🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

hypothetical scenario- armed teacher

What happened at Douglas is there were kids stuck in hallways because teachers already locked the doors before they could get in. That is how many of the kids got shot. One teacher was killed because they opened the door to let a student in.

All the more reason to arm the teachers.
Arming teachers will result in more people getting shot.

The solution is to prevent folks like Cruz from buying weapons like an AR-15.

LOL!!!

How does arming teachers lead to more people getting shot?
If a student wants to shoot someone, all they have to do is take a gun from a teacher.

A reasonable concern.

Obvious answer, imo, is that if a student is that freaking violent, then they should have already been expelled.
That’s assuming they exhibit such violence leading up to that point like Cruz did.

What happened at Douglas is there were kids stuck in hallways because teachers already locked the doors before they could get in. That is how many of the kids got shot. One teacher was killed because they opened the door to let a student in.

Right, we are going to make sure that he doesn't buy a weapon like that. How?

And what if the next shooter uses a semi-automatic handgun? What would your solution be then?
Let’s start with better scrutinized background checks and getting people with mental health issues onto lists banning them from purchasing any semiautomatic weapon.

If they are dangerous enough not to be trusted with semi-automatic weapons, why are they trusted with access to trucks and cars and knives and gasoline, and plenty of other very dangerous "weapons"not to mention, hunting rifles and shotguns?

Lock up the crazy people.
i have no problem with that.

LOL!!!

If a student wants to shoot someone, all they have to do is take a gun from a teacher.

A reasonable concern.

Obvious answer, imo, is that if a student is that freaking violent, then they should have already been expelled.
That’s assuming they exhibit such violence leading up to that point like Cruz did.

Most do.

When this story broke, I went out on a limb, like I often do, and stated that we would find out that "they" knew the shooter was dangerously crazy, but did not, or legally could not do anything about it.

And, like just about always, I was proven right, again.

This nut job should have been committed, way before the shooting and those 17 kids would still be alive.

Not, smaller clips mean less dead,

If he had been locked up, they would all be alive today.

Steel doors are cheaper than wood doors. The bullet proof kind are probably more expensive.However, even if bullets can penetrate the door, that doesn't mean the shooter can kill anyone inside. All the people inside have to do to avoid being shot is stand away from the door. Probably one thing they should change is adding a dead bolt to the doors which would prevent the shooter from entering without anyone having to hold the door. That alone would have saved a lot of lives in the FL shooting.

And what if the next shooter uses a semi-automatic handgun? What would your solution be then?
Let’s start with better scrutinized background checks and getting people with mental health issues onto lists banning them from purchasing any semiautomatic weapon.

I thought we did that now provided there was a history of mental illness. I don't think that was the case with Cruz.

Then it boils down to what is mental illness? Anxiety that you need medication for? Attention Deficit Disorder? Obsessive Compulsive Disorder? Bipolar? Depression?

LOL!!!

A reasonable concern.

Most do.

When this story broke, I went out on a limb, like I often do, and stated that we would find out that "they" knew the shooter was dangerously crazy, but did not, or legally could not do anything about it.

This nut job should have been committed, way before the shooting and those 17 kids would still be alive.

Your self-congratulations are meaningless... let’s see the official verifiable stats that most students who shoot someone exhibit violent behavior in school....

In that type of environment could they not fit bullet proof doors at intervals so that theteacher could get closer to get off a shot?
arrow.jpg

I thought we did that now provided there was a history of mental illness. I don't think that was the case with Cruz.

Then it boils down to what is mental illness? Anxiety that you need medication for? Attention Deficit Disorder? Obsessive Compulsive Disorder? Bipolar? Depression?
Anyone being treated for any mental illness should be barred from legally purchasing any semiautomatic weapon.

LOL!!!

A reasonable concern.

Most do.

Your self-congratulations are meaningless... let’s see the official verifiable stats that most students who shoot someone exhibit violent behavior in school....

Analysis of Mass Shootings

Less than I thought, I admit, but still a strong tool.

n nearly half of mass shootings—42 percent of cases—the shooter exhibited at least one red flag prior to the shooting.

This was true in the case of Omar Mateen who, on July 12, 2016, fatally shot 49 people and injured 53 more at Pulse, a gay nightclub in Orlando. Before this attack, there were warning signs that he was potentially dangerous. His ex-wife had alleged that he beat her: “He would just come home and start beating me up because the laundry wasn’t finished or something like that.”9A man who had recently been his colleague said, “He [Mateen] was an angry person, violent in nature…I saw it coming…He said he was going to kill a whole bunch of people.”10

The fact that so many mass shooters displayed warning signs prior to the shootings indicates the value of providing a mechanism to law enforcement or family members that would allow them to petition a court to temporarily remove firearms from an individual they believe to be at risk to themselves or others.

This is what policymakers refer to as a Gun Violence Restraining Order (GVRO), or in some cases an Emergency Risk Protection Order (ERPO). Currently, four states—California, Connecticut, Indiana, and Washington—have such restraining order processes in place. These provide a crucial tool for intervention when a person exhibits dangerous behaviors.11

Schools have steal doors. They can withstand gunfire until it gets quite close.

NEWER schools (some of them) have steel, bullet resistant doors. Most do not and never will with Republicans holding the purse strings.

Steel doors are cheaper than wood doors. The bullet proof kind are probably more expensive.However, even if bullets can penetrate the door, that doesn't mean the shooter can kill anyone inside. All the people inside have to do to avoid being shot is stand away from the door. Probably one thing they should change is adding a dead bolt to the doors which would prevent the shooter from entering without anyone having to hold the door. That alone would have saved a lot of lives in the FL shooting.

I don't buy that shit. If proper procedures are implemented, the rish will be minimal. A number of states already have programs that allow qualified teachers to carry concealed firearms.

Your idea of preventing folks like Cruz from getting Ar-15 is to abolish the 2nd Amendment,

Anyone being treated for any mental illness should be barred from legally purchasing any semiautomatic weapon.

ROFL! So if your doctor prescribes a few Zoloft, that means you lose your 2nd Amendment rights?

Any weapon at all, but the definition of mental illness needs to be defined. Not by you, by the people who are involved in passing the law.

NEWER schools (some of them) have steel, bullet resistant doors. Most do not and never will with Republicans holding the purse strings.

I don't buy that shit. If proper procedures are implemented, the rish will be minimal. A number of states already have programs that allow qualified teachers to carry concealed firearms.

Your idea of preventing folks like Cruz from getting Ar-15 is to abolish the 2nd Amendment,

then they should loose their voting rights as well

ROFL! So if your doctor prescribes a few Zoloft, that means you lose your 2nd Amendment rights?

And because of would be abusers like Faun, is why we can't do the sensible thing and actually lock up crazy people.

And because of would be abusers like Faun, is why we can't do the sensible thing and actually lock up crazy people.
We give them access to an arsenal of thermonuclear weapons instead.

Hallway_of_Reading_High_School-900x450.jpg

you're the Athletic Director, you're in your office (front left beside the sign over the door) - you hear shooting and kids screaming for their life .. you open the gun safe in your closet, get your Glock 23 semi auto 9mm pistol and start out the door ... at the other end of the hall theres a kid standing at the bottom of the stairs with a semi auto AR 15 spraying shots down the hall in your direction as fast as he can squeeze the trigger, and bullets whizzing by you one after the other .. lets say those stairs are at least 45-50 steps, probably more... a lengthy shot for a pistol whatever the exact distance ... under those conditions, students running every direction, crowded hallway - could

YOU

leave your room, stay under total control,take careful aim and kill or wound the shooter stopping him from killing students without hitting and injuring any kids yourself?

Ive been around guns all of my life. I started shooting .22 rimfire pistols when I was 6 - .357 mag pistols when I was 12. I rate the degree of difficulty in that exact scenario on a scale of 1-10 .. 100+

what would you do ?
My Best

You know, when I was a member of the Security Force in Newport RI, we trained a full week each month to guard the base. That included shooting at targets, as well as learning how to hide behind things and shoot, as well as learning ammo control (no more than 3 shots at any target, some requiring just one or two).

No. I don't think that spending an hour or two at the range every month practicing shooting at stationary targets is going to cut it.

Forum List

Back