Humans soon to pollute space.

my kid did a research paper on 'space junk'. amazing what is floating around up there. i'm sure there's even more since this article is 5 yrs old...

4-8-nrc-evaluates-nasas-orbital-debris-programs.jpg

Sept. 26, 2013

Space Debris and Human Spacecraft
More than 500,000 pieces of debris, or “space junk,” are tracked as they orbit the Earth. They all travel at speeds up to 17,500 mph, fast enough for a relatively small piece of orbital debris to damage a satellite or a spacecraft.

The rising population of space debris increases the potential danger to all space vehicles, but especially to the International Space Station, space shuttles and other spacecraft with humans aboard.

NASA takes the threat of collisions with space debris seriously and has a long-standing set of guidelines on how to deal with each potential collision threat. These guidelines, part of a larger body of decision-making aids known as flight rules, specify when the expected proximity of a piece of debris increases the probability of a collision enough that evasive action or other precautions to ensure the safety of the crew are needed...'

Space Debris and Human Spacecraft
Just think how it will be when humans inhabit it.

my kid did a research paper on 'space junk'. amazing what is floating around up there. i'm sure there's even more since this article is 5 yrs old...

Years ago the Chinese launched a missile up there to hit an orbiting satellite (not one of ours) just to prove they could do it. They blew it apart into a million pieces now all of those bits are flying projectiles orbiting at 25,000 mph or whatever and are a menace and threat to everything else which must constantly be looked for and avoided.

Forum List

Back