How To Avoiding Standing in Line for a long time at HarborFreight

BasicHumanUnit

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2013
Do you shop at HF?
If so you've probably been caught in a long line at least a few times.
At my local HF it's MOST of the time.

What I've observed is that when they ask for your telephone number, that leads to lengthy delays.
I've seen 10 people in line waiting, and the cashier will get the customers phone number, then ask if they want to Join the Insiders Club, then go into a long discussion about the benefits. I've seen long lines where the cashier enters the customers phone number then gets into a long discussion about the spelling of their name, or where they're from etc etc etc.

Too many HF cashiers don't seem to realize customers have busy lives and don't have time to spend 1/2 hour in line.
Smaller, rural HF stores probably don't have these problems but the more urban locations do.

HF uses your phone number primarily to track your visits.
The only time I ever give HF my phone number when checking out is if I am buying something over $50.00 for warranty purposes.

If you want to make the lines at HF move much faster just decline the phone number request and keep the receipt.
Doing this will make the lines move MUCH faster for everyone.

Do you shop at HF?

What I've observed is that when they ask for your telephone number, that leads to lengthy delays.
I've seen 10 people in line waiting, and the cashier will get the customers phone number, then ask if they want to Join the Insiders Club, then go into a long discussion about the benefits. I've seen long lines where the cashier enters the customers phone number then gets into a long discussion about the spelling of their name, or where they're from etc etc etc.

Too many HF cashiers don't seem to realize customers have busy lives and don't have time to spend 1/2 hour in line.
Smaller, rural HF stores probably don't have these problems but the more urban locations do.

The only time I ever give HF my phone number when checking out is if I am buying something over $50.00 for warranty purposes.

If you want to make the lines at HF move much faster just decline the phone number request and keep the receipt.
Point taken, but rare for me to go in and spend less than $50.00.

Do you shop at HF?

Become a VIP or get some needed patience.

4ed7n7xovd541.jpg

Harbor Freight sells tool shaped objects made in China.

I never shop there.
"I never shop there"

Then you don't have a clue.
They also sell many very good items. Like Chicago Pneumatic, Ingersol-Rand, Campbell Hausfeld, Goodyear hose. I used an Astro Power 1/4 drive air ratchet for 20 years that I bought there. Still works good. Their $20 sawzalls work as good or better than Milwaukee.

"I never shop there"

Then you don't have a clue.
They also sell many very good items. Like Chicago Pneumatic, Ingersol-Rand, Campbell Hausfeld, Goodyear hose. I used an Astro Power 1/4 drive air ratchet for 20 years that I bought there. Still works good. Their $20 sawzalls work as good or better than Milwaukee.

REPORTED!

Every time I go to H.F. there is always something I gotta have. In my local store in Va. There are so few customers that I am afraid it will close.

About 15 years ago I bought a tumbler from HF for reloading ammo.

It has worked great. I have cleaned tens of thousands pieces of brass and it is still working great.

I also bought a postal scale and it is still working fine. I use the scale to weigh brass so I don't have to count the individual cartridges.

Nothing wrong with HF if you are not looking to buy top notch tools.

I have occasionally used HF to buy tools that I very seldom use. If I am going to use the tool a lot I will buy better quality.

I will go there later today. Gunna get one of those big magnifying lamps that clip to a desk or table to tie fishing lures with. I have had to wait at times but that is life. Also have a couple of stereos that need some sodering.

Become a VIP or get some needed patience.

Patience is a virtue. I have plenty patience.
If someone does something stupid in traffic I always just let them go.
BUT....standing in long lines when it's not necessary is a waste of peoples time.

It's like when someone is in line in front of you and they are on the phone and are too busy talking and keep the cashier waiting.
Or someone in the car ahead is obsiously on the phone and just sits there long after the light is green.
It's rude.

There's patience and then there's being disrespectful of others.
Do you practice what you preach?

Patience is a virtue. I have plenty patience.
If someone does something stupid in traffic I always just let them go.
BUT....standing in long lines when it's not necessary is a waste of peoples time.

It's like when someone is in line in front of you and they are on the phone and are too busy talking and keep the cashier waiting.
Or someone in the car ahead is obsiously on the phone and just sits there long after the light is green.
It's rude.

There's patience and then there's being disrespectful of others.
Do you practice what you preach?
It's not worth it to get upset with the expected. It's hit and miss.

It's not worth it to get upset with the expected. It's hit and miss.

The thread really wasn't about the virtues of patience or expectations.
It's about an observation I made from my many visits to HF and what I have found saves time for those interested.

To reiterate......

This probably only pertains to HF stores in densely populated urban areas.
If you don't like spending a long time waiting in line at HF, you can refrain from giving your phone number.
If others do the same your wait times will be a lot shorter. 10 minutes for one customer where there are 5 or more waiting is rude.
If it's not an issue at your HF or you don't care, then by all means do as you like.

Last edited:
To reiterate......

If you don't like spending a long time waiting in line at HF, you can refrain from giving your phone number.
If others do the same your wait times will be a lot shorter.
If it's not an issue at your HF or you don't care, then by all means do as you like.
Why bitch about it? I don't. Getting upset about a cashier doing their job? Just the way it is.

Why bitch about it? I don't. Getting upset about a cashier doing their job? Just the way it is.

Even better question.....

Why bitch about me bitching ? :laughing0301:

Look at us. We're just a couple of ole bitches bitchin.

Even better question.....

Why bitch about me bitching ? :laughing0301:

Look at us. We're just a couple of ole bitches bitchin.
I might be guilty of holding up the line when I'm chatting up the young senorita at the cash register.

If you drop a steaming deuce on the floor there next to the long line it usually thins out pretty quickly.

Forum List

Back