How to Deal With Home Invasion: Advice from California Police

Carl in Michigan

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2016
I wonder what different advice our liberal posters would give to a young woman as 3 guys bust down the door?

That was the advice given to me 40 years ago from a sheriff when an old boyfriend became so threatening that I moved to a different county. He said just don't shoot him outside the door or before he gets through the door and is in the doorway. That ex boyfriend was the type to kick in doors.

On the other side is you have to determine if someone is an actual threat. The little town we lived in had ball games every year and in the evening those guys would party pretty heavy. One got lost in a drunken state and just walked in the backdoor and started demanding to know where Julie was. Big guy well over six feet. I told him there is no Julie here and then demanded to know what he was doing in my house. Then I told him get out now there is no Julie here and I don't know a Julie. He was obviously just a drunken mess. While he was still mumbling about Julie I grabbed him by the shirt, spun him around at push him out the door the whole time saying, "Out, out, out!" That was back shortly after a bus transmission had fallen on Rod at work. Rod was in the tub when that all went down. He yelled at me for help so after getting the intruder to exit I went to see what Rod wanted. Rod asked, "Is someone here? I heard you talking to someone." I told him what had just happen and he wanted to know why I hadn't called for him to help get the guy out. I said back, "And what exactly what would you have done?" I couldn't picture yelling for Rod and putting him through a bunch of pain and the guy wasn't a threat he was just a dumb ass drunk looking for someone named Julie.

"I swear this is true. I heard it from a guy who knows someone who heard it."

That was the advice given to me 40 years ago from a sheriff when an old boyfriend became so threatening that I moved to a different county. He said just don't shoot him outside the door or before he gets through the door and is in the doorway. That ex boyfriend was the type to kick in doors.

On the other side is you have to determine if someone is an actual threat. The little town we lived in had ball games every year and in the evening those guys would party pretty heavy. One got lost in a drunken state and just walked in the backdoor and started demanding to know where Julie was. Big guy well over six feet. I told him there is no Julie here and then demanded to know what he was doing in my house. Then I told him get out now there is no Julie here and I don't know a Julie. He was obviously just a drunken mess. While he was still mumbling about Julie I grabbed him by the shirt, spun him around at push him out the door the whole time saying, "Out, out, out!" That was back shortly after a bus transmission had fallen on Rod at work. Rod was in the tub when that all went down. He yelled at me for help so after getting the intruder to exit I went to see what Rod wanted. Rod asked, "Is someone here? I heard you talking to someone." I told him what had just happen and he wanted to know why I hadn't called for him to help get the guy out. I said back, "And what exactly what would you have done?" I couldn't picture yelling for Rod and putting him through a bunch of pain and the guy wasn't a threat he was just a dumb ass drunk looking for someone named Julie.
There was a recent incident in Dearborn where some drunk black young woman was beating on the homeowner's door at 3 am. The guy should have just called 911 and kept the gun handy.

Instead, he yelled at the woman to leave and shot her thru the closed door. Turned out her car broke down.

He killed her, and he sits in prison now. A 50 something man spending the last half of his life in prison because he made a stupid decision.

Dearborn does border Detroit and this woman could have had other guys with her to break in when the homeowner opened the door.

He made the wrong decision in this case.

So how would your advice differ. You're not a liberal, but I wonder how you'd advise someone involved in a home invasion.

There was a recent incident in Dearborn where some drunk black young woman was beating on the homeowner's door at 3 am. The guy should have just called 911 and kept the gun handy.

Instead, he yelled at the woman to leave and shot her thru the closed door. Turned out her car broke down.

He killed her, and he sits in prison now. A 50 something man spending the last half of his life in prison because he made a stupid decision.

Dearborn does border Detroit and this woman could have had other guys with her to break in when the homeowner opened the door.

That is a sorry case. Some people just have no common sense and these cities like Dearborn are so full of crime it would make people jumpy. Thank God we live in the country and have been blessed to be in small towns even though there is corruption unaddressed life on a whole is a little safer.

That is a sorry case. Some people just have no common sense and these cities like Dearborn are so full of crime it would make people jumpy. Thank God we live in the country and have been blessed to be in small towns even though there is corruption unaddressed life on a whole is a little safer.
Here's a link to the incident. Even the judge hated to pass out this sentence. Anybody can easily imagine this happening to them. I could.

Tearful judge gives man 17 years for Michigan porch shooting - Reuters

So how would your advice differ. You're not a liberal, but I wonder how you'd advise someone involved in a home invasion.

Statistically speaking, home invasions don't turn out deadly and they only happen to fewer than 1% of the population even in horrible cities.

That being said, if one happens to you, it's gonna suck.

My advice, prepare the basics, secure doors that can't be kicked in by a 7-year-old, visible security cameras, loud intrusion alarms, even a cut-rate panic room (a walk in closet with a solid door and a charged cell phone).

And ... if you do use a firearm ... use your head, don't panic, and make sure you're not blowing away the meter reader.

About the 'shoot-to-kill' advice... I consider that to be a really bad idea. Legally, you're allowed to shoot someone until they're not longer a threat to you (or what a 'reasonable person' would consider to be a threat). If the guy is laying on your kitchen floor bleeding out, I advise against putting a security round into his brain just in case ... unless it's a certified Zombie Apocalypse ... and calling 911. It will be the difference between a justifiable self-defense and a culpable manslaughter.

Above all ... don't obsess over it ... live your life secure in the knowledge that the chances are extremely good it's not going to happen to you.

Here's a link to the incident. Even the judge hated to pass out this sentence. Anybody can easily imagine this happening to them. I could.

Tearful judge gives man 17 years for Michigan porch shooting - Reuters

Unless I knew beyond a doubt what was beyond that door I can't picture shooting through it. On the same note I have kept very large dogs since my mid twenties. They can help make up where I lack in physical stature and generally with the exception of one we little retard stray we had some years back the dogs have a very good sense of what is or can be a true danger to their people mom.

Forum List

Back