How will eliminating the Estate Tax benefit the Middle class?

When Does Inherited Stock Become Taxable?

When you inherit stock, the cost basis on the shares changes. Instead of using the cost that the former owner -- the decedent -- paid, your cost basis is the share value on the date the former owner died. This "step up" in cost basis can be a tremendous advantage if the shares were purchased at a low price and have increased significantly in value. As an example, the person who left you the shares paid $5,000 for them. On the date of death the stock was worth $50,000. Your cost basis is the $50,000, and the $45,000 gain from the original purchase will not be taxed.

Neither should the $5000.

Just more money that can be wasted on some freeloader living off the taxpayers.
We are deeply in debt. And the claims of double taxation are clearly false.

Quit spending more than we have.

Where did I say double taxation? However, you claim they are false yet don't back it up. No one takes the word of a coward like you.

I just backed it up obviously.

Sorry, but saying it isn't backing it up despite what Liberals think.
End the drug war if you want lower taxes; otherwise, let's simply Tax the rich, into Heaven simply for the sake of morals from the Age of Iron.

The estate pays the tax.

So lets say your mommy and daddy are worth $10 million dollars- and both die in a tragic automobile accident.

You inherit all $10 million dollars free and clear- because the joint exemption for your parents wealth is $10.98 million

Now if your parents are worth $20 million- their estate will have to pay estate taxes on approximately $9 million- and you will get the $11 million + plus the balance of the $9 million after taxes.

How will eliminating that tax create jobs or help the middle class- both which the Republicans and Trump have said this tax change is intended to do?
Doesn't matter.

Why does the government get to take 9 million dollars of a person's inheritance? Is it because they deem that no person "needs" to inherit that much?

Why does the government get to take any person;s money? Taxes are taxes.

I don't know why you think an income tax on struggling middle class voters is somehow more fair than an inheritance tax on multi-millionaires.

In both cases the government takes money from people.
The estate tax is taxing money that has already been taxed once.

If there is going to be an income tax then everyone with an income should pay the tax.
The only fair income tax is a flat tax

I would be all for a flat tax on wealth- that would be 'fair' as far as I am concerned.

I'm sure you do. Anything that forces those already footing the bill to pay more and those doing nothing but taking from society continuing to do nothing.

If poor people are going to live in a society where doing so means you contribute,. why do you oppose them contributing?
Just right wing propaganda and rhetoric.

The rich get richer and the poor get poorer via Institutional means.

Neither should the $5000.

Just more money that can be wasted on some freeloader living off the taxpayers.
We are deeply in debt. And the claims of double taxation are clearly false.

Quit spending more than we have.

Where did I say double taxation? However, you claim they are false yet don't back it up. No one takes the word of a coward like you.

I just backed it up obviously.

Sorry, but saying it isn't backing it up despite what Liberals think.
End the drug war if you want lower taxes; otherwise, let's simply Tax the rich, into Heaven simply for the sake of morals from the Age of Iron.

End the useless war on poverty if you want to lower taxes. $22 trillion wasted.

On some threads, you instantly know it was posted up by a mental case progressive!!:eusa_dance:

On threads like this, you can tell the mental case Contards who respond- Anything that benefits Trump or his family or the wealthy is good. Anything that doesn't- is bad.

On threads like this, you can tell the mental case POS Liberals who respond - they claim paying taxes is part of living in society yet come up with all sorts of excuses why certain groups living in society don't have to pay taxes.
Yes, we subscribe to Capitalism where ability to pay, means every Thing.

Doesn't matter.

Why does the government get to take 9 million dollars of a person's inheritance? Is it because they deem that no person "needs" to inherit that much?

Why does the government get to take any person;s money? Taxes are taxes.

I don't know why you think an income tax on struggling middle class voters is somehow more fair than an inheritance tax on multi-millionaires.

In both cases the government takes money from people.
The estate tax is taxing money that has already been taxed once.

If there is going to be an income tax then everyone with an income should pay the tax.
The only fair income tax is a flat tax

I would be all for a flat tax on wealth- that would be 'fair' as far as I am concerned.

I'm sure you do. Anything that forces those already footing the bill to pay more and those doing nothing but taking from society continuing to do nothing.

If poor people are going to live in a society where doing so means you contribute,. why do you oppose them contributing?
Just right wing propaganda and rhetoric.

The rich get richer and the poor get poorer via Institutional means.

So having a work ethic or not having one is institutional? Wouldn't the way to change that be to pass a law forcing people to work harder?

Eliminating any tax is good.

Here's an idea, spend less.
Awww, c'mon .... get real.

You KNOW that ain't gonna happen !!!!

When the debt becomes untenable, and if history is any judge, it will, we get to reboot and you bet your ass we'll spend less.
No doubt
The federal government has an unpayable debt, robbing Peter to pay Paul just does not work… LOL
Tax the inheritances of the rich, until the we have massive surpluses again.

Why are you jealous of a rich person giving something to someone of his/her choice?
Because, dear; we have massive federal debt, a rich guy wants to cut taxes on the rich and cut social benefits on the poor, to help pay for it.

On some threads, you instantly know it was posted up by a mental case progressive!!:eusa_dance:

On threads like this, you can tell the mental case Contards who respond- Anything that benefits Trump or his family or the wealthy is good. Anything that doesn't- is bad.

On threads like this, you can tell the mental case POS Liberals who respond - they claim paying taxes is part of living in society yet come up with all sorts of excuses why certain groups living in society don't have to pay taxes.
Yes, we subscribe to Capitalism where ability to pay, means every Thing.

Where being in a society involves contributing to that society instead of leeching off it. When are the poor going to pay their fair share? They've leeched long enough.

Awww, c'mon .... get real.

You KNOW that ain't gonna happen !!!!

When the debt becomes untenable, and if history is any judge, it will, we get to reboot and you bet your ass we'll spend less.
No doubt
The federal government has an unpayable debt, robbing Peter to pay Paul just does not work… LOL
Tax the inheritances of the rich, until the we have massive surpluses again.

Why are you jealous of a rich person giving something to someone of his/her choice?
Because, dear; we have massive federal debt, a rich guy wants to cut taxes on the rich and cut social benefits on the poor, to help pay for it.

Half of which belongs to the incompetent black boy. 43 white guys create $10 trillion in 211 years. ONE black boy creates the same amount in 8 years and people like you want to blame white people. .

Why do you believe the government deserves anything from an estate?
Taxes have already been paid on that wealth?

Not the question of the OP but why do you believe that the government deserves anything from anyone?

No one wants to pay taxes- but taxes on the estate a billionaire that none of the heirs 'earned' are just as fair as taxes on the income of a struggling middle class family

Nowhere near the same. If that billionaire wants to give what he/she earned to someone it's their choice. ,.

Of course the billionaire has a choice to who to grace his money with after he dies.

Taxing that is no more inherently fair or less fair than taxing the income of a struggling middle class family.
Inheritance tax should be a requirement whenever we have federal Debt.

Trump’s Tax Plan Cuts Rates for Individuals and Corporations and Eliminates Many Deductions

“My plan is for working people and my plan is for jobs,” Mr. Trump said. “I don’t benefit. Very, very strongly I think there’s very little benefit for people of wealth.”

The Estate tax in 2017 only applies to estates of $5,490,000 or more. If Donald Trump died tomorrow Melania, as his spouse, would still not have to pay any estate taxes on Donald's supposed $10 billion dollars- because of the spousal exemption. If both of them died tomorrow- then yes- his kids would face estate taxes.

How does eliminating the estate tax benefit 'working people'? How does it generate jobs?

Provisions such as the alternative minimum tax and the estate tax, a tax on inherited wealth which Mr. Trump has derided over the years, would be gone under the Republican proposal.

How does it do anything but benefit the families of the wealthiest Americans?

Save me the arguments that the Estate tax is 'unfair'- Trump and the Republicans are claiming these tax cuts are all about generating jobs and benefiting the middle class- if you want to claim that the reason to eliminate the estate tax is because the tax is 'unfair'- then go ahead and admit that Trump and the Republicans are lying to Americans about what the tax cuts are for- and who they are supposed to benefit.

Only 25% of filers itemize and use deductions you're concerned about

-Geaux

Itemized deductions have nothing to do with the estate tax- or the topic of this thread.

Wealth and income aren't the same.

Wow- you just figured that out?

Neither are sales, or property......

You contard Trump voters......

I've known it for years. You just figured it out when a man told you the difference.

You libtard n-lovers are all the same.
I am an e-lover; i really do love, economics.

Only 25% of filers itemize and use deductions you're concerned about

-Geaux

Itemized deductions have nothing to do with the estate tax- or the topic of this thread.

Wealth and income aren't the same.

Wow- you just figured that out?

Neither are sales, or property......

You contard Trump voters......

I've known it for years. You just figured it out when a man told you the difference.

You libtard n-lovers are all the same.
I am an e-lover; i really do love, economics.

Then one would think you'd understand better.

Why do you believe the government deserves anything from an estate?
Taxes have already been paid on that wealth?

Not the question of the OP but why do you believe that the government deserves anything from anyone?

No one wants to pay taxes- but taxes on the estate a billionaire that none of the heirs 'earned' are just as fair as taxes on the income of a struggling middle class family

Nowhere near the same. If that billionaire wants to give what he/she earned to someone it's their choice. ,.

Of course the billionaire has a choice to who to grace his money with after he dies.

Taxing that is no more inherently fair or less fair than taxing the income of a struggling middle class family.
Inheritance tax should be a requirement whenever we have federal Debt.

You should have thought about that when the black boy was running up as much debt as the 43 whites ones combined did.

On threads like this, you can tell the mental case POS Liberals who respond .

On threads like this you can see the mentality of the Trump voters

Some like Conboy- are honestly racists. Others just silently support him.

Some lib boys like Syriusly are blatant NL while others try to hide it.
the right wing only has, "herrings of color" and nothing but repeal: coincidence or conspiracy?

On threads like this, you can tell the mental case POS Liberals who respond .

On threads like this you can see the mentality of the Trump voters

Some like Conboy- are honestly racists. Others just silently support him.

Some lib boys like Syriusly are blatant NL while others try to hide it.
the right wing only has, "herrings of color" and nothing but repeal: coincidence or conspiracy?

Pucker up. Just another Obama NL.

Just pointing out once more- with some amusement.

Not a single person who has posted their outrage at the idea of an estate tax here- has expressed any problem with the blatant racist remarks by Conboy.

Not all Trump voters are racists like Conboy- but Trump supporters don't object to the racism of Trump voters like Conboy.
Continuance, diversion, and other forms of fallacy, is what the right wing "trades in".

One thing that you could do besides picking the pockets of dead people would be to make your own money.

Not sure why you think that the government should be competing with private business.

Tell us why a tax on the estate of billionaires is so horrible to you?

Why is such a tax so great to you? Jealous that you'll never have either wealth or income?
Dear, the fiscally responsible reason is, we have Massive federal Debt. The rich should be taxed until we have no debt.

One thing that you could do besides picking the pockets of dead people would be to make your own money.

Not sure why you think that the government should be competing with private business.

Tell us why a tax on the estate of billionaires is so horrible to you?

Why is such a tax so great to you? Jealous that you'll never have either wealth or income?
Dear, the fiscally responsible reason is, we have Massive federal Debt. The rich should be taxed until we have no debt.

Just another one that has nothing and never will.

Run along, troll.

Not a single person who has posted their outrage at the idea of an estate tax here- has expressed any problem with the blatant racist remarks by Conboy.

Not all Trump voters are racists like Conboy- but Trump supporters don't object to the racism of Trump voters like Conboy.

No one believes what you say about racism nor it is true because you say it.
"Herrings of color and nothing but repeal", is all the right wing has.

No one believes what you say about racism nor it is true because you say it.
"Herrings of color and nothing but repeal", is all the right wing has.

Asses of black and nothing but kissing it is all you n-lovers have. Pucker up, coon.

Forum List

Back