How to stop gun crime...the Mobile way...or the Chicago way....

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
this is a look at two different strategies for stopping gun crime...one....arrest and lock up the criminals..the other is the Chicago way....

Crime-ridden U.S. cities differ on ways to fight gun violence - Washington Times

The Southern District — which includes Mobile, Alabama, a city with one of the highest crime rates per capita in the country — has pursued the most federal weapons prosecutions this year, according to prosecution data analyzed by Syracuse University’s Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse.

Under Mr. Brown’s leadership, the jurisdiction is prosecuting 24 percent more cases than last year and has increased prosecutions 69 percent in the last five years. In 2008, the year before the effort started, there were 42 homicides in his district. Last year, there were 27, Mr. Brown said.

Mr. Brown is bucking a nationwide trend, which has seen a decrease in the number of federally prosecuted gun charges, the data show.

“We told local law enforcement, ‘Look, if you have someone who has been a thorn in your side, they tend to go in and out of the revolving door of prison. You can’t get anything to stick to them, and they carry a gun. We want to prosecute them,’” Mr. Brown told The Washington Times.

And the Chicago way....

Mr. Brown’s counterpart in the gang-weary city of Chicago has a vastly different philosophy. U.S. Attorney Zachary Fardon declared in his first interview after taking over his job that “we are not going to arrest our way out of the gang problem in Chicago,” adding, “I do not believe federal law enforcement is the panacea” to gun violence.

Mr. Fardon’s declaration caught the attention of many in Chicago, which reported the most murders of any U.S. city in 2012 and is on track to retain that title in 2013, according to the most recent FBI data. Although statistics from the Chicago Police Department show the murder rate has subsided this year, over the Fourth of July weekend, 82 people were shot within an 84-hour window in a surge of violence, according to the Chicago Tribune.

Mr. Fardon’s philosophy appears to be borne out in the statistics compiled by his federal prosecution team in Chicago.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jul/24/crime-ridden-us-cities-differ-on-ways-to-fight-gun/#ixzz3XgKdnvQd
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

Zachary Fardon is an idiot. Arrests and prosecutions have been the key strategy to break the backs of organized crime from the mafia all the way down to street gangs. RICO statues, federal gun and drug trafficking laws, these are tools to put violent people away for a long, long time and break up crime syndicates. I for one am proud of our incarceration rate which the Left decries as a problem. I think that bad people should be locked up until they're old people and that society is safer when we do so.

Zachary Fardon is an idiot. Arrests and prosecutions have been the key strategy to break the backs of organized crime from the mafia all the way down to street gangs. RICO statues, federal gun and drug trafficking laws, these are tools to put violent people away for a long, long time and break up crime syndicates. I for one am proud of our incarceration rate which the Left decries as a problem. I think that bad people should be locked up until they're old people and that society is safer when we do so.

You should be asking why we have more people in jail than anywhere else in the world and don't have the lowest crime rates. Seems like it isn't working. I'm not against throwing bad people in jail, but I'd rather have lower crime rates and fewer people in jail. Jails aren't free.

You should be asking why we have more people in jail than anywhere else in the world and don't have the lowest crime rates. Seems like it isn't working. I'm not against throwing bad people in jail, but I'd rather have lower crime rates and fewer people in jail. Jails aren't free.

We don't have a low crime rate compared to who? North Korea?

I think we do pretty well

800px-Homicide_rates_for_select_countries_2012.png

^^^

^^^

Looks pretty middle of the pack. Sad you are accepting of that. India and Vietnam are ahead of us. That is not acceptable for me.

^^^

Looks pretty middle of the pack. Sad you are accepting of that. India and Vietnam are ahead of us. That is not acceptable for me.

No, the "world" bar on the left is middle of the pack. You're not too sharp, are you?

First he said they will not prosecute their way out of the problem, then he says he can't prosecute because of sequestration. Typical liberal. Never taking responsibility. I'm glad the voters get what they deserve.

^^^

No, the "world" bar on the left is middle of the pack. You're not too sharp, are you?

Oh really? And how did they calculate that world number?

Because our population is one of the most heavily drugged, angriest, violent, short tempered, self centered civilizations. ...to ever exist.

We're violent and angry and pumped full of meds.

Thats why prisons are full. And its why our murder rate is half the world average....because many of our violent lunatics are kept in jails.

Because our population is one of the most heavily drugged, angriest, violent, short tempered, self centered civilizations. ...to ever exist.

Thats why prisons are full. And its why our murder rate is half the world average....because many of our violent lunatics are kept in jails.

It is very high when compared to similar countries. The world average really isn't what we should be looking at. Unless you accept mediocrity.

^^^

By taking an average of the rest of the homicide rates. You aren't very good at math, are you?

It is very high when compared to similar countries. The world average really isn't what we should be looking at. Unless you accept mediocrity.

The incarceration rate isn't a problem unless you have an issue with some of the reasons people are being locked up. Contrary to ignorant opinion, people aren't doing hard time for doing drugs, though trafficking, manufacturing, and sale of drugs earns lengthy prison sentences which I'm fine with. People that are locked up are generally very violent people, or they're poisoners, or child molesters, people that I'm glad my government keeps off the streets.

And about 1/3 of them are Hispanic. Gee, I wonder where those came from?

Compared to some of the toughest prisons in Russia, where the inmates average 5 murders each, we're doing pretty well at separating the violent from the innocent.

^^^

By taking an average of the rest of the homicide rates. You aren't very good at math, are you?

No I'm quite good at math actually. You know the average isn't middle of the pack right professor? Median is the middle. But thanks for making yourself look dumb, it was funny.

^^^

No I'm quite good at math actually. You know the average isn't middle of the pack right professor? Median is the middle. But thanks for making yourself look dumb, it was funny.

"Middle of the pack" is a imprecise concept. Who knew people would assume you meant average? And you're the one who had to ask how they came up with the world number.

Dummy.

"Middle of the pack" is a imprecise concept. Who knew people would assume you meant average? And you're the one who had to ask how they came up with the world number.

Dummy.

Any intelligent person would know middle of the pack would mean median. You stupidly started talking about average. And in your own chart the US is clearly placed right about in the middle.

How about the tried and true Central American way where ya just shoot bad guys when ya catch up to them?

Forum List

Back