🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

hypothetical scenario- armed teacher

Hallway_of_Reading_High_School-900x450.jpg

you're the Athletic Director, you're in your office (front left beside the sign over the door) - you hear shooting and kids screaming for their life .. you open the gun safe in your closet, get your Glock 23 semi auto 9mm pistol and start out the door ... at the other end of the hall theres a kid standing at the bottom of the stairs with a semi auto AR 15 spraying shots down the hall in your direction as fast as he can squeeze the trigger, and bullets whizzing by you one after the other .. lets say those stairs are at least 45-50 steps, probably more... a lengthy shot for a pistol whatever the exact distance ... under those conditions, students running every direction, crowded hallway - could

YOU

leave your room, stay under total control,take careful aim and kill or wound the shooter stopping him from killing students without hitting and injuring any kids yourself?

Ive been around guns all of my life. I started shooting .22 rimfire pistols when I was 6 - .357 mag pistols when I was 12. I rate the degree of difficulty in that exact scenario on a scale of 1-10 .. 100+

what would you do ?
Get as many kids into my office as possible and wait by the door until I can get off a good shot. Let's not be stupid here and postulate all sorts of scenarios in which one specific person is unable to take out a shooter. There are any number of ways in which one specific person could be in a good place to take out a shooter and many in which they are in the wrong place. The point is that an armed teacher is the last line of defense for the kids in his/her classroom. I want that teacher to have a fighting chance. Apparently, some do not.

ROFL! So if your doctor prescribes a few Zoloft, that means you lose your 2nd Amendment rights?

And because of would be abusers like Faun, is why we can't do the sensible thing and actually lock up crazy people.
Oh? So it’s not ok with you to restrict 2nd Amendment rights of the mentally ill but it is ok with you to restrict all of their rights?

You were clearly pushing to abuse the mental health system as a back door to gun control.

Fear of abuse like that, that you were just nice enough to demonstrate, is a strong argument against giving the State power to institutionalize dangerously crazy people.

Good job. Think of that, the next time you hear of a dangerously crazy person committing mass murder.

You are part of the reason they were not institutionalized, and getting the treatment they needed.
Moron.... locking up mentally ill people takes away all their rights. You were actually proposing doing that but you’re against just taking away their 2nd Amendment rights. :cuckoo:

IF they are really dangerous to themselves or others, they need to be institutionalized, not have their weapons choices slightly restricted.

If they are not dangerous to themselves or others, than taking their rights away because you have an excuse, is you being a tyrant.
Using that guideline, Cruz would have been deemed to neither be institutionalized nor denied his right to purchase an AR-15.

:cuckoo:

No, that’s not a definition of mentally ill. What the fuck is wrong with you??

WHO DEFINES MENTALLY ILL?

Doctors.

In the an above post YOU defined it as "anyone being treated for any mental illness".

Thanks for showing why we can't trust liberals.
So? Who treats mentally ill if not doctors? Now you can’t trust doctors to evaluate patients?

The question is legally defining mentally ill.

Your pretense that that would be doctors and not politicians elected by voters, is noted as a dishonest dodge, and held against your credibility.

And yes, we can't trust doctors, if they are liberal.
You moron, it’s not a dodge, dishonest or otherwise, to point out that doctors should be the ones diagnosing mental illness; just because you don’t like my answer.

And because of would be abusers like Faun, is why we can't do the sensible thing and actually lock up crazy people.
Oh? So it’s not ok with you to restrict 2nd Amendment rights of the mentally ill but it is ok with you to restrict all of their rights?

You were clearly pushing to abuse the mental health system as a back door to gun control.

Fear of abuse like that, that you were just nice enough to demonstrate, is a strong argument against giving the State power to institutionalize dangerously crazy people.

Good job. Think of that, the next time you hear of a dangerously crazy person committing mass murder.

You are part of the reason they were not institutionalized, and getting the treatment they needed.
Moron.... locking up mentally ill people takes away all their rights. You were actually proposing doing that but you’re against just taking away their 2nd Amendment rights. :cuckoo:

IF they are really dangerous to themselves or others, they need to be institutionalized, not have their weapons choices slightly restricted.

If they are not dangerous to themselves or others, than taking their rights away because you have an excuse, is you being a tyrant.
Using that guideline, Cruz would have been deemed to neither be institutionalized nor denied his right to purchase an AR-15.

Right. Because no warning signs at all.

Stoneman Douglas High School shooting - Wikipedia

"Cruz had behavior issues, and he was transferred between schools six times in three years in order to deal with these problems.[45]

In 2014, he was transferred to a school for children with emotional or learning disabilities, and returned to Stoneman Douglas High School two years later.[45] The Florida Department of Children and Families investigated him in September 2016 for Snapchat posts in which he cut both his arms and said he planned to buy a gun. State investigators reported Cruz had depression, autism, and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. I"

"n email from the school administration had circulated among teachers, warning that Cruz had made threats against other students. This led the school to ban him from wearing a backpack on campus."

"A former classmate said Cruz had anger management problems and often joked about guns and gun violence, including "shooting up establishments".[52] A 2016 graduate's brother described him as "super stressed out all the time and talked about guns a lot and tried to hide his face". A student enrolled at the school at the time of the shooting said, "I think everyone had in their minds if anybody was going to do it, it was going to be him."[53] A classmate assigned to work with him in sophomore year said, "He told me how he got kicked out of two private schools."

"The BSO received tips about Cruz's threats to shoot up the school on February 5, 2016, and on November 30, 2017. On September 23, 2016, a peer counselor notified the school resource officer of Cruz's suicide attempt and intent to buy a gun; the school indicated it would do a "threat assessment".[55][56][57] In total, the sheriff's office received 23 calls about Cruz over a decade"

This was my favorite.

"An email from the school administration had circulated among teachers, warning that Cruz had made threats against other students. This led the school to ban him from wearing a backpack on campus."

If a student is making threats credible enough that you ban him from wearing a back pack for fear he will bring weapons to school and use them....

Mmmm.

Like you said, no warnings signs...

lol!

WHO DEFINES MENTALLY ILL?

Doctors.

In the an above post YOU defined it as "anyone being treated for any mental illness".

Thanks for showing why we can't trust liberals.
So? Who treats mentally ill if not doctors? Now you can’t trust doctors to evaluate patients?

The question is legally defining mentally ill.

Your pretense that that would be doctors and not politicians elected by voters, is noted as a dishonest dodge, and held against your credibility.

And yes, we can't trust doctors, if they are liberal.
You moron, it’s not a dodge, dishonest or otherwise, to point out that doctors should be the ones diagnosing mental illness; just because you don’t like my answer.

But that's not what you want. YOu want to use this as an excuse to label as many people as possible as not having second amendment rights.

And of course, some liberal doctors and lawmakers will agree and abuse their power to work towards those goals.

THanks for making it harder to defend the idea of locking up dangerously crazy people, you know, to save lives.

All the more reason to arm the teachers.
Arming teachers will result in more people getting shot.

The solution is to prevent folks like Cruz from buying weapons like an AR-15.

Right, we are going to make sure that he doesn't buy a weapon like that. How?

And what if the next shooter uses a semi-automatic handgun? What would your solution be then?
Let’s start with better scrutinized background checks and getting people with mental health issues onto lists banning them from purchasing any semiautomatic weapon.

I thought we did that now provided there was a history of mental illness. I don't think that was the case with Cruz.

Then it boils down to what is mental illness? Anxiety that you need medication for? Attention Deficit Disorder? Obsessive Compulsive Disorder? Bipolar? Depression?
Anyone being treated for any mental illness should be barred from legally purchasing any semiautomatic weapon.

Okay, then when that becomes law, how many people do you think would be willing to get the help they need knowing that doing so will forfeit their second amendment right? I think that untreated people might make things worse than better.

"Cruz had behavior issues, and he was transferred between schools six times in three years in order to deal with these problems.[45]

In 2014, he was transferred to a school for children with emotional or learning disabilities, and returned to Stoneman Douglas High School two years later.[45] The Florida Department of Children and Families investigated him in September 2016 for Snapchat posts in which he cut both his arms and said he planned to buy a gun. State investigators reported Cruz had depression, autism, and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. I"

"n email from the school administration had circulated among teachers, warning that Cruz had made threats against other students. This led the school to ban him from wearing a backpack on campus."

"A former classmate said Cruz had anger management problems and often joked about guns and gun violence, including "shooting up establishments".[52] A 2016 graduate's brother described him as "super stressed out all the time and talked about guns a lot and tried to hide his face". A student enrolled at the school at the time of the shooting said, "I think everyone had in their minds if anybody was going to do it, it was going to be him."[53] A classmate assigned to work with him in sophomore year said, "He told me how he got kicked out of two private schools."

"The BSO received tips about Cruz's threats to shoot up the school on February 5, 2016, and on November 30, 2017. On September 23, 2016, a peer counselor notified the school resource officer of Cruz's suicide attempt and intent to buy a gun; the school indicated it would do a "threat assessment".[55][56][57] In total, the sheriff's office received 23 calls about Cruz over a decade"

This was my favorite.

"An email from the school administration had circulated among teachers, warning that Cruz had made threats against other students. This led the school to ban him from wearing a backpack on campus."

If a student is making threats credible enough that you ban him from wearing a back pack for fear he will bring weapons to school and use them....

Mmmm.

lol!
Now you’re flat out lying about what I said, a clear sign you’ve lost the argument.

I never said there were no warning signs.

You said, ”IF they are really dangerous to themselves or others, they need to be institutionalized, not have their weapons choices slightly restricted.”

Despite the numerous times authorities were called to get involved, none of them ever categorized him as a danger to himself or others. No one ever suggested Baker Acting him. So according to your criteria which I just quoted, he would not have been institutionalized or prevented from legally purchasing an AR-15.

You lost that debate, but not being man enough to concede it, you opted to lie about what I said.

I accept your surrender.
thumbsup.gif

This was my favorite.

Mmmm.

lol!
Now you’re flat out lying about what I said, a clear sign you’ve lost the argument.

You said, ”IF they are really dangerous to themselves or others, they need to be institutionalized, not have their weapons choices slightly restricted.”

Despite the numerous times authorities were called to get involved, none of them ever categorized him as a danger to himself or others. No one ever suggested Baker Acting him. So according to your criteria which I just quoted, he would not have been institutionalized or prevented from legally purchasing an AR-15.

You lost that debate, but not being man enough to concede it, you opted to lie about what I said.

I accept your surrender.
thumbsup.gif

The fact that this guy was never institutionalized just shows that we are too slow to do so.

Seems they thought he was a danger to others. Yet, the extent of their reaction was to ban him from using a backpack.

How did that work out for everyone involved?

This was my favorite.

Mmmm.

lol!

I accept your surrender.
thumbsup.gif

The fact that this guy was never institutionalized just shows that we are too slow to do so.

Seems they thought he was a danger to others. Yet, the extent of their reaction was to ban him from using a backpack.

How did that work out for everyone involved?
I already told you, you lost this when you lied about my position.

Schools have steal doors. They can withstand gunfire until it gets quite close.

NEWER schools (some of them) have steel, bullet resistant doors. Most do not and never will with Republicans holding the purse strings.

Steel doors are cheaper than wood doors. The bullet proof kind are probably more expensive.However, even if bullets can penetrate the door, that doesn't mean the shooter can kill anyone inside. All the people inside have to do to avoid being shot is stand away from the door. Probably one thing they should change is adding a dead bolt to the doors which would prevent the shooter from entering without anyone having to hold the door. That alone would have saved a lot of lives in the FL shooting.
What happened at Douglas is there were kids stuck in hallways because teachers already locked the doors before they could get in. That is how many of the kids got shot. One teacher was killed because they opened the door to let a student in.

According to you based entirely on nothing at all.

Your scenario is not only garbage but the reality is that the point of arming people in schools is not so they seek out and take down the shooter - it is so that they can shelter in place and cover the entry ways. THAT is how you protect your class - get behind a desk and take the shooter out when he tries to enter the classroom to slaughter everyone there.

There is quite literally no way for it to go worse than it will without anyone armed - in that case the gunman simply gets to kill everyone.

Or perhaps the shooter bypasses your classroom to continue to shoot at more kids in the hall. If you're sure his back is turned against you, you can take him down with little risk to yourself.
Possibly but not really to be expected. That requires knowledge of the situation that you will likely not have. That is why sheltering in place is generally the absolute best idea.

Those kids in the class become sheep for the killer without the teacher - exactly what they are now.

unless the shooter is firing shots how does a teacher know its a shooter ... and it was suggested teachers keep their pistols in a lockbox .. when do they open the lockbox and get their weapon?

The scenario starts out with "..." to suggest that that is where is diverged from YOUR scenario, ie he already heard the shots and retrieved his gun.

He knows that shooter is shooting because the shooter is firing into the other classroom.

He is "intent on firing into the classroom".

So, what do you do?

have hired professionals in schools to handle emergencies .. how many times do I need to repeat that ?

Too bad. He finished killing everyone in that classroom while you were waiting and then saw and killed you.

What does this scenario prove?

that you arent capble of dealing with reality ...

The reality is that cops are not going to protect you. We just saw that.
It is really worse than that. In general, it is not even the job of the police to protect you or anyone else. Their job is really to clean up the mess afterward and to be a deterrent.

That's it. That is also why saying the police should handle it is asinine - they are simply not going to be there to do so.

You know, when I was a member of the Security Force in Newport RI, we trained a full week each month to guard the base. That included shooting at targets, as well as learning how to hide behind things and shoot, as well as learning ammo control (no more than 3 shots at any target, some requiring just one or two).

No. I don't think that spending an hour or two at the range every month practicing shooting at stationary targets is going to cut it.

So how much time did you spend actually shooting a gun?

NEWER schools (some of them) have steel, bullet resistant doors. Most do not and never will with Republicans holding the purse strings.

Steel doors are cheaper than wood doors. The bullet proof kind are probably more expensive.However, even if bullets can penetrate the door, that doesn't mean the shooter can kill anyone inside. All the people inside have to do to avoid being shot is stand away from the door. Probably one thing they should change is adding a dead bolt to the doors which would prevent the shooter from entering without anyone having to hold the door. That alone would have saved a lot of lives in the FL shooting.
What happened at Douglas is there were kids stuck in hallways because teachers already locked the doors before they could get in. That is how many of the kids got shot. One teacher was killed because they opened the door to let a student in.

According to you based entirely on nothing at all.
Based on students beating up teachers.

Right, we are going to make sure that he doesn't buy a weapon like that. How?

And what if the next shooter uses a semi-automatic handgun? What would your solution be then?
Let’s start with better scrutinized background checks and getting people with mental health issues onto lists banning them from purchasing any semiautomatic weapon.

I thought we did that now provided there was a history of mental illness. I don't think that was the case with Cruz.

Then it boils down to what is mental illness? Anxiety that you need medication for? Attention Deficit Disorder? Obsessive Compulsive Disorder? Bipolar? Depression?
Anyone being treated for any mental illness should be barred from legally purchasing any semiautomatic weapon.

ROFL! So if your doctor prescribes a few Zoloft, that means you lose your 2nd Amendment rights?
Better than your idea to let someone who is mentally ill purchase as many AR-15’s as they want.
How would you identify such a person if he has no police record and no record of treatment for mental illness?

Better than your idea to let someone who is mentally ill purchase as many AR-15’s as they want.
How would you identify such a person if he has no police record and no record of treatment for mental illness?
As someone not known to be mentally ill.

Hallway_of_Reading_High_School-900x450.jpg

you're the Athletic Director, you're in your office (front left beside the sign over the door) - you hear shooting and kids screaming for their life .. you open the gun safe in your closet, get your Glock 23 semi auto 9mm pistol and start out the door ... at the other end of the hall theres a kid standing at the bottom of the stairs with a semi auto AR 15 spraying shots down the hall in your direction as fast as he can squeeze the trigger, and bullets whizzing by you one after the other .. lets say those stairs are at least 45-50 steps, probably more... a lengthy shot for a pistol whatever the exact distance ... under those conditions, students running every direction, crowded hallway - could

YOU

leave your room, stay under total control,take careful aim and kill or wound the shooter stopping him from killing students without hitting and injuring any kids yourself?

Ive been around guns all of my life. I started shooting .22 rimfire pistols when I was 6 - .357 mag pistols when I was 12. I rate the degree of difficulty in that exact scenario on a scale of 1-10 .. 100+

what would you do ?

So the shooter is shooting at stairway, and not people?

Seems like your own scenario proves that the policy is effective.

I am not sure if that speaks for the effectiveness of the policy or your absurd levels of stupidity. Probably both...

As someone not known to be mentally ill.

By who, people that know him? Classmates?

This is the danger of giving Democrats that kind of power; willing to take somebody's rights away because of the opinion of others.

Your scenario is not only garbage but the reality is that the point of arming people in schools is not so they seek out and take down the shooter - it is so that they can shelter in place and cover the entry ways. THAT is how you protect your class - get behind a desk and take the shooter out when he tries to enter the classroom to slaughter everyone there.

There is quite literally no way for it to go worse than it will without anyone armed - in that case the gunman simply gets to kill everyone.

Or perhaps the shooter bypasses your classroom to continue to shoot at more kids in the hall. If you're sure his back is turned against you, you can take him down with little risk to yourself.
Possibly but not really to be expected. That requires knowledge of the situation that you will likely not have. That is why sheltering in place is generally the absolute best idea.

Those kids in the class become sheep for the killer without the teacher - exactly what they are now.

I guess I'm going back in time remembering our old school. Our doors had small windows on it where you (if an adult) could look into the hallway. But even if not, I think once the noise passed my door, I would open it slightly to see if my suspicions were correct. If so, put three slugs in his back.

Forum List

Back