How will eliminating the Estate Tax benefit the Middle class?

Trump’s Tax Plan Cuts Rates for Individuals and Corporations and Eliminates Many Deductions

“My plan is for working people and my plan is for jobs,” Mr. Trump said. “I don’t benefit. Very, very strongly I think there’s very little benefit for people of wealth.”

The Estate tax in 2017 only applies to estates of $5,490,000 or more. If Donald Trump died tomorrow Melania, as his spouse, would still not have to pay any estate taxes on Donald's supposed $10 billion dollars- because of the spousal exemption. If both of them died tomorrow- then yes- his kids would face estate taxes.

How does eliminating the estate tax benefit 'working people'? How does it generate jobs?

Provisions such as the alternative minimum tax and the estate tax, a tax on inherited wealth which Mr. Trump has derided over the years, would be gone under the Republican proposal.

How does it do anything but benefit the families of the wealthiest Americans?

Save me the arguments that the Estate tax is 'unfair'- Trump and the Republicans are claiming these tax cuts are all about generating jobs and benefiting the middle class- if you want to claim that the reason to eliminate the estate tax is because the tax is 'unfair'- then go ahead and admit that Trump and the Republicans are lying to Americans about what the tax cuts are for- and who they are supposed to benefit.

A better question would be, how is keeping the estate tax good for the Middle class?

It's not like they distribute money according to how much they take in. They just print trillion dollar deficits cuz they will spend the money anyway for what they want to spend it on.

It's all monopoly money so who the hell cares?

It doesnt create jobs lol
I wonder how kids with not a lot of money pay for their families estate?

The estate pays the tax.

So lets say your mommy and daddy are worth $10 million dollars- and both die in a tragic automobile accident.

You inherit all $10 million dollars free and clear- because the joint exemption for your parents wealth is $10.98 million

Now if your parents are worth $20 million- their estate will have to pay estate taxes on approximately $9 million- and you will get the $11 million + plus the balance of the $9 million after taxes.

How will eliminating that tax create jobs or help the middle class- both which the Republicans and Trump have said this tax change is intended to do?

Yes, the estate pays the tax, which in many cases means the inheritance is lost to the State. The middle class has a net worth under 5 million dollars. Thus, under the trump plan the middle class is exempt from the death tax. Why do you want to harm the middle class?

The estate pays the tax- if the estate is over $5 million for a single person, over $10 million for a couple.

Even in California, a person owning an estate of $5 million would not be considered 'middle class'- but of course this only applies to the amount over $5 million.

Lets say your daddy, who is unmarried, and doesn't have a joint estate, dies with an estate worth $6 million dollars. The estate has to pay taxes on $1 million dollars. Meaning you would inherit an estate worth $5 million plus approximately 60% of $1 million- or a total value of 5.6 million dollars.

If you daddy had a wife, and it was their joint estate- you would inherit it all without the estate paying any taxes.

The middle class is already effectively exempt from the estate tax
- the estate tax falls on the wealthiest Americans.- roughly the top .2% of Americans.

How many people pay the estate tax?
  • For decedents in 2017 (with an exemption of $5.49 million), the Tax Policy Center estimates there will be only about 11,300 estate tax returns filed, of which 5,500 will be taxable. Estate tax liability will total $19.9 billion after credits (table 1).
  • To put the number of estate tax returns filed in perspective, the Population Division of the Bureau of the Census projects that 2.7 million people will die in 2017. Thus, an estate tax return will be filed for only 1 in 237 decedents, and only 1 in 487 will pay any estate tax.

'an unfair tax'

Taxes on struggling middle class wager earners are 'fair' but taxes on the estate of multi-millionaires are 'unfair'

No- Ivanka and her siblings haven't earned Donald's billions- but under Trump's plans- they certainly will benefit- the Trump family will save about $4 billion dollars in estate taxes under Trump's plans.

Income taxes are unconstitutional and always have been. Why does one that barters their time in one hour increments for federal reserve debt notes be required to pay a fee to the banking oligarchs that extended credit from nothing that created this debt slavery system to begin with?

Of course it all makes sense to a commie fuck such as yourself.

WAKE UP! It's not the year 1780.

Your Libertarianism is making you stupid.

A progressive income tax is one of the planks of the communist manifesto, dipshit. Any time you think you might have the brass ones to take me on in a debate on what is really going on? Be sure and let me know....thus far not a single leftard has dared to go "toe to toe" with me in a debate. Step up to the plate if you dare.

A flat tax raises taxes for the wealthy. Won't happen.

Income taxes are the very thing that people came here to get away from.

LOL- yes of course- that is what brought the Pilgrims to Plymouth.....income taxes......

. . .
Now if your parents are worth $20 million- their estate will have to pay estate taxes on approximately $9 million- and you will get the $11 million + plus the balance of the $9 million after taxes.

How will eliminating that tax create jobs or help the middle class- both which the Republicans and Trump have said this tax change is intended to do?

Have you ever had any sort of a cash windfall in your life?

Have you ever won a bunch of money or fond some?

A lot of people have. Myself, included.

Guess what "those" people tend to do with their windfalls?

They BUY shit. They take trips. They INVEST in other opportunities. They donate to charities.

ALL of which is a benefit to the middle class.

People like Syriusly think a portion of that should go to those that won't get off the couch to fix a meal for themselves.

People like Conservative think that Americans of the wrong skin color shouldn't be treated like Americans.

You think people of whatever skin color owe some lazy piece of shit that won't do for him/herself something for nothing.

If you lazy ass won't work, I don't give a shit what color you are. If you won't do for yourself, you deserve to do without. I find that on a per capita basis, blacks tend to fit the bills far more often than others.
People like Conservative think that Americans of the wrong skin color shouldn't be treated like Americans

Trump’s Tax Plan Cuts Rates for Individuals and Corporations and Eliminates Many Deductions

“My plan is for working people and my plan is for jobs,” Mr. Trump said. “I don’t benefit. Very, very strongly I think there’s very little benefit for people of wealth.”

The Estate tax in 2017 only applies to estates of $5,490,000 or more. If Donald Trump died tomorrow Melania, as his spouse, would still not have to pay any estate taxes on Donald's supposed $10 billion dollars- because of the spousal exemption. If both of them died tomorrow- then yes- his kids would face estate taxes.

How does eliminating the estate tax benefit 'working people'? How does it generate jobs?

Provisions such as the alternative minimum tax and the estate tax, a tax on inherited wealth which Mr. Trump has derided over the years, would be gone under the Republican proposal.

Save me the arguments that the Estate tax is 'unfair'- Trump and the Republicans are claiming these tax cuts are all about generating jobs and benefiting the middle class- if you want to claim that the reason to eliminate the estate tax is because the tax is 'unfair'- then go ahead and admit that Trump and the Republicans are lying to Americans about what the tax cuts are for- and who they are supposed to benefit.

Only 25% of filers itemize and use deductions you're concerned about

-Geaux

Itemized deductions have nothing to do with the estate tax- or the topic of this thread.

The estate pays the tax.

So lets say your mommy and daddy are worth $10 million dollars- and both die in a tragic automobile accident.

You inherit all $10 million dollars free and clear- because the joint exemption for your parents wealth is $10.98 million

Yes, the estate pays the tax, which in many cases means the inheritance is lost to the State. The middle class has a net worth under 5 million dollars. Thus, under the trump plan the middle class is exempt from the death tax. Why do you want to harm the middle class?

If the estate tax is a percentage of the whole, how can it be lost to the State?

FYI, the 5M exception was signed into law by Obama in 2012.

Because many times the costs associated with trying to keep what is legally theirs is consumed by legal fees, accountant fees etc. And, in certain cases the home is the majority of the value of the estate thus, when they are unable to pay the property taxes they must sell the family home to pay them.

You're not very smart are you.

An estate of a couple(or the last survivor of a married couple)'s less than $10,000,000 doesn't owe a dime in estate taxes.

And estate worth $11,000,000 would owe money on $1,000,000. If the home is worth $11,000,000 AND the estate cannot manage to come up with $400,000- yes- they might have to sell that $10,000,000 family home- and that happens quite commonly anyway when 3 or 4 children all inherit the family home- because that is the only way that each can get an equal share.

Still not seeing how ensuring that the children of millionaires and billionaires don't have to pay an estate tax benefits the middle class.

How will Trump's children not being taxed on a $10 Billion dollar estate- help middle class Americans?

The estate pays the tax.

Doesn't matter.

Why does the government get to take 9 million dollars of a person's inheritance? Is it because they deem that no person "needs" to inherit that much?

Why does the government get to take any person;s money? Taxes are taxes.

I don't know why you think an income tax on struggling middle class voters is somehow more fair than an inheritance tax on multi-millionaires.

In both cases the government takes money from people.
The estate tax is taxing money that has already been taxed once.

If there is going to be an income tax then everyone with an income should pay the tax.
The only fair income tax is a flat tax

I would be all for a flat tax on wealth- that would be 'fair' as far as I am concerned.

wealth isn't income.

Wow- you figured that out all on your own?

Income tax, sales tax, wealth tax- none of them are inherently more or less fair.

Proof, PLEASE!

When Does Inherited Stock Become Taxable?

When you inherit stock, the cost basis on the shares changes. Instead of using the cost that the former owner -- the decedent -- paid, your cost basis is the share value on the date the former owner died. This "step up" in cost basis can be a tremendous advantage if the shares were purchased at a low price and have increased significantly in value. As an example, the person who left you the shares paid $5,000 for them. On the date of death the stock was worth $50,000. Your cost basis is the $50,000, and the $45,000 gain from the original purchase will not be taxed.

Neither should the $5000.

Just more money that can be wasted on some freeloader living off the taxpayers.
We are deeply in debt. And the claims of double taxation are clearly false.

Quit spending more than we have.

Where did I say double taxation? However, you claim they are false yet don't back it up. No one takes the word of a coward like you.

I just backed it up obviously.

Sorry, but saying it isn't backing it up despite what Liberals think.

The estate pays the tax.

Doesn't matter.

Why does the government get to take 9 million dollars of a person's inheritance? Is it because they deem that no person "needs" to inherit that much?

Why does the government get to take any person;s money? Taxes are taxes.

I don't know why you think an income tax on struggling middle class voters is somehow more fair than an inheritance tax on multi-millionaires.

In both cases the government takes money from people.
The estate tax is taxing money that has already been taxed once.

If there is going to be an income tax then everyone with an income should pay the tax.
The only fair income tax is a flat tax

I would be all for a flat tax on wealth- that would be 'fair' as far as I am concerned.

I'm sure you do. Anything that forces those already footing the bill to pay more and those doing nothing but taking from society continuing to do nothing.

If poor people are going to live in a society where doing so means you contribute,. why do you oppose them contributing?

You think estate taxes go to the poor? Good thinking McFly.
This is the context, dear: The government is taxing things that have already been taxed.

Money has been earned at least once; why complain about giving it to the poor via social programs?

Because I earned it, they did not, but that's beside the point. The point is that it's an unfair tax and should be eliminated altogether.

'an unfair tax'

Taxes on struggling middle class wager earners are 'fair' but taxes on the estate of multi-millionaires are 'unfair'

No- Ivanka and her siblings haven't earned Donald's billions- but under Trump's plans- they certainly will benefit- the Trump family will save about $4 billion dollars in estate taxes under Trump's plans.

Never said that. Do you know how to read?

Hell that should be my stock answer to every post you make.

I responded to your whine about the 'unfair' tax- addressing your whine- you don't like that- how shocking.

'an unfair tax'

A family of four making almost $50,000/year doesn't pay income taxes. They're not poor but they don't pay a dime to that pot.

On some threads, you instantly know it was posted up by a mental case progressive!!:eusa_dance:

On threads like this, you can tell the mental case Contards who respond- Anything that benefits Trump or his family or the wealthy is good. Anything that doesn't- is bad.

On threads like this, you can tell the mental case POS Liberals who respond - they claim paying taxes is part of living in society yet come up with all sorts of excuses why certain groups living in society don't have to pay taxes.

Why do you believe the government deserves anything from an estate?
Taxes have already been paid on that wealth?

Not the question of the OP but why do you believe that the government deserves anything from anyone?

No one wants to pay taxes- but taxes on the estate a billionaire that none of the heirs 'earned' are just as fair as taxes on the income of a struggling middle class family

Nowhere near the same. If that billionaire wants to give what he/she earned to someone it's their choice. If he/she wanted anything associated with it to go to others, he/she would have made it so. Jealousy by those that don't get such a thing and want to tax it is pitiful to watch.

Eliminating any tax is good.

Here's an idea, spend less.
Awww, c'mon .... get real.

You KNOW that ain't gonna happen !!!!

When the debt becomes untenable, and if history is any judge, it will, we get to reboot and you bet your ass we'll spend less.
No doubt
The federal government has an unpayable debt, robbing Peter to pay Paul just does not work… LOL
Tax the inheritances of the rich, until the we have massive surpluses again.

Why are you jealous of a rich person giving something to someone of his/her choice?

-Geaux

Itemized deductions have nothing to do with the estate tax- or the topic of this thread.

Wealth and income aren't the same thing despite you trying to pretend they are. It's easy to tell you'll never have either. No one gives enough of a shit about you to leave you anything and you're too fucking lazy to earn an income.

-Geaux

Wealth and income aren't the same.

Wow- you just figured that out?

Neither are sales, or property......

You contard Trump voters......

Why do you believe the government deserves anything from an estate?
Taxes have already been paid on that wealth?

Not the question of the OP but why do you believe that the government deserves anything from anyone?

No one wants to pay taxes- but taxes on the estate a billionaire that none of the heirs 'earned' are just as fair as taxes on the income of a struggling middle class family

Nowhere near the same. If that billionaire wants to give what he/she earned to someone it's their choice. ,.

Of course the billionaire has a choice to who to grace his money with after he dies.

Taxing that is no more inherently fair or less fair than taxing the income of a struggling middle class family.

Forum List

Back