Anthony Wayne, 31
  • Joseph Brant, 33
  • Nathanael Greene, 33
  • Thomas Jefferson, 33^
  • Thomas Stone, 33*^
  • William Hooper, 34^
  • Arthur Middleton, 34^
  • James Wilson, 34*^
  • Benedict Arnold, 35
  • Samuel Chase, 35^
  • Thomas Knowlton, 35
  • William Paca, 35^
  • John Penn, 35^
  • Hercules Mulligan, 36
  • Andrew Pickens, 36
  • Haym Solomon, 36
  • John Sullivan, 36
  • George Clymer, 37^
  • Charles Cornwallis, 37
  • Thomas Nelson, Jr., 37^
  • Ethan Allen, 38
  • Charles Carroll, 38^
  • King George III, 38
  • Francis Hopkinson, 38^
  • Carter Braxton, 39^
  • George Clinton, 39
  • John Hancock, 39^
  • Daniel Morgan, 39
  • Thomas Paine, 39
  • Patrick Henry, 40
  • Enoch Poor, 40
  • John Adams, 40^
  • Daniel Boone, 41
  • William Floyd, 41^
  • Button Gwinnett, 41*^
  • John Lamb, 41*
  • Francis Lightfoot Lee, 41^
  • Paul Revere, 41
  • Thomas Sumter, 41
  • Robert Morris, 42^
  • Thomas McKean, 42^
  • George Read, 42^
  • John Dickinson, 43
  • John Glover, 43
  • Benjamin Edes, 43
  • Samuel Huntington, 44^
  • Richard Henry Lee, 44^
  • Charles Lee, 44
  • Francis Marion, 44
  • Lord North, 44
  • George Washington, 44
  • Joseph Galloway, 45
  • Robert Treat Paine, 45^
  • Friedrich von Steuben, 45
  • Richard Stockton, 45^
  • Martha Washington, 45
  • William Williams, 45^
  • (Dr.) Thomas Young, 45*
  • Josiah Bartlett, 46^
  • Henry Clinton, 46
  • Joseph Hewes, 46^
  • William Howe, 46
  • George Ross, 46^
  • William Whipple, 46^
  • Caesar Rodney, 47^
  • John Stark, 47
  • Mercy Otis Warren, 47
  • William Ellery, 48^
  • Horatio Gates, 48
  • Artemas Ward, 48
  • Oliver Wolcott, 49^
  • Abraham Clark, 50^
  • Benjamin Harrison, 50^
  • George Mason, 50
  • Lewis Morris, 50^
  • Lord Stirling, 50
  • George Wythe, 50*^
  • Guy Carleton, 51
  • John Morton, 51*^
  • Comte de Rochambeau, 51
  • Lyman Hall, 52^
  • James Rivington, 52*
  • Samuel Adams, 53^
  • Comte de Grasse, 53
  • John Witherspoon, 53^
  • John Burgoyne, 54
  • Johann de Kalb, 55
  • Roger Sherman, 55^
  • Thomas Gage, 56
  • James Smith, 56^
  • Israel Putnam, 58
  • Comte de Vergennes, 58
  • Lewis Nicola, 59*
  • George Germain, 60
  • Philip Livingston, 60^
  • George Taylor, 60*^
  • Matthew Thornton, 62^
  • Francis Lewis, 63^
  • John Hart, 65*^
  • Stephen Hopkins, 69^
  • Benjamin Franklin, 70^
  • Samuel Whittemore, 81
*Evidence may exist that this age is not precise, or only a birth year is known
^Signers of the Declaration of Independence (average signer age was 44)

Different times weren't they...and HERE you SIT IN YOUR COMFY HOME...with amenities unimagined BY all of them...

What A certain JERK you are. But then HARD WORK they ALL had to do means zero to a JERK on a mission to destroy ALL they stood for...Principle...Which YOU have NONE of.

*I* will take them over YOU any day of the friggin' week asswipe.

Different times weren't they...and HERE you SIT IN YOUR COMFY HOME...with amenities unimagined BY all of them...

What A certain JERK you are. But then HARD WORK they ALL had to do means zero to a JERK on a mission to destroy ALL they stood for...Principle...Which YOU have NONE of.

I'd bet none of them would have been Commie-lovers like you:

I am rooting for a known Communist KGB acolyte from the Cold War...that I want to see call Obama's BLUFF.

I'd bet none of them would have been Commie-lovers like you:

I am rooting for a known Communist KGB acolyte from the Cold War...that I want to see call Obama's BLUFF.

Guess what SON? I fought those bastards...(The Commies)...What have YOU done for this Republic?

My comment stands despite the diversion. I'll PUT my record, and that of my FAMILY against YOURS...ANY DAY of the week, including the PEOPLE YOU disparage in this thread...you spoiled little twerp.

Interesting. These men built a government from the ground up.

And progressives of those averages ages today, all they can do is whine that the government needs to take care of them.

Anyone still want to make the laughable claim that modern liberals are JUST LIKE the Founding Fathers?

:lmao:

The FF were certainly nothing like our far right reactionaries or libertarians of today.

Interesting stuff. I had an ancestor who fought in the Revolution and there is a DAR chapter named after him. He lived in Virginia and we don't know why he came here. Indeed KY may still have been part of Virginia then. He got a 1500 acre land grant in KY. We don't really know anything else about him except that he had a very comfortable life in Virginia before the Revolution. It had to have been a lot of hard work to come here to what was then the frontier. I always wonder I he every got any after that, or if his wife was on board with it. LOL.

In those days they weren't either military or educated men. They were both military and educated men. My original ancestor who came here 100 years before the Revolution was an esquire and a colonel. Our, at least my, history books called them 'planters.' So they were all farmers as well. My original ancestor settled by a marsh because of the abundance of wildlife which could be hunted and used for food. They were really smart in those days. All of my female ancestors could read and write, but the women's skills were well developed as well even if they weren't the same skills as those of the men. Very few people these days really try to develop themselves to the extent they did in those days. It's just easier to live off the baby mamma's check. Although the moneyed gentry did try to stay together and hook up with one another, those who were not moneyed, often second sons of European royalty in line to inherit nothing, came here to make their fortunes. And did. After going to the Written in Bone exhibit at the Smithsonian last year, I learned that there were food shortages in the 1600s. So, clearly some people came here who really didn't know how to survive in the 'new world.' And those didn't.

Seriously, how did we get here? What we have now would have been incomprehensible to the founders.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back